none
SBS 2011 Partition Sizes

Question

• I am going to be setting up a SBS 2011 and have a question on partition size. The server will have two 500 GB drives in RAID 1 configuration. Should I setup SBS 2011 with a 120GB C: drive and the remainder in a D: drive, or am I just as well off having a single maximum size C: drive.

I want to get this right the first time so your advice is welcome.

Thanks, George Beckwith

Sunday, July 24, 2011 1:49 AM

Answers

• And it drives me crazy to have the CD/DVD as D.  Much prefer the usable drives in order, so as soon as the OS finishes installing I use Disk Manament to change the CD/DVD to R (from the days when the were "ROM").  At this point there are almost no references to it in the registry, so it is easy to change any that do exist from d:\ to r:\ with regedit, edit, find, F3.

Then the next partition created can be D (DATA) as the partitioning deity intended.  Others are also numonic, as in, if you prefer, E for Exchange, W for WSUS and M for Misc. Downloads., of which the last two do not need to be backed up.

Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 4:19 PM
  • Personally, I'd blow away the Dell config and prove to myself that I can set the system up using nothing but the supplied CDs.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 3:06 AM
  • The Dell T410 I got last week came with 120G C: and the balance (1.2T) as E:.  I've not tried to repartition this machine but I have used the shrink feature on my test system to resize both a straight 2008R2 and SBS 2011 with no detectable problems.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 4:44 AM
  • Can I reliably shrink the C: drive to 120GB and then create my other partitions (drives) or should I just do a clean install with my planned three drives + CD/DVD?

George Beckwith

George:

That is a Yes and no Answer.
    Shrink Reliably YES, However,
    Sometimes when  you try to shrink there are "Unmovable Files" on the C Drive Placed Beyond what you want to shrink too.

(I wish MS would solve an UNMOVABLE Files) Anwyay.
    yes Shrink works, and Reliable just fails when there is a MS File Out beyond where you want to shrink too.

This is why Gumby likes to Blow away and rebuild so the partitions are for SURE the size you want.
    :)

And honestly I don't blame him for wanting to do this ;)

Russ

Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
    Remote Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
    Redirect to Microsoft's SBS Public Forum - www.SBSrepair.com
    Redirect to Microsoft's SBS Essentials Support - www.SBSErepair.com

Monday, July 25, 2011 6:15 PM
  • No, the purpose of my 'blow away' has very little to do with partition sizes. Even if it came out of the factory with well sized partitions I'd still want to do the build m'self, simply to prove that I can. The whole idea being 'I have a blank HDD and some CDs/DVDs, can I build this system using just these items?'.

Too often, in the past, I've had (for example) a Dell server install CD that doesn't recognise SBS media, or passes incorrect parameters to the install. All too often the drivers on the install CD are not optimal, or not present (though this doesn't happen that often with Dell, thinking about other boxes). Do I need to update the BIOS?

and most times, yes, I also want to change the partitioning. It's just that this is not the primary motivation for the exercise.

Monday, July 25, 2011 6:42 PM

All replies

• Hi George,

Because it is just one disk there are no performance benefits to create 2 partitions and split system and data partition.

We always split the partitions because of uniformity (all customers have the same partitioning) and backup and recovery (in case of disaster we recover first the system partition so people can start working and restore data afterwards).

If you choose to create separete partition there are some easy wizards to move data from the system partition to the other partition.
    Look here for additional information: http://blog.ronnypot.nl/?p=450

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 5:40 AM
  • Ronny is correct,
    To add to his post.

Partioning in your case would build a better recovery points.

Example on C: I put only the OS and using the Wizards MOVE SharePoint, Exchange, User Files off.
    This way when you recover C: Drive you don't have any data discrepancies.

I typically create
    C: OS
    D: (CD-ROM)
    E: Exchange (At least 2X Data size for OFFLINE defrag)
    F: Data/User/WSUS/Sharepoint

If they plan to USE SharePoint a lot I put SharePoint on a another Partition.
    (These are just guidelines)
    And I do this manually because of the easy way to restore parts.

