Vista 32-bits to Windows 7 x64 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!
                       I really like Windows 7 right now and I am ready to buy it when it'll come out. However, I really like to save money. Right now, we can preorder upgrade version of Windows 7 for about half the price : http://www.futureshop.ca/marketing/windows7/default.asp   . However, before I preorder it, I want to be sure I won't waste my money. I read a lot of contradictions on the Internet about this issue, so I wanted to make this clear.

My laptop came preinstalled with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bits OEM(which is stupid, given I have 4 gb of RAM...) It came with recovery disks I had to make myself. And I did them. The same night, I installed Windows 7 RC to see how good it was, following my friend's advice. I was stunned by it.

Now, to go straight to the question : will I be able to go from my Vista Home Premium 32-bits to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits with the "Upgrade" set? I want to do a clean installation (i.e. I will backup my datas before installing it). I read that the Upgrade version will include everything needed to to a clean install.

Now, the scenario which seemed the most plausible is : when I'll want to install Windows 7, I'll have to have my Vista 32-bits installed and boot from 7' DVDs to install it, so the upgrade version will be able to verify the validity of my Vista installation, then proceed with the installation. Then, after the process, I'll be able to have Windows 7 Home Premium x64 well working.

Is it like that? Am I right? Or would I lose my money by buying the upgrade version?

Thank you very much,
    Erythro73
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 8:59 PM

Answers

• Did you install the 64-bit version of the release candidate to your laptop? If so, and that was successful then you should be able to upgrade to the 64-bit sytem of W7.
    It depends, finally, on the capablity of your motherboard and processor.
    Regards from the Valley of the Sun.
    • Marked as answer by Erythro73 Saturday, June 27, 2009 10:10 PM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 9:19 PM

All replies

• Did you install the 64-bit version of the release candidate to your laptop? If so, and that was successful then you should be able to upgrade to the 64-bit sytem of W7.
    It depends, finally, on the capablity of your motherboard and processor.
    Regards from the Valley of the Sun.
    • Marked as answer by Erythro73 Saturday, June 27, 2009 10:10 PM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Yes, I did install the 64-bits version of the release candidate. And it worked just fine.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Hi! Instead of creating a new thread, I'm hoping that you'll see this and can answer my quick question. I'm in the same general situation as Erythro73 . I bought an HP bundle (Vista 32-bit Home Premium already installed) and I'd like to go to Windows 7 64-bit (my machine is 64-bit capable), but I have one question about the Windows 7 upgrade.

After the upgrade, down the road lets say my hard drive crashes and I have to re-install Windows 7. I hear that with the upgrade version, to go back to Windows 7, I'd have to install Vista again and then do the upgrade again. Is this true? In this case I'd be pretty much screwed since HP didn't give me Vista installation discs (as is usually the case with large corporations).

Thanks!
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Hi! Instead of creating a new thread, I'm hoping that you'll see this and can answer my quick question. I'm in the same general situation as Erythro73 . I bought an HP bundle (Vista 32-bit Home Premium already installed) and I'd like to go to Windows 7 64-bit (my machine is 64-bit capable), but I have one question about the Windows 7 upgrade.

After the upgrade, down the road lets say my hard drive crashes and I have to re-install Windows 7. I hear that with the upgrade version, to go back to Windows 7, I'd have to install Vista again and then do the upgrade again. Is this true? In this case I'd be pretty much screwed since HP didn't give me Vista installation discs (as is usually the case with large corporations).

Thanks!

From the upgrade I have done (successfully), you CAN NOT got from x86 (32-bit) to x64 (64-bit). The setup popped up and said that I could not do an 'upgrade' from 32-bit to 64-bit and had to either do a clean installation or 'upgrade' to 32-bit. So, my work-around for this was to copy any important data to an external drive, get the Windows 7 transfer wizard (not sure exactly what it is called) and then transfer my profile to the external drive. I then did a completely clean installation of Windows 7, copied over all of my old files, used the wizard to transfer all of my settings, and then reinstalled all of my old programs (it won't do that for you).
    So, the short answer, is yes, you can 'upgrade' but it will take more work than a normal upgrade. Also, after I transferred my settings, the wizard told me what programs I had installed previously that were not transferred.

Just for reference, I was upgrading from Windows XP SP3 (32-bit) to windows 7 RTM (64-bit) on a pentium dual core with 4GB of RAM.
    • Proposed as answer by imasonaz Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:52 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:52 PM