none
Collect data on XML file using Enterprise Site Discovery for IE 8 RRS feed

• Question

• i have followed the following links :

https://www.petri.com/audit-internet-explorer-usage-with-the-enterprise-site-discovery-toolkit

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn833204.aspx

i am able to collect data using WMI but unable to  get it on XML file .i am providing a local location of the file but unable to collect any data . 

the data collection is only working for single user how to enable it for all users?/

thanks

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:52 PM

All replies

• the data collection is only working for single user how to enable it for all users?

The TechNet article mentions that you need to use "Group Policy".  Did you find what that meant and try to use it?

<quote>
    The current .ps1 file defaults to turn off WMI reporting and you can’t turn on XML reporting from PowerShell. To turn on WMI and XML reporting you must use Group Policy. For more info about Group Policy, see Setting up Enterprise Site Discovery using Group Policy in this topic.
    </quote>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:30 PM
    Answerer
  • i have followed the following links :

https://www.petri.com/audit-internet-explorer-usage-with-the-enterprise-site-discovery-toolkit

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn833204.aspx

i am able to collect data using WMI but unable to  get it on XML file .i am providing a local location of the file but unable to collect any data . 

the data collection is only working for single user how to enable it for all users?/

thanks

Did you enable the Group Policy setting within "Computer Configuration" or "User Configuration" ?

Don

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 9:41 PM
  • i have applied group policy from domian controller within "Computer Configuration" .For adding the custom group policies i have added  i have used .adml and .admx files these policies are applied properly and are reflecting the changes on the client machines.i confirmed this by checking the registry setting changes made by group  policy.

thanks

Thursday, September 24, 2015 6:56 AM
  • So, you deployed the Powershell script?

You need to set up your computers for data collection by running the provided PowerShell script (IETelemetrySetUp.ps1) to compile the .mof file and to update security privileges for the new WMI classes.
    You must run this script regardless if you’re using WMI or XML as your data output.

Which arguments did you apply to the script?

In your Group Policy settings, for "Turn on Site Discovery XML Output", did you configure an output path for the XML, a location which all users/each user, have read/write permissions?

Don

Thursday, September 24, 2015 7:41 AM
  • i ran the power shell script (IETelemetrySetUp.ps1) without any additional parameters and i have enabled the Group policy "Turn on Site Discovery XML Output" while applying the policy we are suppose to provide XML the file location .i Tried local as well as shared location for the XML file location both didn't worked .

c:\cimv2\IETelemetry

\\systemname\cimv2\IETelemetry

i tried other parameters also with powershell power shell script (IETelemetrySetUp.ps1) but that also didn't worked

Thursday, September 24, 2015 11:45 AM
  • Hi,

For your question, please try below steps to collect data by using group policy:
    1. Start PowerShell with admin and run command "powershell -ExecutionPolicy Bypass .\IETElemetrySetUp.ps1" to by-passing the PowerShell execution policy.
    2. Open your Group Policy editor, and go to Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer to turn on WMI or XML output.
    3. Using Configuration Manager with hardware inventory to collect data.

If you have force this policy, please also check setting on client. If not update, please use GPUpdate.exe /force to refresh group policy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Allen_WangJF Thursday, September 24, 2015 2:10 PM
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 2:10 PM
  • On my Win10 pc, as a test, I executed the IETelemetrySetUp-Win8.ps1 without any arguments.
    This logged me off.
    I logged on, and then used gpedit.msc (local GP editor) to enable the User Configuration setting "Turn on Site Discovery XML Output".
    I configured the setting like this picture, and opened IE11, browsed to some websites, and the XML file was created, and contains the telemetry data about the browsed websites.

I think you must specify the complete drive\folder\filename.xml....

Don

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, September 24, 2015 9:15 PM
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 9:14 PM
  • i tried giving complete path but it didnt worked 

The group policy are applied correctly as the the folder path of XML file is reflected on client registry

even after this the xml file is not getting updated intially i thought the file might get created automatically but when it didnt create xml automatically i created it at the mentioned location but still no update

thanks  

Friday, September 25, 2015 5:05 AM
  • check the WMI namespace and class, maybe the MOF did not compile?

In my test machine, the WMI namespace and class are populated equally with the XML file, I suspect the WMI is needed regardless, and so if not capturing in WMI then there is nothing to write out to the XML ?

Don

• Proposed as answer by James.P Monday, December 14, 2015 3:39 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by James.P Monday, December 14, 2015 3:39 AM
    • Proposed as answer by James.P Monday, December 14, 2015 3:40 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2015 8:31 AM
  • For some reason I found;

Windows7 showed WMI as expected... but the XML output never seemed to work.

Windows 8.1 showed WMI and XML to my share \\server1\share\data.xml

I was using the same GPO for Win7 and 8.1, whereby the XML Computer GPO and the User Policy GPO were set.

Later on Win7, I made sure all the security updates were installed and then the XML bit worked!  

• Edited by James.P Tuesday, December 15, 2015 2:36 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2015 3:47 AM
  • I know this is a fairly old post... but the documentation on this from MS is not very complete.

If you don't want to use GPO (and maybe even if you do), I found that creating these registry keys and values will get IE to log the data to an XML file:

Create this key first (HKCU or HKU\<SID>) :
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\WMITelemetry

Then create these Values under that key:

Value: EnableXML
    Data: 1
    Type: DWORD

Value: XMLPath
    Data: "path" (FYI, I tried a sub directory under c:\windows and it didn't work... probably permissions)
    Type: String

Friday, February 19, 2016 2:54 PM
  • I've had two clients dump the IE discovery and go straight to the IE11 upgrade since IE10 is now unsupported
    Friday, February 19, 2016 8:28 PM
  • Hey , last time I did It was working , probbly in Januray 2016 , Today I am re-visioning,and the facing the issue ::::::xml file isnot populating with site discovery results.& WMI working :::::is dre any workaround if it occurs.??
    Monday, March 14, 2016 12:52 PM
  • Hi Everyone here,

What solved my "site discovery xml-Output" issue was I disabled the site discovery feature using powershell command:

PS C:\Users\Administrator> cd .\Desktop
    PS C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop> CD '.\Enterprise Site Discovery v2.1'
    PS C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Enterprise Site Discovery v2.1> powershell.exe -executionpolicy bypass .\IETelemetrySetUp-Win8.ps1 -iefeatureoff

& after singing out the machine log in again,re-run the script IETelemetrySetUp-Win8.ps1

PS C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Enterprise Site Discovery v2.1> powershell.exe -executionpolicy bypass .\IETelemetrySetUp-Win8.ps1created a new xml file in locally, linked that xml in the local gpo, update gpo, and browse some website in IE, then I checked the newly created file and TADA!!!It was loaded with my recently browsed websites....

The above testing was performed on windows 10 1511 vm

• Edited by Dhanraj B Tuesday, March 15, 2016 5:25 AM
    • Proposed as answer by shikha.k Tuesday, March 15, 2016 6:05 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2016 5:12 AM