no sound after vista sp2 autoupdate RRS feed

• Question

• Installed Vista SP2 from autoupdate ,but no sound /audio from any media players , Checked device manger ,drivers are fine no conflicts ,Uses Onboard Audio Realtek ,
    Monday, June 1, 2009 7:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you try updating to latest drivers and see if that resolves the issue ?

Thanks,
    Sachin
    Monday, June 1, 2009 8:42 AM

• Hi,

Can you please try the following steps and check if this fixes the problem

1)      Type “mmsys.cpl” in command prompt and press enter.
    2)      Check Playback tab if the default playback device is selected properly(can use test option on right click to hear the sound).
    3)      If the default playback device is not selected, select the correct device.
    4)      If still problem persist, should try updating the audio device drivers and select the correct playback device from the Playback tab.

Thanks,
    Jaskaran
    Monday, June 1, 2009 9:26 AM
  • Hi,
    Please follow the steps mentioned below:-
    1) Run command:- "mmsys.cpl" and press enter.
    2) In the Playback tab check if the default playback device is selected correctly.
    3) You can test the functioning of the device by right clicking on the default device and select "Test". If it is working fine, should be able to hear the sound.
    4) If the problem still persists, try updating the device drivers for audio and then select the correct playback device.

Hopefully, this should fix the problem.

You should refer to a Microsoft Help/Support article which talks about the audio problems on SP Upgrades:-
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB971220

If the problem is still there, please provide me the dxdiag of the machine.
    Steps to get DxDiag info:-
    1) Run command:- "DxDiagl" and press enter.
    2) In the bottom pane, Select "Save All Information". This save the information in a text file.
    Then share that DxDiag if the problem is not solved with the steps mentioned in the beginning.

Thanks,
    Alok Upadhyay

Monday, June 1, 2009 9:30 AM
  • I tried all the above steps , finally i restored my system back to before sp2 install and audio was alright , i believe the Realtek drivers are not compatible with SP2 updates
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:28 AM
  • I have the same issue after installing SP2...however, I do not show a restore point prior to the SP2 installation. What are the ramifications if I uninstall the SP2 update?  I don't know if I have any other option at this point until Microsoft provides a fix for the issue.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 11:43 PM
  • Hi Amith and Ninja,

Microsoft has published two articles to resolve "No Audio" issues post SP2 update.
    Please go through these articles:-

1) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/KB971220
    2) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948481/

In case you machine has Realtek AC'97, you can find in the above article that few of the older versions of the driver "Alcxwdm.sys" is not compatible.

In addition to above, request you to update your driver-
    a) Open the device manager
    b) Right Click on the audio device and select "Update Driver Software"
    c) Select "Search Automatically for updated driver software"

Or Else you can download and install recent Realtek AC'97 or HD Audio driver from the RealTek (I can see R2.26  updated on 2009/6/5 for HD Audio, and similarly you can find Realtek AC'97 driver as well).

Hopefully this should resolve the problem.

Note:- If you are using a Laptop, then sometimes IHVs customize their drivers due to which you may need to install audio drivers from the laptop manufacturer.

If still problem persists please send me

a) DxDiag (type this command in run window and save its details using "Save All Information" option)
    b) setupapi.dev.log (from: \windows\inf\)

Thanks,
    Alok Upadhyay
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:04 PM
  • I have tried all the proposed solutions, without success. "no audio device installed" windows drivers dont work neither do the realtek 2.26 
    I've even tried the evga 2.20 drivers. When i run dxdig i get "error: problem getting extra sound info."  
     Could I send you the text file?

Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:59 PM
  • Hi Rdeby,

In case your on-board audio device is AC'97, realtek HD Audio drivers shall not work.
    For RealTek AC'97 device, please download the latest drivers from:
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

Then Select: AC'97 Audio Codecs.

Now select the driver package as shown below, dowload and install it.

Vista/Win7 (32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file)

2009/3/26 30396k GO GO GO GO

In case problem is still there, then I need few more information.
    Please let me know the following details:-

1) Is this happening only after SP2 update on a working Vista SP1 machine? Or else it was a clean Vista SP2 install?
    2) What is the make and model of the machine?
    4) In device manager, go to Other Devices, select Audio controller(must be yellow marked if no suitable driver found), right click,select details and get Hardware ID.
    3) Provide DxDiag (click on "save all information" and mail me on alok.cs@gmail.com)
    4) Is it x64 bit OS?

