selecting portions of document to print RRS feed

• Question

• I have a manual that covers two software packages, one a cut down version of the other.

I have been asked to see if I can get Word2010 to print out selected portions of the manual dependent upon the software supplied.

I immediately thought of putting everything onto seperate pages and then just selecting the relevant entries by page number but apparently this is not acceptable.

Having searched through quite a few of the answers on here and other forums I am not sure how feasible this is, but would very much appreciate it if anyone has any ideas.

Friday, May 20, 2011 1:37 PM

Answers

• I think that the best thing to do would be to create a second copy of the manual and from it delete the parts that are not relevant to the cut down version of the software.

Another method, would be to format as hidden those parts that are not relevant to the cut down version of the software and then make use of the option to turn on or off the printing of hidden text.

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"jona_20017" wrote in message news:6fa0c07b-181c-42d2-a310-be70951acce0@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have a manual that covers two software packages, one a cut down version of the other.

I have been asked to see if I can get Word2010 to print out selected portions of the manual dependent upon the software supplied.

I immediately thought of putting everything onto seperate pages and then just selecting the relevant entries by page number but apparently this is not acceptable.

Having searched through quite a few of the answers on here and other forums I am not sure how feasible this is, but would very much appreciate it if anyone has any ideas.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:10 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 9:04 PM

All replies

• I think that the best thing to do would be to create a second copy of the manual and from it delete the parts that are not relevant to the cut down version of the software.

Another method, would be to format as hidden those parts that are not relevant to the cut down version of the software and then make use of the option to turn on or off the printing of hidden text.

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"jona_20017" wrote in message news:6fa0c07b-181c-42d2-a310-be70951acce0@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have a manual that covers two software packages, one a cut down version of the other.

Having searched through quite a few of the answers on here and other forums I am not sure how feasible this is, but would very much appreciate it if anyone has any ideas.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:10 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Have now got the two manuals I need plus have set up a macro to switch between them. Again, many thanks.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:31 AM