none
Project Professional 2016 Connection to Project Online Issue RRS feed

• Question

• We recently migrated to Project Online and some are having problems with connecting to Project Online with their company installed copy (not click to run, the company already has Project Professional 2016 licenses). After install, they cannot connect to Project Online. When they launch Ms Project and try to connect to Project Online they get a message "We are unable to connect right now. Please check your network and try again later."

The network is fine, all other applications including other Microsoft applications are running and connected. When I check the Account page in MS Project Professional 2016 it is only showing a "Sign in" button instead of the account user information. Product is activated. When they click the "Sign in" button on the account screen and attempt to sign in, they again get the message "We are unable to connect right now. Please check your network and try again later."

These are Win 10 64 bit machines, so not sure why this is happening. Anyone else having this problem and if so, what was the fix?

Rick Frisby

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 5:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Rick,

I was working with a major corporate that had purchased licences for Project Pro. They were using Project Server 2010 at the time and were looking at moving to Project Online.

We were advised that even if we installed Project Pro 2016 we would not be able to connect to Project Online using existing licences that had been purchased, we had to use the subscription application which is downloaded from Office 365 and as you observed has the identifier of "click to run". Checking my thread history I can see that we connected on this same issue a while back.

Perhaps someone else on this Forum can confirm the situation.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

• Edited by Dominic Moss Thursday, June 28, 2018 10:39 AM update
    Thursday, June 28, 2018 10:36 AM
  • Hi Dominic,

Thanks for the reply, but we are actually connecting to Project Online with our msi installed MS Project Professional 2016 with most of our Project Managers, so we know it does connect. However, we had four that are experiencing the message above. Two we found had windows 7, so we had to install the 32 bit version of Project Professional 2016 and that worked. The remaining two have Win 10/64 bit machines. I'm puzzled as I have a Win 10/64 bit machine and am connecting just fine with our msi installed MS Project Professional 2016. Trying to figure out what could be different as our software is pushed by IT. Hoping some else may have run across this and found a solution. Build maybe? 

Rick Frisby

Thursday, June 28, 2018 1:11 PM
  • Apologies Rick, I hadn't appreciated that your situation was partial rather than absolute.

This might sound crazy but have you considered deleting the Project Server Accounts in Project Professional and then re-creating them in a new session in the app?

I have seen one or two cases where for whatever reason recreating the Project Server account in Project Professional has resolved the connection issue.

Another option to explore is to have users click the Gantt Icon in PWA and see if that will force Project Pro to open or to provoke a message about Project Professional being required. 

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Thursday, June 28, 2018 1:32 PM
  • No problem Dominic. We tried opening Project Professional from PWA, but same message. We also tried to change accounts (tried to remotely sign in to his machine and use my account, but get the same message as above.

I can't delete the account in Project Professional 2016 as it is not there to begin with. After install, on the account screen it just has a "Sign - in" button and no account information, so nothing to delete (see below).

After my install, the full account information was there (see below), so perplexed as to why a few installed differently from what is supposed to be the same push.

I should also note that these folks can sign in to PoL, so it would seem their account information is ok. Open to suggestions on troubleshooting this one.

Rick Frisby

Thursday, June 28, 2018 2:36 PM
  • Folks, found a resolution to this via folks at FluentPro who referred me to this article which has to do with the same sort of problem, only with Outlook...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ef65a6c0-6f4a-497b-913f-d55d4a42aa7a/outlook-8220we-are-unable-to-connect-right-now-please-check-your-network-and-try-again?forum=outlook

Seems, disconnecting from our corporate VPN (Pulse Secure) and connecting off network (guest, home, etc) as explained in the article worked for project too. After doing this, the next time the user logged on to Project Online with the client while on VPN it worked. Go figure! Take a look at this article if you are having this problem.

Rick Frisby

• Marked as answer by Rick VF Thursday, July 5, 2018 8:17 PM
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 8:17 PM