none
PC freezing, stuck in "automatic repair loop" etc

Question

• I posted this in wrong forum, in "security". So, I am re-posting it here.

Hello, I would appreciate help fixing my PC. System: Toshiba C75D-B7300, Windows 8.1. For a few weeks the pc was running slow. It would freeze frequently. Initially the mouse would be stuck for a while and then resume. It was like every keystroke took several minutes to execute. Then it started freezing to the point where i had to restart to get out of it. Then it became so frequent that it became impossible to use the PC. The problem existed both in normal mode and in safe mode.

I have not installed any new programs before this began. I tried restoring to previous date, but it said "failed".

So, I looked up solutions on line and tried them. scannow, chkdsk, etc. (scheduled at restart) The results showed "errors were found, some errors could not be fixed". Every method I found on line I tried. After one of the methods, and I believe it was some version of scannow.exe  with several alphanumeric /. After running that, the PC is stuck in a "automatic repair loop". The PC has been on for two days and I can see the windows go through  "preparing to do automatic repair", "repairing disk errors: this may take over an hour" etc over and over for two days. Finally I turned the PC off from the power button. Then restarted the PC. Now I am unable to go to the start options to get into safe mode (it did before this loop) and it goes on to the automatic repair again. I have done hard restart few times and tried to go to safe mode via F8 but it goes to boot and automatic repair loop.

I don't want to "repair" or "refresh". Refresh will return PC to factory condition and will loose all my installed programs. The On line instructions say that "repair" does not loose any programs or data. But when I tried to do "repair" it gave a warning which specifically said that "you will not loose any apps you downloaded from windows store but you will loose apps installed from other sources or from web". So, I did not perform a "repair".

Of course the PC did not come with Windows install CD. This PC does not even have the windows key written on the bottom sticker. I did prepare the "recovery disks" some time ago from this PC. I don't know if they work, never tired it. I know one time I tried recovery disks on one of my other computers and it did not work.

Please, what can I do to fix the problem. Thanks.

Thursday, November 29, 2018 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hi ju1234,

Thanks for posting your query.

In windows 8.1, we could keep pressing shift and restart to enter safe mode. 

I want to confirm the current situation: after we boot the PC, the PC is always repairing and we cannot enter the desktop? Is there any messages in the screen?

If the computer cannot boot, we need to fix the OS. Please try the following steps:

1. If we can enter Advanced options by keep pressing shift and restart, please choose "Repair your computer". If not, we need a windows 8.1 installation media and then choose "Repair your computer" to boot into Recovery mode.

2. Under X:\sources\recovery, run startrep.exe.

3. Use Diskpart to find the system disk partition, then switch to that partition and run the command:

Bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No

Bcdedit /set {default} advancedoptions on

4. Check if there is any error message.

If you have any concerns or problems, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 30, 2018 5:59 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

2 questions: 1. You suggested going to safe mode via Sift + restart. I do not know which key is "restart", did you mean the "power on/off" key? So, from completely powered off state, press and hold down the shift key and then press the "restart" key (whichever that is)? Is that correct and keep holding the shift key till it opens to the safe mode option?

2. My laptop does not have a windows Key sticker on the bottom and it did not come with recovery CDs. I created the recovery CDs from new computer but they don't seem to work. So, how do I get the windows Install media? The option to create the install media from Microsoft's web site requires the Windows License key, how do I get a license key?

Thanks.

Friday, November 30, 2018 2:37 PM
  • Hi ju1234,

Thanks for your reply.

1. Restart key is the following, keep pressing shift and click restart to enter safe mode: 

2. You may refer to these document to create a windows 8.1 installation media and achieve product key:

https://www.itworld.com/article/2845933/create-a-windows-81-installation-disc-or-usb-flash-drive-with-microsofts-media-creation-tool.html

https://www.itechgyan.com/windows-8-1-product-key-activation-guide/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Yilia 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 3, 2018 8:00 AM
  • FOLLOW UP: thank you for your replies. The following gives a summary of where it stands now. What can I do next? Thanks.

Windows 8.1 on Toshiba laptop. It has been having frequent freeze ups and then progressed to where it would freeze immediately after completing boot up. This was not related to any new apps or updates or any thing. Tried the chkdsk, scannow etc. After that the pc started booting to "startup repair" which became unending repair loop. Have been unable to fix it. Took the HD out and to anothe rPC (windows 10) via a USB adapter. Then ran "testdisk" and partition wizard etc. without making any changes to it. Recovery disk / media was unable to fix the problems. Even with the recovery media disks, it goes into the never ending repair loop. Present condition as I have diagnosed from all prior work: The primary partition 687GB of the total 750GB HD, that contained the windows, is showing as "RAW" and healthy, and not NTFS. All the other partitions (system EFI system, recovery OEM) etc are healthy and NTFS. Also the Boot sector and boot sector mirror are good but MFT and MFT mirror are both bad. TestDisk was unable to fix MFT.

I had copied all my data to an external HD before it all got so bad. So, I have essential stuff. Also I can see all the files on a scan with EASEUS data recovery Pro and will copy some of other things I may need. BUT what next:

Is the following the correct thing to do now: In the Disk manager, format the partition that is RAW to NTFS. Then using the Toshiba recovery disk (prepared from the PC when bought new), try to recover the computer. Since the system and recovery partitions are intact, the recovery should work? Right? After recovering, reinstall various apps and then copy the data files back to the pc. Any thing else I can do?

Thanks for the help.

Friday, December 7, 2018 3:26 AM
  • Hi,

As your description above, the system partition has been RAW. I'm afraid that if we format the partition, the recovery doesn't work, the only we can do is to reinstall it.

Best regards,

Yilia 

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 6:57 AM