none
DHCP based DNS update support in Multiple Active Directory forest RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

We have 2 domains named contoso.com and jumbo.local with bi-directional trust enabled. 
    DNS servers are running in both forests to provide name resolution. Cross domain DNS resolution is facilitated by creating Stub Zone in each domain.

We have Windows 7 client machines exists in both domains, however DHCP Servers/ Service is running only in contoso.com domain. At present these clients are allowed to register their A records on own with respective DNS servers running in that domain.

We are planning to change DNS registration to be handled by DHCP instead of clients registering in DNS servers. This means DHCP servers running in contoso.com will be responsible for registering DNS records of clients in both domains. We create a Service account with proper previleze and make all DHCP Servers in contoso.com member of DNSProxyGroup in contoso.com domain to make DDNS registration to work.

My concern is;

DHCP server will register clients belong to Contoso.com in DNS servers of contoso.com.
    Where will DHCP server register clients belong to jumbo.local domain? considering I only have stub zone created for jumbo.local in contoso.com. How do I make DHCP to register DNS records in this scenerio?

Thanks in advance....

Mahi

• Edited by mahi Blr Monday, July 17, 2017 3:37 PM
    Monday, July 17, 2017 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hi mahi Blr

>>How do I make DHCP to register DNS records in this scenario?

You could use DHCP with credentials to make this work.

You would need to use a set of credentials that have permissions on all AD integrated zone properties in each domain.

For more information, you could refer to the following link:

1 Dhcp --> multiple DNS (DNS update question)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/e41a574a-5eba-4506-b6c8-f101f7b5a881/1-dhcp-multiple-dns-dns-update-question?forum=winserverNIS

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 6:42 AM
  • Hi Candy,

My question basically, how DHCP server from contoso.com can resgister 'A' records of jumbo.local domain clients with DNS servers in jumbo.local domain. I can not add the DHCP servers from contoso.com  domain to be member of 'DNSUpdateProxy' group in Jumbo.local as that is global group.

I am missing something here? URL posted speaks multi domains in the same forest. Here, we have two different forests.

Mahi

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:05 AM