User ID stopped being recognized when I added my personal account to the Authenticator app RRS feed

• Question

• I successfully logged into my Microsoft personal account in using my user ID, password and the authentication code sent to my Android phone. I saw the information about the Microsoft Authenticator app so I installed the app on my Android phone and added my account to the app.  Now every attempt to log in is met with "we do not recognize this User ID or password". I have attempted to log in with my password and with the code generated by the Authenticator app to no avail.  I get the same response when I attempt to reset my password.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks, Mike

New Inormation:

Just successfully logged into my Microsoft personal account on my android device and yet my user ID is still unrecognized when I attempt to log in from my laptop.

• Edited by Mmuy Sunday, April 2, 2017 8:22 PM
    Sunday, April 2, 2017 6:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Mmuy

Based on my knowledge, for a Microsoft account, when you add it to Authenticator app, it will not affect you use a password login your app.

we do not recognize this User ID or password

According to the error log, it seems that your User iD or password is not right. You could check as the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2853347/-we-don-t-recognize-this-user-id-or-password-error-when-a-user-tries-to-sign-in-to-the-office-365-portal

When you add your Microsoft account to Authenticator app, you could login your account without password, maybe you could try.

Regards,

Walter

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Libby Brown [MSFT] Monday, April 10, 2017 9:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mmuy Monday, April 10, 2017 10:44 PM
    Monday, April 3, 2017 7:21 AM
  • Thanks for your response Walter.  It got me looking in what I think may be the right direction.  

It appears my problem may be that I have two different types Microsoft accounts which use the same email address for user ID and that my Office 365 account logs in just fine with the Authenticator if I do so from the account.microsoft.com page. However if I attempt to log in through login.microsoftonline.com it offers me a choice of personal account or business/school account and regardless of which of these I choose it sends me to business/school account where is fails to recognize the user ID for either  log in or password reset.  Slightly confusing.  

The good news is I can log in and manage my Office 365 and OneDrive, the bad news is I really have no idea what I used the other account for and I have no recollection of when I may have created it.  I may have to see if there is a way to somehow delete or merge this other account so the login.microsoftonline page will discontinue offering me the account choice.

Thanks Again,

Mike

Monday, April 3, 2017 11:47 AM