how Audit log works? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi sharepoint experts,

We have a site collection and inside that we have subsites, ow in one of the subsites, we have a list "Admin". We need to have audit log feature enabled, only for this particular list on item modifications. SO that, whenever there is change in item , it will get captured in audit log, later we will be using this excel file for reporting stuff.

We want to achieve this functionality withiut any code. Is there any no code solution for this? Please help

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rohit

Monday, November 28, 2011 11:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Rohit,

As far as I know there isn't any OOTB way to get item level auditing in SharePoint 2007.

And as you don't want to use any codes, enable OOTB auditing on site

Collect data of site modification and export / save it to Excel and then after filter it for the specific list.

This is just for your reference if you want to create any custom solution using codes for item level auditing 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb397403(v=office.12).aspx#MOSS2007ItemLevelAudit_ItemLevelAuditingACustomAuditingSolution

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/ | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by Zoeb S Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by star.warsModerator Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:44 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:19 AM
  • Hi,

Audit logs can be enabled at the site collection only. 

If it is ok for you then you can go to site collection administration and can enable audit logs.

However as you have mentioned that you want to track changes in one list only and not anywhere else, I am suggesting some non conventional steps:

1. Create another list and name it something like audit_listname or anything else.

2. Create a SPD workflow that will fired up upon any change in Admin list. This workflow will add an entry in audit_listname. You can capture data from the fields you desired to capture from Admin list and you can map these values by creating new columns in audit_listname and mapping them.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Rohit,

As far as I know there isn't any OOTB way to get item level auditing in SharePoint 2007.

And as you don't want to use any codes, enable OOTB auditing on site

Collect data of site modification and export / save it to Excel and then after filter it for the specific list.

This is just for your reference if you want to create any custom solution using codes for item level auditing 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb397403(v=office.12).aspx#MOSS2007ItemLevelAudit_ItemLevelAuditingACustomAuditingSolution

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/ | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by Zoeb S Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by star.warsModerator Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:44 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:19 AM
  • Hi,

Audit logs can be enabled at the site collection only. 

If it is ok for you then you can go to site collection administration and can enable audit logs.

However as you have mentioned that you want to track changes in one list only and not anywhere else, I am suggesting some non conventional steps:

1. Create another list and name it something like audit_listname or anything else.

2. Create a SPD workflow that will fired up upon any change in Admin list. This workflow will add an entry in audit_listname. You can capture data from the fields you desired to capture from Admin list and you can map these values by creating new columns in audit_listname and mapping them.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:47 AM