none
Clients Deleting record type 1 from DNS RRS feed

• Question

• Have a strange one here.  I have noticed that all of my clients have AAAA records but only some of them have A records.  In looking at the DNS-Server event logs I am seeing (for the clients that have AAAA records but no A records) that the DHCP server is creating both type 1 (A) and type 28 (AAAA) but then the client comes back and deletes both of those records and then creates only a type 28.

Has anyone run into a problem similar to this or know why this would be?

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jonathnrto,

>> the client comes back and deletes both of those records and then creates only a type 28.

This issue occurs if Option 81 is defined and 6to4 interfaces are present.

Please check link below to understand and fix it:

Cumulative list of reasons that DNS records disappear from DNS zones

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2985877/cumulative-list-of-reasons-that-dns-records-disappear-from-dns-zones

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Jonathnrto Friday, March 3, 2017 6:47 PM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:24 AM
  • You my kind sir are awesome.  What I found was that not only is it that Option 81 is defined and 6to4 interfaces are present but also due to the fact that we have public IP's.  

For those that are interested.  I tested disabling a few workstations by running "netsh int ipv6 6to4 set state disabled" and when that was found to fix my issue I deployed via group policy with the help of the following admx:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/5927.how-to-disable-ipv6-through-group-policy.aspx

Thanks again John.

<textarea class="crayon-plain print-no" data-settings="dblclick" readonly="readonly" style="color:#000000;background-image:initial;background-background-size:initial;background-repeat:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;box-shadow:none;border-width:0px;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;padding:0px 5px;width:582.266px;margin:0px;height:45px;opacity:0;box-sizing:border-box;border-radius:0px;white-space:pre;word-wrap:normal;resize:none;tab-size:4;font-size:12px !important;font-family:Monaco, MonacoRegular, 'Courier New', monospace !important;line-height:15px !important;" wrap="soft"></textarea>
    netsh int ipv6 isatap set state disabled
    netsh int ipv6 6to4 set state disabled
    <textarea class="crayon-plain print-no" data-settings="dblclick" readonly="readonly" style="color:#000000;background-image:initial;background-background-size:initial;background-repeat:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;box-shadow:none;border-width:0px;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;padding:0px 5px;width:582.266px;margin:0px;height:45px;opacity:0;box-sizing:border-box;border-radius:0px;white-space:pre;word-wrap:normal;resize:none;tab-size:4;font-size:12px !important;font-family:Monaco, MonacoRegular, 'Courier New', monospace !important;line-height:15px !important;" wrap="soft"></textarea>
    netsh int ipv6 isatap set state disabled
    netsh int ipv6 6to4 set state disabled
    Friday, March 3, 2017 6:53 PM
  • Hi Jonathnrto,

You are welcome.

And thanks for your sharing.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 6, 2017 1:50 AM