Thanks,
    Alok Upadhyay
    Friday, June 12, 2009 7:04 AM
  • No luck, I sent the info to you 
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Hi Rdeby,
    I have not yet received your mail.
    Can you please answer the questions inline and send me the mail once again?
    Mail id: alok.cs@gmail.com , alok_azh@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Alok Upadhyay

Saturday, June 13, 2009 12:44 PM
  • On my workstation, the speakers connected to the rear panel are working fine. However, my headphones connected to the front panel are not.

If I look at the setup using the Realtek HD Audio Manager utility (installed with the Realtek drivers - the orange speaker icon in your notification tray), I see the green port on the back panel highlighted. No such highlighting is on the green port on the front panel. If I disconnect and reconnect the speakers on the rear panel I get notification bubbles telling me so. I get no notifications if I disconnect and reconnect stuff in the front panel. The front panel was working fine before the SP2 upgrade, and still works fine under Linux.

I see identical behavior with my old drivers, and with the 2.26 ones I just downloaded and installed.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 2:13 PM
  • Hi Alok,

Thanks for taking the time to help me. This problem occurred directly upon sp2 update. I’m running Vista 64
    Vista will not let me install the ac97 drivers as you suggested. I’ve tried forcing them, no luck (not digitally signed, told me to restart, then nothing happened upon restart)

The MB is evga780i  132-CK-NF78
    custom build from cyberpower
    2x2g Kingston hyperx pc8500
    9800gtx+ sli.
    Samsung 750 G HD

I was using an edirol usb  ua25 for midi, but I removed it to simplify this mess. It  was working prior to sp2 I’ve never had any conflicts with this device. (i reinstalled it to check the device, the edirol works fine.)

With this dx diagnostic I returned to the Microsoft drivers that I have always used prior to sp2 as they worked fine. (they also no longer work)
    I'v emailed you the dx diag log info.
    These are the hi def audio controller ids:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0371&SUBSYS_10DE0175&REV_A2

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0371&SUBSYS_10DE0175

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0371&CC_040300

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0371&CC_0403

Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:25 PM
  • I too have the same issue and have updated the Realtek HD Audio driver to 2.26. The correct device is choosen as default device for playback. The green volume indicater is moving up and down as though it is detecting the playback audio from media player of a video\audio file but no sound is coming out via the HDMI connected TV or through the headphone socket?...Vista 64

From DXDiag:
     Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
               Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: MEDIONPC
           System Model: MS-7318
                   BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
              Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6300  @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
                 Memory: 3070MB RAM
              Page File: 1915MB used, 4452MB available
            Windows Dir: C:\Windows
        DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 64bit Unicode

-------------
    Sound Devices
    -------------
                Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
     Default Sound Playback: Yes
     Default Voice Playback: Yes
                Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_14627318&REV_1000
            Manufacturer ID: 1
                 Product ID: 100
                       Type: WDM
                Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
             Driver Version: 6.00.0001.5864 (English)
          Driver Attributes: Final Retail
                WHQL Logo'd: n/a
              Date and Size: 6/2/2009 18:15:14, 1766944 bytes
                Other Files:
            Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
             HW Accel Level: Basic
                  Cap Flags: 0x0
        Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
     Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
                  HW Memory: 0
           Voice Management: No
     EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
       I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
    Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Description: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
     Default Sound Playback: No
     Default Voice Playback: No
                Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_14627318&REV_1000
                WHQL Logo'd: n/a
                Other Files:
        Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0

---------------------
    Sound Capture Devices
    ---------------------
                Description: Aux (Realtek High Definition Audio)
      Default Sound Capture: Yes
      Default Voice Capture: Yes
               Format Flags: 0x0

Description: Capture (Creatix SAA7131, Triple Capture Device)
      Default Sound Capture: No
      Default Voice Capture: No
                Driver Name: Ph3xIB64.sys
             Driver Version: 6.00.0000.0007 (English)
              Date and Size: 4/3/2007 10:30:14, 1418112 bytes

Description: Realtek Digital Input (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Sunday, June 14, 2009 6:08 AM
  • Hi Azmo,

In your case I can see that Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) are chosen as default playback device.
    So go to multimedia control panel(mmsys.cpl) and choose "Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)" as default playback device to get HDMI output.

