Migrate from WSUS 2016 to WSUS 2019 / SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have a WSUS 2016 based on SQL Server 2017.

I want to migrate to a new WSUS 2019 on the same SQL Server 2017.

Is it possible ? And if yes, how should I proceed ? I didn't find anything about this scenario.

Thank you.

Regards,

FXE

Monday, October 21, 2019 9:11 AM

Answers

• Hi FXE,

Based on your description, my understanding is that you may currently have two separate servers:

1. Windows Server 2016 with SQL database
    2. Windows Server 2019 with WSUS

If you need to make WSUS in the 2019 server use the SQL database in the 2016 server, although I have not done so, but it is theoretically feasible. During the WSUS configuration process of the 2019 server, please note the following steps to fill in the database server name and instance, and verify it.

Then you don't need any extra configuration, you can complete the subsequent wizards normally. WSUS on the 2019 server will continue to use the SQL database service located on the 2016 server and the SUSDB database in it.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:20 AM

All replies

• Monday, October 21, 2019 9:51 AM
  • Hi Udara and thank you for your answer.

I've already seen the first article but I think it was not relevant in my case because of the part about DB metadata export/import.

Focusing on this DB metadata export/import part : will I need to follow it in my case as the SQL DB is the same ?

FXE

Monday, October 21, 2019 1:13 PM
  • Hi FXE,

Based on your description, my understanding is that you may currently have two separate servers:

1. Windows Server 2016 with SQL database
    2. Windows Server 2019 with WSUS

If you need to make WSUS in the 2019 server use the SQL database in the 2016 server, although I have not done so, but it is theoretically feasible. During the WSUS configuration process of the 2019 server, please note the following steps to fill in the database server name and instance, and verify it.

Then you don't need any extra configuration, you can complete the subsequent wizards normally. WSUS on the 2019 server will continue to use the SQL database service located on the 2016 server and the SUSDB database in it.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:20 AM
  • Hi all,

Thank you Yic for your answer.

It's very simple finally ! My migration was successfully performed following your advice.

Thank you.

Regards,

FXE

Thursday, October 24, 2019 9:14 AM