none
DPM Detected an unkonwn DPM Protection agent RRS feed

• Question

• I installed a DPM Agent manually.

then I did a SetDPMServer on the agent machine which was successful

I also went on the DPM Server and ran Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 and that also was successful.

Now when I run the DPM Admin Console, I get the error

Data Protection Manager Error ID: 307

The protection agent operation failed because DPM detected an unknown DPM Protection agent on machine

Use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel to uninstall the protection agent from machine, then reinstall the protection agent and perform the operation again.

I did uninstall and reinstall several times, but it always failed.

If I install the agent from the DPMConsole itself then everything is fine and after installation the agent status is OK. What am I missing in the manual install?

Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Just to be sure, make sure the verison of the agent you are installing is the same verison/build as the DPM server.

Are there any DPMRA event errors in the application event log on the server you are trying to protect? If so please post them here.

Thanks,

Marc

• Marked as answer by MSDN Student Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:15 AM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 6:11 PM

All replies

• Go to Management -> Agents in Dpm UI and refresh the information for that agent.

What error do you see (Or is this error seen there) ?

Thanks,
    Arun

Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:32 PM
  • yes refreshed many times, but it keeps giving the same error. This doesn't happen when the agent is installed via the UI.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Please help me out with this. I tried on many different computers and the manual installed agent always appears as "Error" in DPM Console and it says

Data Protection Manager Error ID: 307

The protection agent operation failed because DPM detected an unknown DPM Protection agent on machine

Use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel to uninstall the protection agent from machine, then reinstall the protection agent and perform the operation again.

Friday, March 25, 2011 6:57 AM
  • Hi,

Just to be sure, make sure the verison of the agent you are installing is the same verison/build as the DPM server.

Are there any DPMRA event errors in the application event log on the server you are trying to protect? If so please post them here.

Thanks,

Marc

• Marked as answer by MSDN Student Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:15 AM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 6:11 PM
  • I noticed that the binaries had a mismatch. the process works perfectly If I take the agent binary from the DPM Server directory.

I now recollect that I had downloaded the agent binary separately from the web.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:16 AM