Exchange 2007 mp for R2 doesnt discover CCR clusternodes. RRS feed

• Question

• Someone has asked a similar question here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagermgmtpacks/thread/5db490bf-1c7d-49b7-bd3f-dfc8f427574b. But as the question is marked as answered it doesn't seem to give any response.

Basically i have the same issue only only i have ccr clusters installed.
    However i don't have the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0\Mailbox" key. How can i solve this?
    (i do have: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0\MailboxRole])

We enable agent proxy through a script based on class, however these servers don't seem to belong to the exchange class and therefore don't have agentproxy (we could set it manually, but as we'll be having over 50 customers with exchange environments). This might be the reason why the discovery fails. However, as far as i can read the mp xml for exchange the initial discovery marking the server as exchange 2007 class is just the existence of the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0"

It would be really helpful for troubleshooting if the exact conditions for discoveries were mentioned in the guides in the "how does it work" section. At least it would save me struggling through tons of xml code :)
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 11:13 AM

Answers

• DiscoveryHelper depends on the following information
      On the server HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0  registry key being present  

The Windows Computer object in Operations Manager must have the following attributes populated:

"Windows!Microsoft.Windows.Computer"]/PrincipalName$

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    • Marked as answer by rob1974 Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:05 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Rob

The link you give is for a very different problem - that was a non-clustered Exchange server and the answer to their problem is in the thread towards the bottom:

"Thank you deleting the leftover key solved the problem
    KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Cluster"

This won't fix your problem it will just break your Exchange server.

Have you enabled the discovery of the Exchange cluster? Discoveries are disabled by default.
    http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/exchange-2007-r2-mp-discoveries-1/

Cheers

Graham

View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 11:30 AM
  • It's basically the same issue. i'm missing something, that's why the discovery fails. I've enabled all except um discovery. But like i said, the ccr nodes/clusters (for 1 customer) aren't discovered. currently i have 1 other customer but that is using scc cluster which is being discovered (same discovery).

The only thing which i didn't do is enabling agentproxy. Like i said, my environment will be to big to do this manually. So a script is in place to enable all exchange class servers. So these servers doesn't seem to be recognised as exchange servers. Which comes down to my first post: is the existence of  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0" indeed enough to mark a server as an exchange class object?

it would really be helpful to post something about what the discoveries are doing instead of just writing about how it should work generally.

part from the exchange.library where i think the discovery helper object determines whether a server is part of the exchange class. this took me a few hours to find and i am still not sure what it is doing exactly. 
    [code]

- <ModuleImplementation Isolation="Any">

- <Composite>

- <MemberModules>

- <DataSource ID="DS" TypeID="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.FilteredRegistryDiscoveryProvider">

<ComputerName>$Target/Property[Type='Windows!Microsoft.Windows.Computer']/PrincipalName$</ComputerName>

- <RegistryAttributeDefinitions>

- <RegistryAttributeDefinition>

<AttributeName>Exchange</AttributeName>

<Path>Software\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0</Path>

<PathType>0</PathType>

<AttributeType>0</AttributeType>

</RegistryAttributeDefinition>

</RegistryAttributeDefinitions>

<Frequency>$Config/Frequency$</Frequency>

<ClassId>$MPElement[Name="Microsoft.Exchange2007.Component.DiscoveryHelper"]$</ClassId>

- <InstanceSettings>

- <Settings>

- <Setting>

<Name>$MPElement[Name="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.Computer"]/PrincipalName$</Name>

<Value>$Target/Property[Type="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.Computer"]/PrincipalName$</Value>

</Setting>

- <Setting>

<Name>$MPElement[Name="System!System.Entity"]/DisplayName$</Name>

<Value>Discovery Helper ($Target/Property[Type="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.Computer"]/PrincipalName$)</Value>

</Setting>

</Settings>

</InstanceSettings>

- <Expression>

- <SimpleExpression>

- <ValueExpression>

<XPathQuery Type="Boolean">Values/Exchange</XPathQuery>

</ValueExpression>

<Operator>Equal</Operator>

- <ValueExpression>

<Value Type="Boolean">true</Value>

</ValueExpression>

</SimpleExpression>

</Expression>

</DataSource>

</MemberModules>

- <Composition>

<Node ID="DS" />

</Composition>

</Composite>

</ModuleImplementation>

<OutputType>System!System.Discovery.Data</OutputType>

</DataSourceModuleType>
    [/code]

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:46 PM
  • The other thread wasn't a clustered exchange server ... so I'm not sure how it is the same issue but either way, lets concentrate on your problem ;-)

First thing i would do is to go to the Windows Computers State View (under monitoring). Personalize the view to include the Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper class (you'll see it as one of the items on the list of columns to display).

