none
DPM 2012. Protect one source with several groups or diffferent schedules RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

For example:

One W2k8R2 file server. One share - "Common files". I'va got protection group for whole share, but I need to exclude some foldres and place them into another protection group with another schedule...

That's not supported "out of box", but somewhere I saw a great post about that.

Anyone knows?) any ideas?)

Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM does not allow the same datasource (a file share in your case) to be protected in more than one protection group.   The only workaround would to place the "special" folders under mount points, and you can then protect the mount points in seperate protection group(s) since they are considered seperate data sources.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM does not allow the same datasource (a file share in your case) to be protected in more than one protection group.   The only workaround would to place the "special" folders under mount points, and you can then protect the mount points in seperate protection group(s) since they are considered seperate data sources.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:36 PM
  • Mike ,thx for advice , but I'vе stuck.

Using mount point means that i've free volume, that i can assign...

But i havent.

Is there any lifehack?

Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:54 AM
  • Hi,

Can you shrink a volume on the system to make some free space to make a new volume ?  If not, then you are out of luck as DPM has no provision for what you want to do.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:59 AM
  • Actually i have about 300gb of unallocated space...

You suggest assign that volume to path, i need to exclude from my current protection group?

And what if a have few "paths"?

I can explain:

Common share is a place where all my users have they own folders for exchange.

All information marked as "critical".

But also there are few folders, such as "Foto", "Video", which I realy dont need to backup so often. That's my situation

Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Hi,

If you cannot segregate the data onto seperate volumes, then we have no solution in the product to address your desires.  DPM treats a volume as a single data source, so all data on it can only use the same recovery goals.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:34 PM
  • great flexablility!)

Mike thx a lot.

theme is closed.

Friday, October 12, 2012 2:45 AM