none
PowerPoint Show (PPSX) no longer open in presenation mode. RRS feed

• Question

• We recently migrated a SharePoint (On Premise) project from IE 10 / Office 2010 / SharePoint 2013 to IE 11 / Office 2016 / SharePoint 2016.

On our old SP 2013 platform, we could open PPSX files stored in a SharePoint document library so they open in full-screen presentation mode directly. This works as long as the IE add-on "Office Document Cache Handler" (urlredir.dll, file version 14.0.7011.0) is enabled.

On the new SP 2016 platform, PPSX files open always in edit mode when opening from SharePoint. The IE add-on seems to be no more available for Office 2016. I suspect that the missing add-on causes the changed behavior.

My Questions:

• Is there an "Office Document Cache Handler" add-on available which works with IE 11 / Office 2016 / SharePoint 2016? Or was the add-on replaced by something else (other add-on or built-in IE functionality)?
    • Is there a way to open PPSX files in PowerPoint directly in presentation mode?

Monday, July 22, 2019 1:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Andreas,

The "Office Document Cache Handler" add-on is still available in IE11 for SharePoint 2016 and Office 2016. 

Per my test in my SharePoint 2016 environment, this add-on is disabled by default and has trouble being re-enabled. This add-on was first released to work with Office 2010 in Windows 7, so it is possible to have compatibility issue with Office 2016 in IE11.

Currently, there is no alternative for this add-on in IE11 and no workaround to open a PPSX file directly in slide show mode if the file is from SharePoint Server 2016. You need to click “Slide Show” in the PPSX file to do the presentation.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 6:42 AM
  • Hello Chelsea

How is the add-on made available? I do not have an urlredir.dll on my system even though Office 2016 is installed. Please let me know where I ca get it.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 7:25 AM
  • Hi Andreas,

You can get the "Office Document Cache Handler" add-on from the link below and put it under this location:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15

Please note that this file is a component installed with Office by default. Even if you get this add-on, it will possibly not be working in your new environment.

Please refer to the link below for the dll file.

Download URLREDIR.DLL and Troubleshoot DLL Errors.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 8:14 AM
  • Hi Andreas,

I'm checking how it is going on with this issue.

Please remember to update this thread if you have any progress.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Friday, July 26, 2019 7:27 AM
  • Hello Chelsea

I cannot integrate a DLL from an untrusted source into the project. And even if someone with the same problem would be willing to, it is o clear if the add-on works with Office 2016.

I assume that the add-on was abandoned with Office 2016. I am currently writing my own. Thank you for your support.

Monday, July 29, 2019 11:27 AM
  • Hi Andreas,

You can mark your latest reply as the answer if you would like, so that it will help others who meet the similar question in this forum. 

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 1:08 AM