none
Synchronize to protected actual- Microsoft project 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Please allow me to provide your with a brief description about our work flow, so you can help me in my problem

The actual cost for our projects are from the users time sheet only, and we always make sure that <label for="ctl00_ctl00_PlaceHolderMain_PWA_PlaceHolderMain_idFormSectionProtectUserUpdates_ctl02_cbRestrictUpdates">Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets option are ticked, but recently I faced many manipulation in the actual cost for project even </label><label for="ctl00_ctl00_PlaceHolderMain_PWA_PlaceHolderMain_idFormSectionProtectUserUpdates_ctl02_cbRestrictUpdates">Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets are their.</label>

<label for="ctl00_ctl00_PlaceHolderMain_PWA_PlaceHolderMain_idFormSectionProtectUserUpdates_ctl02_cbRestrictUpdates">I will give one example how to manipulate with the actual cost :</label>

as you the actual cost for the project 8,546 $ , but I can change the actual cost by adding fixed cost figure and make the % completion 100% like below image :

The actual cost is now totally different and this lead to unreliable data, and by the way I can save and publish the project !! .

So please if you can provide me with a solution for this.

In microsoft project 2010 there was a function to synchronize t protected actual, but in ms project 2013, when I try to activate or using this macro, I faced this problem 

The upper management are in doubt now if they can read the actual cost from EPM or not.

Please help

Thank you

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:11 PM

All replies

• You can get the pure cost and actual cost from the resources in the resource usage view - this does not
    contain the fixed task costs.<o:p></o:p>

Unfortunately, this does not preserve the task hierarchy.<o:p></o:p>

Best Regards | EPMPARTNER | http://www.epmpartner.dk

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:57 PM
  • Thank you for reply,

Unfortunately this is not the optimal way to get the total actual cost, at least Microsoft should prevent entering minus (-) values in the fixed to decerese the actual cost.

Any other suggestions !!

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 6:36 AM
  • Hi Ibrahim,

We need to clarify your case because assuming the option to protect actuals is correctly checked:

1- Adding a fixed cost DOES NOT add actual cost. It just update the cost column itself adding the fixed cost.

Before adding a fixed cost:

After adding a fixed cost on task 6: the actual has not changed:

2- Setting a %complete should popup a message telling you that you cannot perform this operation and result in reverting back the update.

I can see some reasons for this unpexpected behavior:

• The option is not correctly checked.
    • The option has been checked while the project was already opened so you have to close MS Project and open it again.
    • The project is offline or even a local project, so you are not connected to Project Server/Project Online.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 8:56 AM
  • Thank you dear Guillaume for you reply, actually you are right I should see popup a message telling me that you cannot perform this operation and result in reverting back the update.

But this message will appear if you have resources for this task but if the task is without resources you can do this manipulation because you didn't modify work entered by a team member !!

All the reasons that you mentioned are taking in the consideration and still I faced the same problem

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 11:57 AM
  • Indeed you're right, but this is by design. You have to be able to update some actual costs not related to any work resources so to timesheets: for example, you might use cost resources, material resources and even fixed costs. In this case, Project has to let you update the task with actual work and/or %complete. 

In other words, the actual costs cannot just come from the timesheets.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 1:06 PM
  • You are right and I am OK with that, but this will lead to manipulation, any project manager can play with actual cost and decrease the actual cost by using (- fixed cost), actually this is frustrate me.

Meanwhile how to activate the protected actual macro ? I enable all macros and all the setting is done, but still the error message appear.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:22 PM
  • Indeed Ibrahim, I can reproduce the same issue with Project Pro 2013 and 2016.

No answer to provide, except "open a ticket with Microsoft", but I'll try to ask to MS team.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:46 PM
  • Thank you for cooperation, if you get any updates please tell me.

Meanwhile do you know how to solve the macro problem ?

Sunday, November 8, 2015 7:29 AM