If chosing correct devices too does NOT help you, request you to use default Inbox HD audio driver from microsoft.
    You can do that by:-
    1) Uninstalling the Realtek HD audio device from device manager.
    2) Scan for Hardware changes to get inbox HD audio driver.
    3) Go go multimedia control panel and select the required output device as default.

Hopefully this should resolve the problem.
    Please do let me the know the outcome.

Thanks,
    Alok Upadhyay
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:39 AM
  • Hi Alok,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. However. Both proposals for the solution do not work. The playback device does indicate that there is sound being played (via the green status bar) but nothing comes out HDMI port or hadphone socket. ALL drivers on PC are up to date. The microsoft HD audio driver was the one that was installed following the SP2 update that seemed to cause this issue..but after installing the realtek 2.26 update the issue was still not resolved?...Let me know if you would like more info.

Amarjit
    Monday, June 15, 2009 7:03 AM
  • Weird.....I changed the default playback default to the other that normally does not work and did a test then changed back to the other and tested and this seemed to resolve the issue?? This was using the realtek 2.26 driver. Hope this helps others with the same issue. Thanks to all who helped.
    • Proposed as answer by Amzo Monday, June 15, 2009 7:07 AM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 7:07 AM
  • Hi Rdeby,

Looking at the Hardware ID, as the on board audio card is HD audio device from NVIDIA you can not install AC'97 audio codec.

Request you to update your inbox HD audio driver by going to device manager and select "update driver software" and
    Then click on "Search automatically for updated driver software".
    Once your driver is installed, go to multimedia control panel and select the desired device as default output device.
    I can see multiple devices in the DxDiag received from you, so you may need to chose the correct device as default output device.

Please let me know if this does not help you.

Thanks,
    Alok Upadhyay

• Proposed as answer by Klais Saturday, June 20, 2009 7:34 AM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 7:24 AM
  • I have this problem too...

I would point out that I can play test sounds and I get sound in games.. just no sound from windows.. no systems sound, no sound in media player or winamp...ext ext

I had this same problem with the update just before sp1 and now with sp2.

Any ideas other then system restore?
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 2:03 PM
  • Hi Abram

The best thing to try out is If you are using Realtek, Is to open the Realtek HD Audio Manager and configure your speaker , For some reason If you are not connected the speakers on the right port this plays around , Try changing the speakers (for eg:stereo,Quadronoic , 5.1) around and see if this work
    Monday, October 5, 2009 11:59 AM
  • hey all

i found that simply by disconecting my speakers, then reconecting whilst i have the audio manager open, it gives you an option to select what device has been plugged in, when i chose 'front speaker out' the problem was resolved. hope this can be of some help to anybody experiencing the same frustration that i did myself
    • Proposed as answer by stinhoutx Monday, November 2, 2009 12:42 AM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 8:20 PM
  • This problem has happened to me a few times and the same thing fixes it every time so far, i have the same onboard audio realtek as above, when ever i install an update most commonly Service packs and recently Service pack 2 for windows vista, the sound stops working even tho everything seems fine.

my solution is this: check for updates to the audio driver before uninstalling, once you have the update. Uninstall the driver in Device manager, this should be in Control Panel.

for the sake of trying to solve this problem, unplug your speakers and restart your computer before installing or re-installing the audio drivers, once you have restarted, Plug your speakers in and then install the audio drivers if it doesn't ask you to automatically and then restart your computer. after all this i had to unplug and then plug my speakers back in once more and then a dialouge box pops up asking me what did i just plug in, and i select Front speakers (which i assume means front left and right speakers), on occasion i had to make sure i had the correct selection for default audio device in sound settings under control panel.

i hope this works for you!

