none
DPM cannot find the BMR RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Im using DPM 2010 and when im tryin to protect Windows 2008 Server"S" only the syste state appear in the system protection and i cannot see the BMR.

Does anyone knows why? and how can i let the BMR appear in the system protection?

Thanks

Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:13 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Im using DPM 2010 and when im tryin to protect Windows 2008 Server"S" only the syste state appear in the system protection and i cannot see the BMR.

Does anyone knows why? and how can i let the BMR appear in the system protection?

Thanks

Hi Laith,

DPM 2010 requires Windows Backup installed on your protected 2008 servers for BMR protection. If it is not installed on your protected servers that would explain why only system state shows up.

HTH

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:19 PM
  • Hi,

The WSB is installed on all the servers most of them are virtual machine. but still the BMR is not showing in the DPM.

Any suggestion why?

Monday, September 26, 2011 5:17 AM
  • Hi laith,

Make sure the "ASR writer" is listed when you run a VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS from an administrative command prompt.

Please check the protected server (PS) and test BMR backup outside of DPM, try this command:

1) Set up a network share on a remote machine \\server\bmrshare

2) From an administrative command prompt on the PS, type:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare

This should show you the list of volumes included in the BMR backup and ask "Do you want to start the backup operation?. - Type Y to continue..

3) Troubleshoot any Windows backup problems that occur.

Windows 2008 backup logs are located in the %windir%\logs\WindowsServerBackup folder

If the error isn't self expainatory, please open a thread in the Windows backup group concerning the wbadmin error.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 10:57 PM
  • Hi Mike,

When i ran WSB locally on the server it sees the BMR while DPM does not even see the BMR in System Protection to run it.

The ASR writer is presented and the status is 1.

Is there any requirements for DPM to see the BMR?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, October 3, 2011 8:17 AM
  • Hi,

As long as the O.S. is Windows 2008 (or R2) and has the Windows backup feature installed, then DPM should show the BMR option under system protection.   Just for grins, try removing the Windows backup feature on the protected server and re-install the feature and see if DPM picks it up.  Select to install the "command line tools" also, not sure that's reqired, but it may toggle something that DPM is looking for.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, October 3, 2011 4:39 PM
  • Ive tried this and still DPM cannot see the BMR.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:25 PM
  • Hi,

I'm out of ideas, I would needs logs from both PS and DPM Server so see where intent manager inquiry is failing. If you want to pursue this immediatly, you can visit the following web site to open a support incident. The charge to your CC will not be processed until your case is resolved and closed, if it's a bug in the DPM 2010 then we wave all charges.

Solution Center: System Center Data Protection Manager
                     http://support.microsoft.com/ph/9765#tab0

http://support.microsoft.com/select/Default.aspx?target=assistance

In the Quick product finder, enter: System Center Data Protection Manager 2010]

In the next screen, chose the option that applies, the last option is for CC.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:28 PM
  • frankly I'de rather to send you the logs.

What are the logs that you need?

// Laith.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:26 AM
  • Hi,

We have a tool that collects logs automatically and uploads them to the case. The tool cannot be ran without a case number.  

Unless other forum users have seen this and resolved it before, I would prefer you open a case so we can provide comprehensive support to get this fixed for you.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:29 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I was searching in MS DPM KBs and i found the following

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634243.aspx

The search lead me to the following blog http://www.ms4u.info/2011/04/is-bmr-available-when-backup-workgroup.html

Correct me if im wrong. That means that DPM does not support BMR protection for servers in untrusted domain.

// Laith.

• Marked as answer by Laith_IT Monday, October 10, 2011 5:42 AM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 6:15 AM
  • Hi Laith,

You are right, this scenario is not supported.

My DPM blog ystartsev.wordpress.com
    Friday, October 7, 2011 7:49 AM
  • Hi,

Ok - you got me, I never dreamed that your configuration was in untrusted domain, sorry I didn't ask that question, I just assumed since you left that imprortant detail out of your original question that you were using normal protection work flow.

Live and learn on both our parts.  8-)

Friday, October 7, 2011 3:10 PM
  • No worries Mike! We are learning all the time. Thanks for your help!!!!

// Laith.

Monday, October 10, 2011 5:41 AM
  • Dear Mike,

it's helpful information.

BR,

Khemarin

Khemarin333@hotmail.com

Monday, May 26, 2014 8:14 AM