In your case I'd probably do something like
    C: 120GB
    E: 170GB
    F: 175GB

However I'd be thinking of getting Another set of Drives and just moving all of F: on to them.

For 500GB
    Less on E: of you have few users.
    (remember for a offline Defrag of Exchange you need 2x space)

I'd turn OFF Shadow Coppies on C: and E: and only have it on F:

This if course is just an Opinion you are free to do what you wish.
    I hope this helps
    Russ

Sunday, July 24, 2011 6:35 AM
  • And it drives me crazy to have the CD/DVD as D.  Much prefer the usable drives in order, so as soon as the OS finishes installing I use Disk Manament to change the CD/DVD to R (from the days when the were "ROM").  At this point there are almost no references to it in the registry, so it is easy to change any that do exist from d:\ to r:\ with regedit, edit, find, F3.

Then the next partition created can be D (DATA) as the partitioning deity intended.  Others are also numonic, as in, if you prefer, E for Exchange, W for WSUS and M for Misc. Downloads., of which the last two do not need to be backed up.

Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 4:19 PM
  • This is very good and much appreaciated information.

One related question - the Sever is coming from Dell preloaded with SBS 2011. While I have not yet seen it I am expecting it will come with a single max size C: drive. Can I reliably shrink the C: drive to 120GB and then create my other partitions (drives) or should I just do a clean install with my planned three drives + CD/DVD?

Again thanks for all your help,

George Beckwith

George Beckwith
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:21 AM
  • Personally, I'd blow away the Dell config and prove to myself that I can set the system up using nothing but the supplied CDs.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 3:06 AM
  • The Dell T410 I got last week came with 120G C: and the balance (1.2T) as E:.  I've not tried to repartition this machine but I have used the shrink feature on my test system to resize both a straight 2008R2 and SBS 2011 with no detectable problems.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 4:44 AM
  • Can I reliably shrink the C: drive to 120GB and then create my other partitions (drives) or should I just do a clean install with my planned three drives + CD/DVD?

George Beckwith

George:

That is a Yes and no Answer.
    Shrink Reliably YES, However,
    Sometimes when  you try to shrink there are "Unmovable Files" on the C Drive Placed Beyond what you want to shrink too.

(I wish MS would solve an UNMOVABLE Files) Anwyay.
    yes Shrink works, and Reliable just fails when there is a MS File Out beyond where you want to shrink too.

This is why Gumby likes to Blow away and rebuild so the partitions are for SURE the size you want.
    :)

And honestly I don't blame him for wanting to do this ;)

Russ

Monday, July 25, 2011 6:15 PM
  • No, the purpose of my 'blow away' has very little to do with partition sizes. Even if it came out of the factory with well sized partitions I'd still want to do the build m'self, simply to prove that I can. The whole idea being 'I have a blank HDD and some CDs/DVDs, can I build this system using just these items?'.

Too often, in the past, I've had (for example) a Dell server install CD that doesn't recognise SBS media, or passes incorrect parameters to the install. All too often the drivers on the install CD are not optimal, or not present (though this doesn't happen that often with Dell, thinking about other boxes). Do I need to update the BIOS?

and most times, yes, I also want to change the partitioning. It's just that this is not the primary motivation for the exercise.

Monday, July 25, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Thank you everyone. Unbelievable response. Will definitely blow it away if it comes max size C:, and probably in any event.

I have another question regardiang Migration alternatives, but I think I better put it in a seperate thread.

George Beckwith

George Beckwith
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:03 AM
  • Turns out that the 120G for C: is the minimum recommended and that Microsoft would really like it to be the first partition on the first disk.  For details see Microsoft Showcase: SBS2011 Standard Technical Training - Module 2 Install - Migrate
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:37 AM