Windows Vista Update Error 800B0100 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am working on a laptop with Windows Vista Service Pack 1. It had a few viruses on it, but after a scan and clean with Norton and Malwarebytes, and a system restore, it was running again. I then updated the laptop with the available updates which installed fine. Then, I saw once it restarted, new updates were available including Service Pack 2. When I attempt to install service pack 2 along with the other updates, the installer for SP2 comes up and says "Installation was not successful.". I then press close, and the other updates start installing. But, when they finish, it says all the updates failed with error code 800B0100. I tried disabling Norton Smart Firewall, but still the same thing. I also tried the System Update Readiness Tool, but still the same thing. The log of the system update readiness tool shows that there were 2 errors involving an unrelated security update. I was able to fix one by expanding the msu and cab files of the update and putting the correct packages into C:\windows\Temp, but still the same thing with all the the other updates including SP2. I am now lost on what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Adam

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:45 AM

All replies

• Hello again,

Well, I found the problem. The updates that were corrupted that the System Update Readiness Tool found were in fact associated with SP2. They were files that it needed. All updates are now installed and the computer is working fine. The System Update Readiness Tool did indeed find the problem.

Thanks Again,

Adam

Saturday, April 27, 2013 6:00 PM