these steps in this sequence worked for me, but only after uninstalling and re-installing drivers and restarting my computer about 4 times, i think it is sensative to the actual sequence that these steps is done in, perhaps once a big update such as service pack 2 has been installed, the computer will take more kindly to speakers and audio drivers, if first the speakers are plugged in and then the drivers are installed, the actual sequence may vary from system to system i am not sure, but i do know this solution has worked for me on more than 1 occasion on the same computer.
    • Edited by loopafox Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:57 PM update:
    • Proposed as answer by conjoiner Monday, February 15, 2010 5:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:54 PM
  • I knew I wanted to try this but put it off wanting to avoid having to dig around back to the panel to do this. So, after updating to the latest driver for mine, I pulled out the jacks and plugged in one at a time, responding to the prompt to confirm which jack was just plugged in. Now I have sound on all six speakers. Apparently the SP2 update changed the jack setting from "front" to "side". (For RealTek HD)

Thanks, bridgart!!
    Monday, November 2, 2009 12:45 AM
  • I had the exact same problem, and my device manager checked everything out ok.  I disabled, enabled, uninstalled, and reinstalled my audio driver too.  But what I did when I uninstalled it was UNCHECK "delete driver" and that made it not work.  Try deleting the driver completely then redownloading it and installing it.  That worked for me.
    • Proposed as answer by conjoiner Monday, February 15, 2010 5:40 PM
    Friday, November 13, 2009 12:28 AM
  • I had the same problem!!
    I tried almost everything (updated drivers(through Device Manger, hardware vendor software) , tried different drivers like IDT, Realtek, conexant, installed UAA, forced installed, System restore)...... DIDNOT WORK!!

Finally I found the solution!!

• Control Panel > Programs and Features > Installed Updates... Right click on "Service Pack for Windows.. " and Uninstall.
    After the restart, i heard the Windows login sound...

I think SP2 got a problem here... may be some incompatibility issues.. I guess!!

Saturday, November 21, 2009 5:14 AM
  • hi there,
     this problem also happens to me (realtek)...i use 5.1 speakers but after installing vista sp2, it changes to stereo (left and right speakers didnt work)...besides, there is no sound when my pc is restarting (windows's sound) and when i play movies or songs, the sound is not clear (it is like a background sound)

i hv tried everything that u guys suggested but seems like it doesnt work....i feel like microsoft is making fun of us
    i uninstalled sp2 but the problem still persist...what should i do now...

is the problem can be solved if i upgrade my windows to windows 7(i got free copy..;p)..but i'm afraid other problems might occur like the graphic card driver...mybe i should stick with XP!!!

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 12/5/2009, 17:51:10
           Machine name: AMED-PC
       Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090805-0102)
               Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
           System Model: EP45-DS4P
                   BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
              Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9400  @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
                 Memory: 4094MB RAM
              Page File: 1823MB used, 6564MB available
            Windows Dir: C:\Windows
        DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
          Display Tab 1: No problems found.
            Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
            Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
              Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
    DirectX Debug Levels
    --------------------
    Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
    DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
            Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
         Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
            Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9460)
             DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
           Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9460&SUBSYS_21CB1458&REV_00
       Display Memory: 2809 MB
     Dedicated Memory: 1018 MB
        Shared Memory: 1791 MB
         Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
              Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
          Driver Name: atidxx32,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atiumdva,atiumd64.dll,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
       Driver Version: 8.15.0010.0183 (English)
          DDI Version: 10.1
     Driver Date/Size: 3/4/2009 15:16:32, 2396160 bytes
          WHQL Logo'd: Yes
      WHQL Date Stamp:
    Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-D720-11CF-6F75-C101A1C2C535}
            Vendor ID: 0x1002
            Device ID: 0x9460
            SubSys ID: 0x21CB1458
          Revision ID: 0x0000
          Revision ID: 0x0000
          Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C
     Deinterlace Caps: {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                       {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
                       {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
                       {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                       {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
                       {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
                       {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
                       {3C5323C1-6FB7-44F5-9081-056BF2EE449D}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                       {552C0DAD-CCBC-420B-83C8-74943CF9F1A6}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                       {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                       {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
                       {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
                       {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
                       {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
                       {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
                       {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
                       {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
                       {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
         DDraw Status: Enabled
           D3D Status: Enabled
           AGP Status: Enabled

-------------
    Sound Devices
    -------------
                Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
     Default Sound Playback: Yes
     Default Voice Playback: Yes
                Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0885&SUBSYS_1458A002&REV_1001
             Driver Version: 6.00.0001.5672 (English)
              Date and Size: 7/24/2008 21:05:46, 1488032 bytes
                Other Files:
                  Cap Flags: 0xF1F
        Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0

