none
Cannot remove failed VMM server

Question

• Hi,

I had a VMM server fail on me which required a rebuild.  During the commissioning of the new server, the client decided  to change the name of the server.  Once i'd rebuilt the server and restored the old database, now I have 2x VMM servers, old name and new name.

I cannot find out how to remove the old VMM server from the GUI, nor PowerShell.  Editing the database directly is not an option, this is a production install.  I can see how to remove old dead hosts, but not dead VMM servers.

Also rather worryingly the "old" server name is responding and green (which is not possible!)  VMM is not detecting the fact the server is actually down\gone.

Thanks

Friday, December 29, 2017 10:43 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Based on my understanding, the "old" server name is responding, because the server name is resolved to the same IP address as the new server name. Thus, the VMM can still detect the server is still up and running.

For the deletion of old vmm server object, it looks like that there is no such button or command either from the GUI or PowerShell. The following thread discusses the similar problem, and you may refer to the solution mentioned in it.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/40ff5446-e2f2-4b10-a9b8-b94d2efe38eb/how-to-remove-old-vmm2012-server-name-from-vmm-server-navigation-pane?forum=virtualmachingmgrsetup

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 1, 2018 5:11 AM
  • Hi,

The old VMM server does not exist and is different IP address to new one, which is worrying.  The only thing that is present is the AD account still which i'll delete shortly.  Be interesting to know what VMM is looking at to think its still alive.

I'll check your link.

Thanks

Richard

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 8:19 PM
  • Hello Richard,

Does the old VMM server also exist at the location Fabric -> Infrastructure -> Library Servers?

If so, you can try to remove the old VMM server first.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

I have a different server as a library server.  See attached.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:25 AM
  • Hello,

Interesting.

The 'old' VMM server should not be treated as responding and active.

I think either the 'new' VMM server is not detecting the status of the 'old' VMM server actually, or it does in fact, but through the loopback interface(127.0.0.1), instead of the physical network interface.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 6:02 AM
  • I've seen this before when VMM runs in a clustered environment.  Taking down a node, still shows as responding.  Clearly a bug and needs addressing as you cant rely on it.
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:11 PM
  • Find out the old VMM server ID. Record the ServerID of the old VMM server.

SELECT * FROM [VirtualManagerDB].[dbo].[tbl_VMM_Server]

Run the following to remove the old VMM server. Please replace the ID in the yellow part.

EXEC prc_VMM_RemoveVmmServerById 'ServerID'

Friday, April 6, 2018 2:37 AM
  • Running these commands worked for me, although it does not refresh in the management console until you close and re-open the console.

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 1:57 PM