Prompt User to reboot after install a program. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an advertisement which after installs the program needs to restart the client computer. However, if I set the option ConfigMgr restarts computer or Program restarts computer there is no message saying that the machine is about to restart. This is a problem if the user has documents and applications running at the moment. It just restarts without any notification. The application must be applied during the business hours wich means all users are logged on. How can I setup a user notification to restart machine after install an application? E.g. "Your machine has installed a new application and a reboot is necessary."

Tks in Advance,
    Giancarlo.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:28 AM

Answers

• I have never had success in having the popup notify the user that the install was done and a restart was necesary.  First the adv must be set to interactive otherwise the user will never see the the box.  It must be installed with progress bar or /passive.  Then they can see it, but when run inside of ConfigMgr it either hangs or passes over it.  Most applications will run just fine after the install and don't need the restart until later.  So what I do is just like Sherry has is I supress the restart and either do it during the maintanence window or just whenever the user restarts.  The other option is to supress the restart and then use a HTA popup at the end to notify the user that an application has installed that requires a restart.

http://www.sccm-tools.com http://sms-hints-tricks.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:54 PM
  • Since it's office, I'm guessing you used (or your packaging team used) the available setup customization tools.  Check with them to see if they can modify the setup to not force a reboot.  It is likely within the Transform.  Otherwise, what exactly is the command line you are using?  That might help me determine if I can help you suppress the restart.

fyi, like Matt, I never cared for the notification choices available to me post-install.  What I was accustomed to using was a pre-install custom notification script (it had some html in it) saying that a reboot would happen post-install.  Alternatively, if there wasn't a hard deadline and we had same play, I would set the program to only run when no user is logged in, and slowly catch 90% of the machines over a few weeks, and then do followup to catch the stragglers.

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:33 PM

All replies

• In both situations, ConfigMgr Restarts or Program restarts, the computer restarts?  I would suspect the program is initiating the restart in that case.  Because if you pick Program restarts, ConfigMgr wouldn't initiate a restart on it's own.  So the program must be doing it.

What's being installed?  If it's an MSI, you might be able to get away with adding   REBOOT=ReallySuppress to the program installation line.  i.e., if right now it's something like...

msiexec.exe /i NameOfTheMSI.MSI /qn

change it to be
    msiexec.exe /i NameOfTheMSI.MSI REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qn

If it's not an msi, but  setup.exe, your choices might be more limited.  It depends.  It depends if there is really an MSI inside there anyway.  What's the command line?  Is there a .msi file in the source folder, even though you are running setup.exe /s ?

If you can change the program to use REBOOT=ReallySuppress, and change the restart behavior to ConfigMgr Restarts, then your users will get a Countdown (if someone is logged in).  How long that countdown is you define: check Site Settings, Client Agents, Advertised Programs Client Agent (right-click), properties.  On the notification tab, confirm "provide a countdown" is checked, and check the # of minutes there.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:26 AM
  • Hi Sherry,

Tks for your reply. BTW, the program I'm deploying is the Office 2007 package. I've been doing some tests and after install the application a restart is necessary otherwise when the users open Word, for example, some error messages pop up.

The computer restarts in both cases.
    The countdown is set to 5 minutes.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:55 AM
  • I have never had success in having the popup notify the user that the install was done and a restart was necesary.  First the adv must be set to interactive otherwise the user will never see the the box.  It must be installed with progress bar or /passive.  Then they can see it, but when run inside of ConfigMgr it either hangs or passes over it.  Most applications will run just fine after the install and don't need the restart until later.  So what I do is just like Sherry has is I supress the restart and either do it during the maintanence window or just whenever the user restarts.  The other option is to supress the restart and then use a HTA popup at the end to notify the user that an application has installed that requires a restart.

http://www.sccm-tools.com http://sms-hints-tricks.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:54 PM
  • Since it's office, I'm guessing you used (or your packaging team used) the available setup customization tools.  Check with them to see if they can modify the setup to not force a reboot.  It is likely within the Transform.  Otherwise, what exactly is the command line you are using?  That might help me determine if I can help you suppress the restart.

fyi, like Matt, I never cared for the notification choices available to me post-install.  What I was accustomed to using was a pre-install custom notification script (it had some html in it) saying that a reboot would happen post-install.  Alternatively, if there wasn't a hard deadline and we had same play, I would set the program to only run when no user is logged in, and slowly catch 90% of the machines over a few weeks, and then do followup to catch the stragglers.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:33 PM