none
Exchange Mailbox server system protection errors RRS feed

• Question

• Recently installed DPM 2010.  Trying to get a backup for BMR.  Server is 2008 R2, with system files on C:, Exchange Databases on E:, Exchange Logs on L:, ScanMail databases on C:.  

Installed agent on server.  Created PG for DAG databases and Public Folders.  Everything works as it should.  

Tried to create a PG for BMR.  Once wizard completes, get "Replica is inconsistent" error.  Check event log on exchange server. This is what I get.   

The backup operation that started at '‎2010‎-‎12‎-‎30T20:11:33.106840900Z' has failed with following error code '2155348315'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

When I check WSB, it shows that the backup failed with unknown error 0x8078015b.  

Tried to do a consistency check.  Errors again.  This time I get a different error in the event log.

The backup operation that started at '‎2010‎-‎12‎-‎30T20:40:59.468713300Z' has failed with following error code '2155348299'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

WSB now reports, Failed.  Creating the backup location failed.  Detaild error:  Acc...

Any ideas?

Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:34 PM

Answers

• Ok, then all the pieces are doing their parts, DPM kicked off the windows backup and windows backup is writing BMR to the replica, and as noted that should not take a very long time.   It seems that this could be a networking issue, please diable TCP Chimney on both the PS and the DPM Server and try again.

From administrative command prompt run:  Netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You are going to have to isolate and fix the cause of the windows backup error.

1) Set up a network share on a remote machine \\server\bmrshare

2) From an administrative command prompt on the PS, type:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare

This should show you the list of volumes included in the BMR backup and ask "Do you want to start the backup operation?.

- Type Y to continue..

3) Troubleshoot any Windows backup problems that occur, once this works, DPM should be able to take BMR backups.

If the error isn't self expainatory, please open a thread in the Windows backup group concerning the wbadmin error.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup

4) Check the disk space required for the BMR by looking at the \\server\bmrshare and make sure the PG on the DPM server has enought disk space allocated for the replica volume to hold the BMR backup.

NOTE: BMR backup does NOT require any disk space on the PS, DPM writes directly to the DPM Servers replica volume. However, if you only select SystemState (not bmr option) - then DPM will require ~15GB free space on the PS.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:15 PM
  • Mike, thanks for your help. 

I ran wbadmin and was able to do a backup to a temporary share.  The only drive letter backed up was C:. 

I then modified the disk allocation of my PG to 40 GB for the replica volume thinking that there might not be enough space.  This is the same size as the system drive in the machine being backed up.  Still failed with:

The backup operation that started at '2010-12-31T15:39:28.392844100Z' has failed with following error code '2155348299'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

I removed the BMR option from the PG and ran with success. 

I readded the BMR option for the PG and the replica went inconsistent.  I received a dialog box that this would happen.  I then ran an inconsistency check on the replica and opened WSB on the server to watch the backup process.  The C: drive backup made it to 39% and failed.  The error code was:

The backup operation that started at '2010-12-31T17:23:27.217684300Z' has failed with following error code '2155348041'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

I ran the inconsistency check on more time and it failed again at 39% of the C: drive.  This leads me to believe that there was a problem with the disk.  I ran chkdsk on it and discovered that there were errors pertaining to the Volume Bitmap. 

Currently I am checking the replica consistency and the backup has hung at 39%.  It hasn't failed yet.  I'll add comments with the results.

Friday, December 31, 2010 6:54 PM
  • Hello,

Have you tried the following steps above proposed by Mike? Did this also fail?
    If so, then did any errors show up in the application or system event logs?

Thanks

Shane

Friday, January 14, 2011 7:59 PM
  • I am in the same situation.  I ran wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare and everything worked fine.  There were no issues and the folder created was about 35 GB.  The protection group for the server has a replica volume of over 200 GB so space is not the issue.  But when I run a Synchronization with Consistency Check from the DPM console, I never get any data transferred.  After an hour or so, there will still just be a dash in the data transferred column.  Any ideas?

Jesse

Friday, May 13, 2011 12:53 PM
  • Hi jnewbold,

Because windows server backup is transfering bmr data directly to the DPM replica volume, the DPM agent is not involved and thus cannot show the amount of data transfered. 

Friday, May 13, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Any idea why my backups keep failing then?  I did everything that you mentioned in your earlier post, and the backup succeeded just fine.

