Windows 7 64 bit random BSOD, help please! RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 64 bit OS

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor

4.00 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 4600

My system will randomly Blue screen, usually pointing to ntoskrnl.sys as the issue.  It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing at the time; playing a game or just letting it idle, it blue screens all the same.  This problem just started occurring after a few months of working fine.

Please help! Thanks!

Saturday, September 25, 2010 1:51 AM

Answers

• There were various errors but no third party driver was named as causing the crash.

This could be a hardware issue.

I would suggest to check the RAM with a memory tester such as Memtest86.

Also, run a chkdsk /r on the hard disk.

Running a chkdsk/ r has the potential to take a long time and, as a general precaution, back up any critical files beforehand.

One driver that should be updated is the Rt64win7.sys, which is the Realtek LAN driver. Try updating this driver using the latest driver available from Realtek.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:37 AM
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:29 AM

All replies

• Oh, and my motherboard is a Gigabyte 785GMT-USB3
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 2:19 AM
  • Can you zip up the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and make available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

The following link has information on using Windows Live SkyDrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

If you have problems zipping the minidump files copy the minidump files to another location such as a folder on the Desktop.

Saturday, September 25, 2010 2:45 AM
  • Saturday, September 25, 2010 2:54 AM
  • There were various errors but no third party driver was named as causing the crash.

This could be a hardware issue.

I would suggest to check the RAM with a memory tester such as Memtest86.

Also, run a chkdsk /r on the hard disk.

Running a chkdsk/ r has the potential to take a long time and, as a general precaution, back up any critical files beforehand.

One driver that should be updated is the Rt64win7.sys, which is the Realtek LAN driver. Try updating this driver using the latest driver available from Realtek.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:37 AM
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:29 AM
  • I would update to the newest video drivers for your computer. If that doesn't help try testing your memory.
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:30 AM
  • Thanks, I'll run Memtest overnight to give it a few passes and I'll try finding that LAN driver, I'll update when the Memtest is done
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:41 AM
  • Well, I updated the LAN driver and Memtest got 4 passes overnight with no errors.  The computer didn't BSOD overnight, I guess the updated LAN driver may have fixed it? I'll let you know if I have a BSOD again; thanks for the help!
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 2:18 PM
  • You're welcome and good luck!
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Sooo I got 3 BSOD's today, I've uploaded the new dumps into the skydrive thing.  Any more ideas?
    Friday, October 1, 2010 10:34 PM