Sharepoint Incoming Emails getting clogged in the drop folder RRS feed

• Question

• i have an issue where incoming emails are getting clogged in the drop folder. After some analysis we found out that all the non delivery messages where the email id's of users are invalid are coming to drop folder and they are not clearing up. They have Xsender as blank because they are un delivered messages. Sharepoint is not clearing up these things and this is affecting the normal emails. I think drop folder has a limit after a certain size it thowrs mail box full alert.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Sidd
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:18 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:10 PM

All replies

• I have this same issue. It seems to happen at the start of the day when a lot of emails get past. What I do to temporarily fix it is to stop the Windows SharePoint Timer Service, move the earliest email to the badmail folder, and restart the Timer Service. We haven't found a solution yet, but it's honestly been a problem for about 18 months.
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Hi Siddardha Raju,

I think I have understood your problem. the situation is you have lots on emails in drop folders and SharePoint timer job is not able to process them. There will be no error message but document libraries and list will not receive any incoming email. Drop folder will keep in growing until it reaches to quota limit.

To resolve this issue, you can do the following things:

1.       Move all the emails from drop folder to any other folder.

2.       During that move one of the email will not copy.

3.       That one is the issue email.

4.       Stop timer and try to move that email, but move it in any other folder.

5.       Start the timer and then move all emails back to drop folder except the faulty email.

6.       Timer will start processing the email.

7.       If it stuck again repeat the process again.

You can compare the faulty email with the working email in any comparison tool like beyond compare to find the difference.

Thanks & Regards,

Peng Lei

• Proposed as answer by Veera Raj Friday, June 3, 2011 7:11 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, June 3, 2011 2:00 PM
    Friday, June 3, 2011 2:31 AM
  • Hi Peng Lei,

We have already tried those steps however we couldn't find faulty email(s) as such. When we empty the drop folder, emails in bulk are again getting added to drop folder until it reaches around some constant size and then it stops. During this time incoming emails are delivering well to SharePoint libraries. Once the drop folder size reaches to a limit, incoming emails stop reaching drop folder and SharePoint libraries. Any idea on size limit of drop folder? Any more help on this is much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards, Ramesh Mukka
    Friday, June 3, 2011 6:45 AM
  • Is there anything that I can setup on the server-side that will auto-fix this clogged drop box? Is there a service that I can run that will auto find badmails before they reach the dropbox? I would appreciate any more information on this or why the emails are not rendered correctly so we can prevent those types of emails from getting processed.

Thanks

Friday, June 10, 2011 2:10 PM
  • Within Exchange, you will be able to setup a rule, just as in Outlook, that will clear out this folder based upon whatever frequency you set.

Just say

1. Set Rule to look at "Drop Folder"
    2. At "9PM" Everyday, clear contents.

You can also set up a rule to move these emails to the recycly bin and have your Email policies take care of it then as well.

Friday, June 10, 2011 4:27 PM
  • First of all SharePoint manages the drop box folder, not Exchange, specific to this thread. Second of all I wouldn't feel comfortable clearing all contents of a folder automatically at a certain time. What if the emails are being processed and they are all legitimate? Some days the drop box doesnt get clogged, and other days they do. Clearing the contents of the drop box would just add more headache.

Any other ideas specific to SharePoint?

Monday, June 13, 2011 3:59 PM