none
DPM 2010 - SQL Recovery Points RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm backing up a couple of SQL 2008 and SQL 2008 R2 servers and have a few questions, Im hoping someone might be able to help me out with them.

1. When I select a database and look at all recovery points the size of the recovery points on disk all seem to say 0KB apart from one, the size on tape seems to be correct. I know the contents of some of the databases are changing very regularly and I'm not getting any error message about the recovery points not being made. Could anyone explain why this is happening?

2. One the servers has all its databases set to use the full recovery model and I'm currently creating a recovery point once a day. If I try and restore using the latest  recovery point I only get the option to "Recover to orginal instance of SQL Server (Overwrite database)". If I try and use the same recovery but select the time it was made from the recovery time drop down I get all four option avaliable to me. I'm unsure why that's happening.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thursday, November 25, 2010 10:18 AM

Answers

• 1. Its one of the limitations of co-location. Sizes currently show up as 0 KB

2. The recovery option - 'Latest'  is actually Tail log backup of protected database followed by recovery from DPM followed by restore of the tail log. The tail log operation can happen on the original database and hence you see only the option 'Overwrite database' enabled.

Thanks, Hitesh “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Andrew!

Regardig your second question, this is bt design. Using the latest technique it's only possible to restore to the original instance.

Regarding your first question, could you please clarify your question.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

• Proposed as answer by Melgendi Monday, December 13, 2010 10:49 AM
    Friday, November 26, 2010 7:30 AM
  • Hi Robert!

Thanks for the fast reply and answering up my second question.

Here’s a bit more detail on my first question; I'm testing protecting 24 databases in two different protection groups, both groups currently have the same settings applied to them. They are backing up to disk for short term protection Tuesday - Friday at 6am and then backing up to tape at 6am on Saturday for long term protection.

If I go to the recovery tab and select a database and then choose show all recovery points, the recovery points listed on disk have 0 KB as their size for the vast majority of the databases. The size for the recovery points on tape for all databases seems to match the actual database size.

DPM isn't creating any alerts when backing up the databases in the week and if I right click on a database and select recovery point status... and run the report DPM reports having all the recovery points I would expect.

I'm unsure why the recovery points on disk are showing as 0 KB for the databases and I find it odd that it’s not consistent across all the database in the two groups. If you or anyone else could shine some light on the situation that would be great.

Thanks,

Andrew

Friday, November 26, 2010 10:33 AM
  • Hello,

A bit more info on the recovery points being listed as 0KB; I'm able to recovery databases from them without any trouble and they contain the data that was present when the recovery points were created.

If anyone has any idea why the recovery points on disk are showing as 0KB or they have seen the same thing please let me know.

Thanks,

Andrew

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Sounds strange.

Are you using colocation for your SQL backups? I wrote a script recently http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/en-us/7e9f4926-000b-4c9f-bbe9-8f4b4ac7187f for me to list which DM backups are going where. It might help you to get an idea of what's going on.

Which part of the console reports 0KB?

• Proposed as answer by Melgendi Monday, December 13, 2010 10:49 AM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 10:09 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I have collocation enabled on the DPM server. I ran the script and the output gave me some more info which is great, but I'd still like to know why the console is displaying 0KB for some of the recovery points.

It showing 0KB on the Recovery tab when I expand a SQL Server instance and select a database on the left hand side. Under the calendar the database is listed below the heading Recoverable Item, if I right click on it and select Show All recovery points I get a list of recovery points but all the ones on disk are 0KB, the ones which have been copied to tape have size which is roughly what I would expect. As mentioned above this is happening to the majority of database but there are a few instances where the recovery point on disk is showing a correct figure.

Thanks again
    Andrew

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Hello. We have same trouble.
    Новик Вадим
    Friday, December 17, 2010 7:40 AM
  • Hi,

I've checked my console and the size is reported correctly for Tape backup but I get the same issue when I select disk. I've just done a test restore which has worked. So it looks like like a cosmetic issue but I have a further play as it would be nice to know the size you need before the restore!

J

Friday, December 17, 2010 12:10 PM
  • Hi,

I've done some investigation and I think this has to be a bug. I've created a new script to output recovery point information including the size and all my SQL backups report no size http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/en-us/ff6a458f-9386-464c-876d-5d34ad541197

It would be interesting to see what it reports when it's no a colocated PG but as the tape backs do report the size correctly and I'm using colocated tapes I'm guessing the fault will remain.

Sorry I could be of more help, if anyone has a pipline into the Microsoft DPM guys it would be worth a question ;o)

J

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 1:05 PM

2. The recovery option - 'Latest'  is actually Tail log backup of protected database followed by recovery from DPM followed by restore of the tail log. The tail log operation can happen on the original database and hence you see only the option 'Overwrite database' enabled.

Thanks, Hitesh “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Hi Andrew!

Regardig your second question, this is bt design. Using the latest technique it's only possible to restore to the original instance.

Regarding your first question, could you please clarify your question.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

How do you think it is by design? I was able to restore database to any SQL server available before the last Roll-Up update for DPM 2010. After that I can restore database only to DPM SQL and original SQL instance. Definetly something changed with updates.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:36 AM

Are there any plans to fix this limitation of co-location in the next updates?
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Sorry to reply to an old post, but I currently am looking at this issue and can't figure out what you mean:

1) "It's one of the limitations of co-location": Why does it it sometimes show the size and sometimes not?

2) "The recovery option - 'Latest':" I'm very confused on this one.

-Doesn't that mean you are overwriting the current database with the same database (restore point + tail log backup = current database)?

-When would you use this recovery option?  I would assume you would want to do a restore to revert the DB to an older "good" state, or restore to alternative server for other reasons, but not the 'latest' database to the same location.

Thursday, August 4, 2011 5:00 PM