NTFS Questions RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am enrolled in a Windows Professional class and have had some questions posed that I can not find the answers to.

1) How many processors does Vista support?

2) What is the maximum NTFS volume size Vista supports?

I found that NTFS will do a 256TB volume. The article I read refers to XP. Does this apply to Vista also?

I have researched both questions and have not found a satisfactory answer. Can someone help?

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:47 PM

Answers

• user="rwis59170"]

I am enrolled in a Windows Professional class and have had some questions posed that I can not find the answers to.

1) How many processors does Vista support?

While all editions of Windows Vista can support multiple 'core' CPUs, the home versions of Vista support only 1 physical CPU. Windows Vista Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise can support up to 2 'physical' processors.

2) What is the maximum NTFS volume size Vista supports?

I found that NTFS will do a 256TB volume. The article I read refers to XP. Does this apply to Vista also?

I have researched both questions and have not found a satisfactory answer. Can someone help?

Yes, it's still the same. This is a restriction of NTFS, not the operating system.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:51 AM