Description: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
     Default Sound Playback: No
     Default Voice Playback: No
                Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0885&SUBSYS_1458A002&REV_1001
                Other Files:
                  Cap Flags: 0xF1F
        Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0

---------------------
    Sound Capture Devices
    ---------------------
                Description: Realtek Digital Input (Realtek High Definition Audio)
      Default Sound Capture: Yes
      Default Voice Capture: Yes
                  Cap Flags: 0x1
               Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

Description: Microphone (Logitech Mic (QuickCam S7500))
                Driver Name: USBAUDIO.sys
             Driver Version: 6.00.6001.18000 (English)
              Date and Size: 1/21/2008 13:47:04, 98816 bytes
                  Cap Flags: 0x1
               Format Flags: 0xFFFFF
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 6:50 AM
  • To solve this problem, I upgraded to the latest drivers of Realtek , and select "SPEAKER FILL" button and there is the sound
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 9:05 AM
  • I jsut updated to Vista Service Pack 2 and no sound. Went to Realtek HD Audio Manager in control Panel. When the update went in somehow it changed my configuration to 5.1 surround sound. I changed it back to stero and everything now works. Hope this helps. I have the most recent updates already installed audio wise..
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:48 AM
  • I had the same problem after updating to sp2.  All I was attempting to do was to use 4 speakers (2 to a jack) using the front and rear outputs on the back panel.  Here's what I had to do.

1.  Open the Realtek Audio Manager
    2.  Select the Speakers tab
    3.  In the Speaker Configuration tab, select 7.1 (just do it)
    4.  Deselect the Subwoofer, Center, and Side pair choices, and select both Front Left and Right and Surround Speakers.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:24 AM
  • This works
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 7:53 PM
  • Hey guys very important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

it worked!!!!!!!!Hurray! 

My problem with (windows vista home basic) 

You don't have to do anything,just go in device manager and find sound video and game controller then click on (+) button, you will get VIA high definition audio then go to the properties and then driver, and choose update driver,you will get two option,choose the second one,browse my computer for driver software,then in the next page you will see,let me pick from a list of device driver in my computer, you will get two option again,choose,high definition audio device,keep on looking in your audio icon in the monitor of your computer,if it changes,its okay if it doesn't then do same procedure and choose next one.But in my case it changed in the beginning,the audio icon didn't anymore showed no audio output device is installed,and i played ,there was sound passing through speaker but i didn't hear anything,then i again went through device manager and finally updated it after choosing the properties from sound video and game controller,then i got sound!!!! 

Give try!!!
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:03 AM
  • Hey guys very important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

it worked!!!!!!!!Hurray! 

My problem with (windows vista home basic) 

You don't have to do anything,just go in device manager and find sound video and game controller then click on (+) button, you will get VIA high definition audio then go to the properties and then driver, and choose update driver,you will get two option,choose the second one,browse my computer for driver software,then in the next page you will see,let me pick from a list of device driver in my computer, you will get two option again,choose,high definition audio device,keep on looking in your audio icon in the monitor of your computer,if it changes,its okay if it doesn't then do same procedure and choose next one.But in my case it changed in the beginning,the audio icon didn't anymore showed no audio output device is installed,and i played ,there was sound passing through speaker but i didn't hear anything,then i again went through device manager and finally updated it after choosing the properties from sound video and game controller,then i got sound!!!! 

Give try!!!    Rom 6,8 vrses 1-14 (both)
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:04 AM
  • Hi....I have the same problem...after upgrade my Vista from SP 1 to SP 2 through update manager....lost all sounds....Device manager says all is up to date, all drivers shows that all runing and work properly, but I havn't any sound?! Tried with 'FIX IT'....nothing....doesn't help....re-instaled the sounds drivers....again...no efect....Are there some one who cam help....or otherwise I have to reinstall my old version on Vista with SP1 with back up copy?
    • Proposed as answer by Drfeelgewd Friday, February 22, 2013 6:16 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Drfeelgewd Friday, February 22, 2013 6:17 AM
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:50 PM