none
Process Explorer mysteriously invisible RRS feed

• Question

• It seems after the update in September, procexp and procexp64 aren't opening properly on my machine.  If I launch the executables via shortcut or cmd, icons are created in the task bar and system tray, and if I Alt+Tab I can correctly see a preview of what the application looks like while running, but I can't bring the window to focus.  No errors are being thrown if I run from cmd.  Is anyone else experiencing this after the update?  Or is there something wonky with my machine that could have led to this behavior?

Things of note:

• I'm running Windows 7, SP1
    • I use the Sysinternals Chocolatey package, however, I've tried the standalone Process Explorer package, as well as the direct download from docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer, all to the same effect.
    Friday, October 25, 2019 1:26 PM

Answers

• Looks like it is just outside of the regular screen border..

You can reach the app and move it back  inside the screen using this sequence of keys.

First of all give it focus clicking on the  toolbar button, where you can see the preview.

Then in strict sequence click the following buttons:

Alt
    Left
    Down
    Down 
    Enter

After you press Enter, you can move the windows around using the arrow buttons.. try left and right before and then up and down.

Please, learn the key sequence using Notepad before, so you understand exactly what's going on. Start notepad, click on its icon and then use the key sequence above. You will see a 4 arrow appear on the main window of the app, that is the signal that you can move it around..

HTH
    -mario 

• Marked as answer by Brent McKain Friday, October 25, 2019 2:39 PM
    Friday, October 25, 2019 1:52 PM
  • Thanks Mario!  Your first line, "Looks like it is just outside of the regular screen border..", was more than sufficient, though.  Rather than use the sequence of keys you suggested, I simply pressed "Win+Up" to maximize the window and that automatically moved the window back onto the screen.
    Friday, October 25, 2019 2:32 PM

All replies

• Looks like it is just outside of the regular screen border..

You can reach the app and move it back  inside the screen using this sequence of keys.

First of all give it focus clicking on the  toolbar button, where you can see the preview.

Then in strict sequence click the following buttons:

Alt
    Left
    Down
    Down 
    Enter

After you press Enter, you can move the windows around using the arrow buttons.. try left and right before and then up and down.

Please, learn the key sequence using Notepad before, so you understand exactly what's going on. Start notepad, click on its icon and then use the key sequence above. You will see a 4 arrow appear on the main window of the app, that is the signal that you can move it around..

HTH
    -mario 

Friday, October 25, 2019 1:52 PM
  • Thanks Mario!  Your first line, "Looks like it is just outside of the regular screen border..", was more than sufficient, though.  Rather than use the sequence of keys you suggested, I simply pressed "Win+Up" to maximize the window and that automatically moved the window back onto the screen.
    Friday, October 25, 2019 2:32 PM
  • Great!

:-)

Friday, October 25, 2019 2:45 PM