none
mailbox move in exchange 2007 stalls while showing more items than are actually in subfolder RRS feed

  • Question

  • Here's an interesting one I haven't experienced before. I am bulk moving mailboxes from SG to SG and notice that some mailboxes stall while showing exponentially more items in a subfolder than are actually there. For example one user's mailbox got about 25 minutes in to a move when it suddenly started reporting a burst in contacts in the contacts folder. It shows that the folder contains 499 contacts but burst all the way up to 6031 contacts so the status looks like this...

    Status: Moving messages. Suggested contacts (6031/499)

    the graphic move bar then converts to the same motion as when it is in the state of opening the mailbox to begin the move or initiating the move (the "cylon").

    this seems to happen to only a few mailboxes but it's jamming up my works as I have to retire the storage subsystem the old storage groups are on and I'm getting stuck on moving these mailboxes. I thought it might be doing some kind of mailbox cleanup or something so I waited 12 hours and tried it again - no luck.

    I'm going to try using powershell to do the move and see if that works but any help you can provide will be appreciated.

    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:39 PM

All replies

  • You might try running ISINTEG -Fix -Pri -Test AllTests.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:05 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

     

    Does the issue occur on certain mailbox or each one when moving it to another SG?

     

    If the issue occurs on each one, please let me know. Otherwise, I suggest you export the mailbox data to PST file. Then, you can remove the data and move the mailbox again to check the result.

     

    Thanks.

    Novak


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, April 25, 2011 6:02 AM
  • I am running into the same issue.

    how did you end up moving those troublesome mailboxes?

     

    Sunday, May 8, 2011 9:50 PM
  • I went in to each mailbox and archived some of the older stuff. I archived everything a year old or older and that seemed to do the trick. no idea what the problem actually was though.
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:54 PM
  • Had the same issue here even after exporting all the email and deleting it from the mailbox. Only After I removed all the Suggested contacts the mailbox was transferred successfully to the new server.
    • Proposed as answer by Ultra Exe Monday, November 28, 2011 12:43 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 12:42 PM
  • I have actually found a much better solution for this.

    1. Login to outlook web access as the problematic user.

    2. Once you are logged in, click manage folders and delete the Suggested contacts folder from under contacts.

    3. Once that has been deleted you will need to delete the suggested contacts folder from the deleted items.

    Try the mailbox move again and it will work perfectly!

    Regards,

    Alex


    Monday, February 1, 2016 12:02 PM