Vista stops running programs RRS feed

• Question

• I have Visa Ultimate (32bit) with SP 1 running on an E-Machine AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ 2DHZ with 4 GB of memory.  Prior to running Ultimate I was running Vista Business on the same system with no problems.  I am signed on as the system administrator and have full rights to the system.

The OS was installed clean.  The drive was fully reformat and tested.  Software runs without error ie: I am running Office 2007 with no problems.  However, after working on the system for sometime the system stops running any programs including internal commands.  I receive the following error(s):

C:\Programs Files\Intenet Explorer\iexplore.exe (this is an example this error will be for any program that I try to run.)

"Windows cannot access the specified device path or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the term."

When I can access the properties for the program under the security tab it shows that the Admnistrator has "no" rights to anything.  This problem occurs after working on the system for many hours.  It can happen while I am work or if the systems is doing nothing.  However, it happens every day.  It takes time 6-8 hours but it does happen everyday. 

I have setup new uses but it happens to all the users.  I had no problems when the system was loaded with Vista Business. 

I have the same system loaded with Vista Ultimate (64bit) on a different drive, (both drives are the same in type and size).  I have no problems with the 64bit version.    

My clients have all e-machines and want to run Vista Ultimate 32bit. 

Please advise...

Dennis Caldon
    dcaldon@cgcs.net 

djc50plus
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 3:09 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Before going any further, you might try restoring the system back to the point before the issue occurred.

System Restore

1) Before we start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2) Click Start; click All Programs; click Accessories; click System Tools; and click System Restore. The System Restore user interface should appear.

3) Click Next.

4) From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point before problem occurs and click Next.

5) Click Next again. The restore process will run and your system will restart automatically.

For more information, please refer to the article below:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

If the problem persists, please continue with the instructions below to narrow down the issue.

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode with Networking, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, let’s try a Clean Boot to test the issue.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

Good Luck!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:44 AM
    Friday, March 6, 2009 10:56 AM