Outlook 2016 crashing when pressing 'Invite Attendees' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I'm not sure if this is a windows update issue, but over the past week, I have had 4 occurrences of the above.

If a user creates a new calendar event, then clicks on the 'invite attendees' button, Outlook immediately crashes and restarts.

Nothing has changed on the network besides updates. Is anyone else seeing this? or have a clue why?

Thanks,

Nathan

Friday, May 3, 2019 6:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Nathan,

Have you made any changes to Office and Windows before this issue occur?

What's the detailed version of Office and Windows?

>>If a user creates a new calendar event, then clicks on the 'invite attendees' button, Outlook immediately crashes and restarts.

Does it only occurs when creating event? What if we create a new appointment and then click "Invite Attendees"?

From the description, this issue doesn't always happen when you click "Invite Attendees", right?

Does this only occurs to one apecific account? In case there were something wrong with the data file, please repair Outlook data file.

If issue continues, I'd like to recommend you test this issue in a new profile. Please check this official article to create a new profile.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, May 6, 2019 2:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, May 7, 2019 4:48 AM
    Monday, May 6, 2019 1:56 AM
  • Hi Perry, I've tried re-creating their (outlook) profile to no avail.

I have also found a work around, if I disable the Microsoft Exchange Add in, it all works as expected. What this addin actually does is a bit of a mystery. MS is very vague as to what it does, but it is the culprit. 

Since the problem popped up, I've had another 5 or so users become 'affected', no changes to the system besides windows updates.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 11:22 PM
  • Hi,

I did lots of research. There is no official reports regarding what Microsoft Exchange Add in works for. According to my experience, the Microsoft Exchange Add-in is Exchange support for Unified Messaging, e-mail permission rules, and calendar availability. It is part of Outlook.

We can install available updates for Office and Outlook to see if there are any improvements.

Besides, if the add in is broken, we can also replace it. Rename it to UmOutlookAddin.old. Copy a new UmOutlookAddin.dll file from another client (without issue) to your destination Folder. 

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, May 8, 2019 11:38 AM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 11:36 AM
  • Hi Nathan,

Just check if the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, May 9, 2019 5:07 AM
  • Hi Perry, since I last posted, there have been another 5 or so machines affected by this.

I'll look into replacing the exchange addin file, could do the trick.

Friday, May 10, 2019 4:05 AM
  • Just check if there are any updates with this issue. If you have more concern, please feel free to tell us :)

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, May 13, 2019 6:34 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2019 6:34 AM
  • Hi Nathan,

We too experienced this issue, it seems this could have been caused by an April Windows or more likely Office update. I have since deployed May 2019 Windows and Office updates and the affected machines are no longer experiencing the issue.

Im yet to determine which update(s) has caused this, I noticed this thread when we experienced the issue and I thought I'd share what we had done so far

Regards,

Craig

MCTS | MCITP | MCSA

• Proposed as answer by Toffeenose81 Friday, July 26, 2019 1:53 PM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:15 AM
  • Been dealing with this today.

Seems like KB4462239 is the culprit. I was able to resolve on a couple systems so far by uninstalling that. I'm going to try and also figure out which specific May update fixes it. 

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:13 PM
  • Looks like the fix is KB4464540

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 4:03 PM