Windows update problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows XP Home Edition SP3.  Over the years when I get ready to shut down there is a message(installing update (#) of (#).  do not shut down computer.  It will shut down automatically when update is complete.)   This has worked great until this past week.  Usually it only takes a few seconds or minutes.  Now the update never completes.   One night I left it on all night but in the morning nothing had changed - still the blue screen saying the update was being installed.  Nothing I could do would stop or cancel the  operation.   I had to unplug the computer to shut it down.  The next day it powered up fine and after finishing my work I went through the normal shutdown with the same message "updates being installed".  I left it on for the afternoon but nothing finished.  Again I had to unplug to shut down.  The Mcafee security system has not found anything wrong so I am wondering if anyone has any ideas what might be wrong or how to fix it.  Thanks
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:53 PM

Answers

• turn on the computer and at the start up press F8 and enter the safe mode. Now once you enter the safe mode do a system restore to a point when the computer had not installed those updates. Now to avoid such issues, when you go to windows update site, do not select express update installation. Rather go for custom and select only few upadtes and install it. Follow this untill you finish installing all the updates. If you select express installation we would not know which update is actually casuing this issue. Hope this will resolve the issue.
    Regards, h9ck3r.
    • Proposed as answer by h9ck3r Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:59 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:36 AM