Unable to extend display over 2 monitors RRS feed

• Question

• So I have looked at the solutions you've provided to people and I am still stuck.

I have two identical monitors which used to be fine at extended displays on. But with Win 7 PRO whenever I extend the display - it says "Unable to save display settings" - no further info.

- Both monitors ARE being detected in the display properties and in the correct configuration order
    - I have them connected on a splitter cable (DVI > DVI/VGA)
    - The DVI (Monitor 1) is the primary monitor and works fine
    - The VGA (Monitor 2) is detected but will not extend or duplicate
    - I can switch display between Monitor 1 and 2 and Monitor 2 (VGA) will display - so it is working!!
    - I can't connect the monitors without the splitter as my Video Card only has DVI and HDMI and these monitors do not have HDMI connections

I have just recently upgraded PC, so I'll give you the specs to help me figure out what is happening and how to fix it.

Monitor 1: Dell1708FB
    Monitor 2: Dell1708FB
    Video Card: Sapphire AMD Radeon Dual-X R90 280 X
    Video Card Driver: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
    Driver version: 14.301.1001.0

Friday, October 10, 2014 10:28 PM

Answers

• I suspect the splitter cable is the problem in terms of how your video card is acting. I would use an HDMI to DVI cable or adapter for one of them and a straight DVI cable for the other.

Here's one such well reviewed inexpensive item.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882422117&cm_re=dvi_to_hdmi_adapter-_-82-422-117-_-Product

Others here
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=dvi+to+hdmi+adapter&N=100006519&isNodeId=1

• Marked as answer by reedoo Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:22 AM
    Saturday, October 11, 2014 7:06 PM
  • I'm not sure if Sapphire are pulling my leg but they have replied that;

"AMD never certified this kind of DVI/VGA splitter cable , the correct connection should as below -
    1. Directly using a DVI to VGA adapter from our card's DVI-I port to VGA monitor.
    2. Directly connecting DVI cable from our card's DVI-D port."

So even though their pin configuration is of a DVI-I (Dual Link) - it does not operate on a splitter cable.

I am shocked to say the least but GTS-NJ got it right.

• Marked as answer by reedoo Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:23 AM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:22 AM

All replies

• Uhm... I am only using TWO monitors as stated, and I am not running a laptop. I said it was a PC.
    Saturday, October 11, 2014 12:33 AM
  • I suspect the splitter cable is the problem in terms of how your video card is acting. I would use an HDMI to DVI cable or adapter for one of them and a straight DVI cable for the other.

Here's one such well reviewed inexpensive item.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882422117&cm_re=dvi_to_hdmi_adapter-_-82-422-117-_-Product

Others here
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=dvi+to+hdmi+adapter&N=100006519&isNodeId=1

• Marked as answer by reedoo Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:22 AM
    Saturday, October 11, 2014 7:06 PM
  • I think that is an easy cop-out of a solution. I have previously used the splitter cable in the past on a Windows system as well as with other video cards.

I have submitted an IT ticket on the Sapphire support system to check your theory though. I highly doubt they will say their card is not compatible with splitter cables but it is possible.

Sunday, October 12, 2014 10:25 PM
  • Hi reedoo,

Any update here?

If you have found any possible solutions (or the information from the manfacturer) regarding the issue , it would be very kind of you to share it here, which would be very helpful for the others who will read this thread.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Michael_LS Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:47 AM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:47 AM
  • I'm not sure if Sapphire are pulling my leg but they have replied that;

"AMD never certified this kind of DVI/VGA splitter cable , the correct connection should as below -
    1. Directly using a DVI to VGA adapter from our card's DVI-I port to VGA monitor.
    2. Directly connecting DVI cable from our card's DVI-D port."

So even though their pin configuration is of a DVI-I (Dual Link) - it does not operate on a splitter cable.

I am shocked to say the least but GTS-NJ got it right.

• Marked as answer by reedoo Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:23 AM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:22 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your sharing and update.

The information you shared would help the others who might encounter the same issue.

If any further help needed, please feel free to ask in TechNet.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 16, 2014 1:51 AM