none
DPM 2012 R2 upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I'm planning to upgrade my DPM 2012 R2 servers (primary/secondary) to DPM 2016, particularly to benefit from the Modern backup storage but of course also a lot of other advantages. I need to re-use the present hw. What is the best way of doing this? Do an in-place upgrade of the present DPM servers to 2016 (in order to keep the RPs)? I'm running SQL 2012 today but I guess I need to upgrade to a later SQL version as well? Is it possible to migrate from current storage design to MBS, without wiping the entire diskpool?

Jaan Meijer
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:51 PM

Answers

• Hello Jaan

You can do an in-place upgrade from DPM 2012 R2 to 2016. Keep in mind that if you would like to use Modern Backup Storage you also need to upgrade to Windows Server 2016. After the upgrade the protection groups are not changed or upgraded to MBS, they will continue to work as they were in DPM 2012 R2. If you would like to migrate legacy storage to MBS you will need to have a new dedicated volume (or wipe the legacy storage pool). 

64-bit SQL Server 2012 SP2 Enterprise or Standard is supported for DPM 2016

Check this link for upgrade steps.

Hope this helps. 

MCSE, MCSA, MS, MCP, MCTS, System Engineer

• Marked as answer by Jaan Meijer Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:01 PM
    Monday, January 29, 2018 6:13 PM

All replies

• Hello Jaan

You can do an in-place upgrade from DPM 2012 R2 to 2016. Keep in mind that if you would like to use Modern Backup Storage you also need to upgrade to Windows Server 2016. After the upgrade the protection groups are not changed or upgraded to MBS, they will continue to work as they were in DPM 2012 R2. If you would like to migrate legacy storage to MBS you will need to have a new dedicated volume (or wipe the legacy storage pool). 

64-bit SQL Server 2012 SP2 Enterprise or Standard is supported for DPM 2016

Check this link for upgrade steps.

Hope this helps. 

• Marked as answer by Jaan Meijer Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:01 PM
    Monday, January 29, 2018 6:13 PM
  • Hello Matej,

Thank you so much for your reply. I order to re-use the current hw, I was thinking about a plan like this:

1. Upgrade SQL 2012 to SP3

2. Upgrade DPM 2012 R2 to DPM 2016 UR4

3. Export DPMDB

4. Clean install of Windows Server 2016 

5. Install DPM 2016 UR4 

6. Restore of DPMDB

Do you think this could be a good way of doing this?

/Jaan

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 10:37 AM
  • Hello,

Is your SQL server a dedicated server or also installed on your DPM server?

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 12:38 PM
  • Also an in-place upgrade to Windows Server 2016 is not an option for you?

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 12:41 PM
  • It is locally installed on the DPM server. 

It might be an option to upgrade the O/S but my previous experiences are not so good when it comes to O/S upgrades. But if there is no other options (in order to keep the PGs, backup data etc.), then of course I have to give it a try anyway.

/Jaan
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 12:52 PM
  • I'm not a big fan of in-place upgrade also, but this time I was quite satisfied - it's simple and fast, less downtime then clean install. Keep in mind that if you are not going to use MBS there is no need to upgrade to Windows Server 2016. If you are still planning to go with a clean install I would go with the steps that you've listed. In addition you need to update DPM 2012 R2 to the latest Update Rollup and use DPMSYNC command to restore the DPM database. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808877.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

PS. Backup your DPM database before upgrading to latest UR, DPM2016 and Windows Server 2016, so you can restore it if anything goes wrong. 

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 1:16 PM
  • OK, I would like to get the best out of DPM 2016 so I'll absolutely use MBS. I'll discuss whether to do an in-place upgrade or not with my colleagues, but now I have a clear picture of the different options. Thank you!

/Jaan
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:05 PM