Once you've done this - in the Windows Computer View, are your exchange cluster (nodes) listed as Not Monitored (not blank but actually states Not Monitored) under the Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper column? That will tell us if the cluster nodes are being discovered. It won't physically discover them though but unless they are listed as Not Monitored under the Exchange then there is no chance of them being discovered. The Exchange Discovery Helper object column will never go to Monitored.

Could you also confirm that you have gone into the Authoring \ Object Discoveries \ and enabled (via an override) the discovery of the Exchange 2007 CCR Clustered Mailbox Server Role and Exchange 2007 CCR Node Role (there are 2 here). You'll see these are disabled by default.

Cheers

Graham

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 3:08 PM
  • like i said, i've enabled all except UM. So yes, the node discovery has been enabled too.

i don't see them under "exchange 2007 discovery helper". So how does this discovery works? is it indeed the existence of the regkey i mentioned? because that does exist and other regbased attribute queries on these servers work too.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 11:09 AM

• The discovery Path is as follows, you should check each step:
    - Agent Deployed to physical Computer
    - Windows Computer Discovered representing the physical computer
    - Exchange 2007 DiscoveryHelper discovered from the physical computer (if Exchange 2007 is installed)
    - Need to set the Exchange 2003 Read Only run as account for the Windows Computer (if this is not set then the discovery will exit early with a lack of permissions look for 104, 105 events on the CCR Node's Event Log
    - Need to enable the Exchange Server Discovery for the Computer
    - Once every 24 hours (or when the health service is restarted) the agent should discover the Exchange 2007 CCR node
       - Note: If the CCR Node is not participating in a CCR Cluster, is not a valid Node for the CCR Mailbox Server (not a prefered host), and is not a Log shipping target of a Exchange 2007 Standby Copy Replication (SCR) then it will not be discovered.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    • Proposed as answer by S. Halsey Thursday, October 8, 2009 6:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dan Rogers Thursday, October 8, 2009 7:26 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by rob1974 Monday, October 12, 2009 2:17 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 6:01 PM
  • this step fails "- Exchange 2007 DiscoveryHelper discovered from the physical computer (if Exchange 2007 is installed)".

The action account is system and i think this should be enough for the helper discovery (as it does for other exchange 2007 servers).

i need to troubleshoot why it fails, but that's kind of hard without knowing what the discovery is about (i will check for the events, but i did look at the logs and didn't see anything before).
    Monday, October 12, 2009 2:37 PM
  • A long shot but it might be worth checking the application log on the exchange server to see if there are a lot of events being processed. I have seen on one occassion (so it is a long shot) where the Exchange Server was posting about 100 events per second to the application log (a separate issue) and this was causing (I guess because for performance reasons) the Operations Manager agent to fail to process a number of discoveries. Once the underlying issue was resolved, the discovery ran fine.

If you look in the agent installation directory (c:\program files\system center operations manager 2007\ by default), you will find a \Health Service State\ManagementPacks\ subdirectory. In this directory, you will see copies of the management packs received. Simply by watching the “Date Modified” column (in detail view), you can see when an updated copy was last written to the file system. Are the exchange MPs listed there?

Cheers

Graham

Monday, October 12, 2009 6:43 PM
  • DiscoveryHelper depends on the following information
      On the server HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0  registry key being present  

The Windows Computer object in Operations Manager must have the following attributes populated:

"Windows!Microsoft.Windows.Computer"]/PrincipalName$

• Marked as answer by rob1974 Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:05 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:40 PM
  • the problem for me is that i don't have access to these servers, so i have to rely on the admins giving me info about these servers.

With this i can make a script to simulate the discovery and catch any errors.  (assuming scom's regprovider uses wmi)
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:05 AM