Cannot Approve Internet Explorer 9 Update in SCE RRS feed

• Question

• I just downloaded & imported into SCE 2007 all of the OS versions of IE 9 release from the Microsoft Update Catalog web site. I approved the first one successfully & the approval process included a license agreement acknowledgement. However, when I tried to approve any of the rest of the versions, SCE runs though the 'Approval Progress' form normally, but the status of the update remains at 'Unapproved'. No license agreement acknowledgement form pops up either. The only status change I can make on these updates is from Unapproved to Declined. What's going on here? How do I fix this problem? Thanks!

J McNemar
    Friday, March 25, 2011 11:52 AM

Answers

• I opened up the Microsoft Windows Update Services (wsus) console from Administrative Tools on the SCE server and successfully approved the remaining IE 9 updates there. For each version I approved, it prompted me to accept the license agreement.

I believe the failure of SCE to allow me to approve the updates has something to do with the license agreement display. Although this procedure served as a workaround to the failure in SCE (thank you, Tim), I paid for SCE to manage my Windows Updates and this is a bug that should be fixed.

J McNemar
    • Marked as answer by jmcnemar Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:36 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you use IEAK to prepare a custom Internet Explorer 9 package? So you can consider the license agreement when customizing the package.

Customizing Internet Explorer 9 using IEAK

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 12:38 PM
  • No, I did not consider IEAK. I should not need to consider IEAK.  

I downloaded the IE 9 update from the Microsoft Update Catalog web site & it automatically imported into SCE Updates, not Software packages. There is no customization with Windows Updates deployment in SCE. And, I was able to deploy IE 8 this way just fine.

I still have the problem. Help in resolving it would be appreciated. Thanks!

J McNemar
    Monday, March 28, 2011 12:56 PM
  • i'm deploying ie through sce with no problem.  All i had to do was accept the license agreement.  It would import into updates because you got it from the update catalog, the update catalog gives you the option to import it directly.  Do you have auto-approvals configured?

Tim Magnuson | Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 |
    Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    My Blog Site: http://tmagnuson.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Tim - thanks for the information on your experience. This at least proves that SCE Updates should be able to deploy these updates.

Yes, I imported the updates for the various OS flavors into SCE's update repository from the catalog website. The odd thing was that when I started to manually approve them in SCE (I do not use auto approve), I got the license agreement for the first one (Win 7 x64) and it updated in SCE to Approved status. But, when I went to manually approve any of the other versions (Win 2008, R2, etc), although it went through the 'approving update...' screen, I did NOT get the license agreement & the updates stayed at Unapproved status.

If you are using auto approval, then I guess you won’t be able to answer the question of whether you are supposed to get the license screen for each version you are trying to manually approve in SCE?

Can anyone else answer this?

Thanks,

JMcNemar

J McNemar
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:28 PM
  • auto-approvals only take effect against updates automatically received via wsus download.  Manually importing them from the catalog doesn't fall into this rule ( at least as far as i know).  If i remember correctly, i was presented the license agreement for the first IE9 import I performed but subsequent IE9 approvals did not give me the license agreement.  I think this is because the agreement is the same for all versions of IE9, regardless of OS.  I think the only way you would be presented with a 2nd license agreement is importing IE9 configured with a different language.  I approved each OS-specific version of IE9 and all my approvals have been set to Approved for Install.  One thing you might try is setting the approval in the wsus console to see if it passes the approval to SCE.

Tim Magnuson | Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 |
    Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    My Blog Site: http://tmagnuson.wordpress.com
    • Proposed as answer by Tim Magnuson Wednesday, March 30, 2011 5:55 PM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:51 PM
  • I opened up the Microsoft Windows Update Services (wsus) console from Administrative Tools on the SCE server and successfully approved the remaining IE 9 updates there. For each version I approved, it prompted me to accept the license agreement.

I believe the failure of SCE to allow me to approve the updates has something to do with the license agreement display. Although this procedure served as a workaround to the failure in SCE (thank you, Tim), I paid for SCE to manage my Windows Updates and this is a bug that should be fixed.

J McNemar
    • Marked as answer by jmcnemar Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:36 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:35 PM
  • That work around worked for me as well.  Normally SCE will prompt me to accept any license agreements but in the case of the IE9 updates it never did.  However going into the WSUS snap in and approving them there worked.  
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:49 PM
  • This work around also worked. However, I had tried to decline one of the IE9 updates (for Windows Server 2008).  To clear the update from the SCE unapproved list, I had to search through the declined updates in the WSUS tool using 'Explorer 9' as the search term, then approved that for installation.  That did the trick.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 6:59 AM