AD Topology MP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Dears,

I have below issue which is confusing me, please see the snapshot:

1. SCOM is 2012 R2 on Windows Server 2012 R2 installed in Test.Local Forest
    2. My 3 DCs are Windows 2008 R2
    3. I have only One forest with 1 Domain "Test.local" inside where SCOM is deployed + a trust with another forest "VDI.Test"
    4. SCOM Agent is deployed to my 3 DCs in the "Test.Local"
    5. Agent Proxy is enabled on my 3 DCs
    6. Discovery and Monitoring for my 3 DCs is working fine
    7. I have enabled override Auto agent discovery and configured it with correct paths for SCOM and PowerShell
    8. My Action Account is Domain user and have Administrator privilege on SCOM Management Server, and local administrator on the Management Server (I have only 1 Management Server)

My Questions:

1. Shall I put action account as built-in administrator in AD Users and Computer?
    2. How to get my AD Topology in Monitor State?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 9:41 AM

Answers

• To resolve this problem, turn off script blocking in your security or antivirus program

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer" Mai Ali | My blog: Technical | Twitter: Mai Ali

• Proposed as answer by Alexis Yakovlev Thursday, May 8, 2014 1:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jean M Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:44 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 11:48 AM

All replies

• 1- yes,you shall put action account as built-in administrator in AD Users and Computer to can monitor.

2- To get AD topology in monitor state, you need to verify from following:

• All the "AD Topology Root" discoveries & monitors are enabled
    • Enable proxy agent on All AD.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer" Mai Ali | My blog: Technical | Twitter: Mai Ali

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 11:35 AM
  • Hi Mai Ali,

• I checked the Action Account, and yes it is in Build-in Administrator in AD
    • I checked Agent proxy, my 3 DCs have the check box enabled for Proxy
    • For AD Topology, Yes I did it for discovery, For monitoring it is enabled by default

I am still not able to get AD Topology Root in Monitored State.

How can I diagnostic this problem?

Thursday, May 8, 2014 6:08 AM
  • Hi Jean,

Did you install .NETframework 3.5 on management server?

Topology Views of the Active Directory Management Pack needed .Network Framework 3.5 installed as part of the installation. Once this was installed all the topology views started discovering the AD objects within a few minutes.

Also you can refer below link {it's helpful}

http://www.systemcentercentral.com/forums-archive/topic/active-directory-topology-view-not-being-monitored/

Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:09 AM
  • Hi Jean,

Did you install .NETframework 3.5 on management server?

Topology Views of the Active Directory Management Pack needed .Network Framework 3.5 installed as part of the installation. Once this was installed all the topology views started discovering the AD objects within a few minutes.

Also you can refer below link {it's helpful}

http://www.systemcentercentral.com/forums-archive/topic/active-directory-topology-view-not-being-monitored/

Yes, I have it :(
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:31 AM
  • Can you confirm that the AD MP Helper Objects are installed and operational?

Its also worth checking that the OpsMgr Latency OU exists (the name can differ slightly depending on the verion of SCOM).

Take a look at the following thread for a similar issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/76305368-872d-4a93-8f50-faad53aeea8a/active-directory-not-monitored

• Edited by Chunky.1 Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:42 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:38 AM
  • Can you confirm that the AD MP Helper Objects are installed and operational?

How to check this?
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:46 AM
  • You'll see scripts failing if these aren't working correctly, check the OpsMgr log first and check for any open alerts for the DC's...
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 11:06 AM
  • You'll see scripts failing if these aren't working correctly, check the OpsMgr log first and check for any open alerts for the DC's...

NOthing is failing,,,, opsmgr logs is fine!!!
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 11:17 AM
  • Did you have .Net framework 3.5 on All DC?

If not, can you please install it and then restart services and check if it's monitoring?

Thursday, May 8, 2014 11:20 AM
  • Did you have .Net framework 3.5 on All DC?

If not, can you please install it and then restart services and check if it's monitoring?

On DCs it is like this:

I wish we do not need WCF Activation....

Is this okay?

Thursday, May 8, 2014 11:27 AM
  • Yes, it's okay.

Please, check below link

http://eksafha.blogspot.com/2013/02/scom-ad-topology-monitor-views-show-not.html

Thursday, May 8, 2014 11:32 AM
  • I have noted the following:

On DC01 I can run Run both Install and Repair.

On DC02 and DC03 Repair is working with no message at the end, while Install Give bellow error

Any Advice please?

Full Log:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MsiInstaller
    Date:          5/8/2014 2:29:42 PM
    Event ID:      11720
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          domain\user
    Computer:     dc03.domain.local
    Description:
    Product: Active Directory Management Pack Helper Object -- Error 1720. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Custom action RESET_PATH script error -2147467259, Msi API Error: TargetPath,Folder Line 1, Column 1, 

• Edited by Jean M Thursday, May 8, 2014 11:46 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 11:42 AM
  • To resolve this problem, turn off script blocking in your security or antivirus program

• Marked as answer by Jean M Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:44 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 11:48 AM
  • I have found that you can also by pass having to turn off script blocking at least by utilizing CMD/Powershell and MSIEXEC as an admin running the install.

This can be done by:

Open Start enter CMD right click and "Run as Administrator" on CMD

Navigate to correct version of OOMADS.MSI

CD "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Monitoring Agent\Agent\HelperObjects" 

- Or your appropriate path depending on version or if you copied it from another server. 

Msiexec /i oomads.msi

This properly launched the install in an administrative mode for me and ran as expected. 

• Proposed as answer by Jordan Benzing Wednesday, October 21, 2015 5:55 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 8:10 PM