none
Problem with configuring the permission to work the RBS. Server Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using Project Server 2010 and I have a problem with configuring the permission to work the RBS.

In My Case:

- Director has Portfolio Manager “Security Level”

- Managers have Resources Manager “Security Level”

- Teams Leads have Project Manager “Security Level” (they create project, create tasks, build team, and assign tasks to resources)

- Teams Members have Team Member “Security Level” (they update tasks progress)..

When a Team Lead creates a project:

- only his team members can view the project. They can also update the tasks assigned to them.

- if any member from any other team is a resource in the Team Lead project, this resource can also can view the project and only update the task related to him.

** In general the team member Only View the projects related to their team (not others) and update the tasks related to them (unless they were select as a resource for other project)

** The managers can view the projects of the teams under them.

** The director can view ALL the projects of ALL the teams.

In My Scenario:

I have 2 users:

User_1 Role = Project Manager (He is a Team Lead)

User_1 RBS = Director.Manager_1.TeamLead_1

User_1 Category Permission = Only My Projects and My Resources

User_2 Role = Team Member

User_2 RBS = Director.Manager_1.TeamLead_2.TeamMember1

User_2 Category Permission = Only My Task

The PROBLEM is: the User_2 can still view User_1 projects despite he is not a member in his team nor a resource in his project

I would appreciate any advise or help.z

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 12:00 PM

Answers

• HI

Open my Project categories section and see below there are few options with check boxes in that uncheck all the options and check the first option ie., as shown below and try again

Hope this will help you. Project managers security group generally we will add my projects category thats why manager 2 is able to see the project of manager 1.

If you are using RBS then select the 3rd option also.

Geeth If you feel that the answer which i gave you is Helpful please select it as Answer/helpful.

• Edited by Geetha Chaitanya Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:53 AM edited
    • Marked as answer by new_page Wednesday, September 10, 2014 5:15 AM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:52 AM

All replies

• Hi new_page,

You have to "play" with the "project" section in the category associated to the team member security group. 

Find the table below in this link: 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197354(v=office.15).aspx#section3

Basically for the team member "my task" category, you should just have "The user is on that project's Project Team" checked. Doing this, team member will only see projects they are in the project team.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 2:30 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

I have been "playing" with section you mentioned since yesterday, but I could reach my goal :(

An example of the problem is as following:

Manager 1 is added to both “Project Managers” and “Resource Managers”. Accordingly he is added to “My Projects” category permission.

Manager2.TeamLead1 (not a descendent of Manager 1) is added to only “Project Managers” and accordingly he is added to “My Projects” category permission.

I want (Manager2.TeamLead1)’s projects to viewable only for his Manager 2 (and the Director), not for Manager 1, because the Manager1 is not responsible for managing his work

How can I achieve that ?? :)

Thanks,

Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:37 AM
  • For "my project" category, did you check the 1st and 3rd checkboxes in my screenshot above?

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Thursday, March 6, 2014 2:55 PM
  • HI

Open my Project categories section and see below there are few options with check boxes in that uncheck all the options and check the first option ie., as shown below and try again

Hope this will help you. Project managers security group generally we will add my projects category thats why manager 2 is able to see the project of manager 1.

If you are using RBS then select the 3rd option also.

Geeth If you feel that the answer which i gave you is Helpful please select it as Answer/helpful.

• Edited by Geetha Chaitanya Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:53 AM edited
    • Marked as answer by new_page Wednesday, September 10, 2014 5:15 AM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:52 AM