No logging for Managed Folder Assistant RRS feed

• Question

• We've enabled Retention Policies for our users on Exchange 2010 SP2. We noticed that we didn't have log folder for the Managed Folder Assistant under the path

D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Logging

We pulled that from running

get-mailboxserver |fl logpathformanagedfolders

The FolderLogForManagedFoldersEnabled is set at true$

I went ahead and manually added the "Managed Folders Assistant" folder and ran

Start-ManagedFolderAssistant

But nothing gets created.

Anyone run into this before?

Orange County District Attorney

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:52 PM

Answers

• Hello Zi,

I had seen that thread from Brian Day and took his advice but I'm still not seeing any logs in my Managed Folder Assistant. I am able to monitor the number of items deleted by watching the Performance Counters on the mailbox server under the MSExchange Manage Folder Assistant. I can see that items are being deleted and our Retention Policies are working. I would just like to have some more logging if I could.

I'm tending to agree with you on the fact that it's most likely an issue with Exchange 2010. Or maybe a planned feature. It seems that many of the Managed Folder Assistant pieces are now only accessible with Powershell so it may be that this is as good as it gets.

• Proposed as answer by Zi Feng Monday, October 8, 2012 5:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Zi Feng Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:43 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 2:27 PM

All replies

• Hi

After "Start-ManagedFolderAssistant", did you put an identity?

The Identity parameter specifies the mailbox to be processed. In cross-premises deployments, you can also specify a mail user who has a mailbox in the cloud.

Cheers

Zi Feng

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 4, 2012 4:31 AM
  • Hello,

Yes, I did try several mailbox ids. I even ran it  on all the mailboxes we have. After all that I still don't see any logs created.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:04 PM
  • Hi Sandy

After researching, I found it might be a known issue on Exchange 2010.

You can have a try the suggestion from Brian Day on below thread to see if it will work or not

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/c122949c-d126-41bb-9a33-9a8584b5a96e/

Cheers

Zi Feng

Friday, October 5, 2012 5:30 AM
  • Hello Zi,

I had seen that thread from Brian Day and took his advice but I'm still not seeing any logs in my Managed Folder Assistant. I am able to monitor the number of items deleted by watching the Performance Counters on the mailbox server under the MSExchange Manage Folder Assistant. I can see that items are being deleted and our Retention Policies are working. I would just like to have some more logging if I could.

I'm tending to agree with you on the fact that it's most likely an issue with Exchange 2010. Or maybe a planned feature. It seems that many of the Managed Folder Assistant pieces are now only accessible with Powershell so it may be that this is as good as it gets.

• Proposed as answer by Zi Feng Monday, October 8, 2012 5:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Zi Feng Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:43 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Hi Sandy

Thanks for Replying.

Cheers

Zi Feng

Monday, October 8, 2012 5:54 AM