Thanks, 
    Jesse 

Friday, May 13, 2011 4:33 PM
  • What are the details of the failed BMR backup job, and what do the backup logs show on the protected server.

Windows 2008 backup logs are located in the %windir%\logs\WindowsServerBackup folder.

Friday, May 13, 2011 4:41 PM
  • My error in DPM is the same as Bill's was.  Those logs are ETL files and I am not sure how to view those.  the only difference is that I am working with a SQL box and not an Exchange box, but that should not affect anything.
    Friday, May 13, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Not much on that error except possibly 0x8078015B - Error when accessing the remote shared folder" - please stop protection for the BMR and chose to delete the replica volume, then re-protect it.  DPM will make a new replica and new share for Windows backup to backup to.
    Friday, May 13, 2011 4:58 PM
  • I did that this morning, I am about an hour and a half into it this time.  Hasnt failed yet, but it would go for a couple hours before failing sometimes before also.  Does it back up to \\dpmserver\mtatempstore$?  Should I see files in there during the backup process?

Thanks again, 
    Jesse 

Friday, May 13, 2011 5:12 PM
  • Hi,

No - Windows backup writes directly to the DPM share pointing to the replica for that BMR datasource.  If you open up resource monitor on both the PS and DPM, you should see the wbengine.exe read activity from the snapshot on the PS and / write activity to the replica volume on the DPM server. 

Friday, May 13, 2011 5:36 PM
  • Hey Mike,

As I mentioned, I had stopped protection, deleted replica on disk, and started over with that server on Friday morning.  The initial sync ran for a long time (I think a full 24 hours) and still failed.  Any idea where I should go from here?

Thanks, 
    Jesse 

Monday, May 16, 2011 2:28 PM
  • Hi,

Is any data written on the replica volume ?  Are you certain the replica volume is large enought to hold BMR backup?

While BMR backup is in progress, Start task manager, then under performance, Open up resource monitor on both the PS and DPM Server.  On the protected server you should see the wbengine.exe read activity from the \Device\harddiskVolumeShadowCopy##  - that is the snapshot taken by wbengine at the start of the backup.  On the DPM server you should see write activity to the replica volume from SYSTEM, to the path Device\harddiskVolumeX\guid\Full\C-VOL\WindowsImagebackup\Machine_name\Backup date-time\guid.vhd. 

Monday, May 16, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Yes, I have the read activity and the write activity going.  When I did the manual backup to a network share, the backup was about 35 GB.  The replica volume is at 100 GB and set to auto-grow.

Jesse

Monday, May 16, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Ok, then all the pieces are doing their parts, DPM kicked off the windows backup and windows backup is writing BMR to the replica, and as noted that should not take a very long time.   It seems that this could be a networking issue, please diable TCP Chimney on both the PS and the DPM Server and try again.

From administrative command prompt run:  Netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled

Monday, May 16, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Thanks Mike, I will try that, but the PS is our main SQL box and we will need to change any adapter settings after hours.  Our DPM server is a virtual machine, so I assume I need to disable TCP Chimney on the host machine as well as the DPM server itself?  

Thanks, 
    Jesse 

• Proposed as answer by ShaneB. _ Monday, May 16, 2011 3:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ShaneB. _ Monday, May 16, 2011 3:42 PM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Hello,

You can try it on just the DPM server first and then try it on the PS server if the behavoiur does not change.

Thanks
    Shane
    Monday, May 16, 2011 3:43 PM
  • So this may seem like a stupid question, but to disable the TCP Chimney, would I just disable the TCP Checksum Offload through Device Manager, or is that something else?

Monday, May 16, 2011 7:01 PM
  • Hello,

You can disable it via the command prompt from the operating system.  This in turn offloads it to the NIC.

To show chimney: netsh int tcp show global
    To enable chimney: netsh int tcp set global chimney=enabled
    To disable chimney: netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled

Thanks
    Shane

• Proposed as answer by ShaneB. _ Wednesday, June 1, 2011 2:38 PM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 12:46 PM
  • I disabled it on just the DPM servers and that seemed to fix it.  I got a couple days of goodbackups, but then it started failing again.  So now I am going to disable it on the SQL box itself too and see if that helps.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I always disable it on both servers, that usually takes care of the issue.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:04 PM