none
Edit unattend.xml file - No catalog, 64bit install.wim on 64bit 8.1 EnterpriseOS RRS feed

• Question

• Environment:

OS the MDT is installed on: Server 2012 R2 Datacenter x64 

OS I am attempting to image: Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64

Logged on with user that is domain admin as well as explicitly added to the local administrators group. 

I'm trying to edit the unattend.xml file within Deployment Workbench on a task sequence.  It is coming up with an error message as follows: 

PROGRESS: 10: Mounting Windows image: E:\images\Operating Systems\Surface 8.1 Ent Base Image\Sources\install.wim. This might take a few minutes.
    ERROR: Unable to generate catalog on E:\images\Operating Systems\Surface 8.1 Ent Base Image\Sources\install.wim: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.WimImageInfo.PreCreateCatalog()
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageInfo.CreateCatalog()
       at Microsoft.BDD.Catalog.Program.DoCatalog()

And then a dialog comes up with not being able to create a catalog file. 

I've used handle to find out if there is a currently open lock on the file, and the only listed is for the deployment workbench (the mmc process itself). 

I've tried to use the Windows System Image Manager to create the catalog file which comes up with a different error message,  16:12 : System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): A required privilege is not held by the client. 

I then tried rebooting the machine and launching the commands manually by using powershell (as admin)

Import-Module "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\bin\MicrosoftDeploymentToolkit.psd1"
    get-MDTOperatingSystemCatalog -ImageFile "E:\images\Operating Systems\Surface 8.1 Ent Base Image\Sources\install.wim" -Index "1"

which has come up with the same message, (0x80004005): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.  

As a test I gave the user account every permission in user rights assignment after seeing the message in WSIM, and this still occured.

Can anyone give some steer as to what may be the issue here, please? 

Thanks.

Monday, September 29, 2014 3:19 PM

Answers

• Okay, the WIM file was access for everyone at full permissions. 

The file was definitely not being accessed (used process view and handle to verify). 

I tried logging on as local administrator which did not work. 

I ended up taking the machine off of the domain, trying it, which worked. I'm convinced this is a permissions issue, but am currently unable to investigate further. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this eventually. Yay! 

Systems and Solutions Analyst

• Marked as answer by Toni-M Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:52 PM
    • Edited by Toni-M Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:55 PM typo
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You could try to disable UAC on the server then test again.

Regards,

Mickael,
    My technet galleries contributions :
    ConfigMgr driver injector
    SCCM Collection splitter
    ConfigMgr TS Tools
    Customize WinPE images with powershell

Monday, September 29, 2014 4:14 PM
  • Could be your (non-microsoft) antivirus program?

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, September 29, 2014 9:12 PM
  • Hi, thanks for the replies.  I had no AV installed beforehand (as a test)

I completely disabled UAC (registry edit) and rebooted, and the error message using the deployment workbench changed to 

ERROR: Unable to generate catalog on E:\images\Operating Systems\Surface 8.1 Ent Base Image\Sources\install.wim: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): A required privilege is not held by the client

which matches the one from WSIM now, so at least the messages are now all consistent. I'll update this if I find the resolution. 

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:55 AM
  • It might be Worth to check the Wim file properties (ACL, attributes, owner...) something may have gone wrong with that file.

Mickael,
    My technet galleries contributions :
    ConfigMgr driver injector
    SCCM Collection splitter
    ConfigMgr TS Tools
    Customize WinPE images with powershell

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:12 AM
  • Okay, the WIM file was access for everyone at full permissions. 

The file was definitely not being accessed (used process view and handle to verify). 

I tried logging on as local administrator which did not work. 

I ended up taking the machine off of the domain, trying it, which worked. I'm convinced this is a permissions issue, but am currently unable to investigate further. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this eventually. Yay! 

Systems and Solutions Analyst

• Marked as answer by Toni-M Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:52 PM
    • Edited by Toni-M Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:55 PM typo
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:52 PM