none
FQL - Simple Query Language support RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to know if this is the correct behaviour for Simple Query Language support (specifically using keyword 'OR'):

• string ("aaa OR bbb", mode="simpleall") returns 16 results.
    • string("aaa", mode="simpleall") returns 107 results.
    • string ("bbb", mode="simpleall") returns 18 results.

The expected behaviour of the query: string ("aaa OR bbb", mode="simpleall") should return at least 107 results.

However, the actual behaviour I see is the result set being 16 returning documents with keywords 'aaa' AND 'bbb' keywords only (i.e. not just 'aaa' nor 'bbb'). 

According to ESP_Query_Language_Parameters_Guide.pdf, page 96/97: 

The Simple Query Language support enables creation of search boxes with simple operators as found on
    popular search engines on the Web.This includes support for mixing words/phrases and mixing AND/OR/NOT
    in a simpler way than the more formal FQL syntax.

This format is supported within the syntax of the string() operator:
    string("<simple query language expression>", mode="simpleall")

Is there any further configuration I need? Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:22 AM

All replies

• Try this:

or(string("aaa", mode="simpleall"), string ("bbb", mode="simpleall") )

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 12:40 PM
  • That definitely returns the correct results; however, I am receiving the input string from a search box. As the ESP_Query_Language_Parameters_Guide states, it should support simple operators like AND.

Furthermore, the suggested format states the following: string("<simple query language expression>", mode="simpleall")  which means the query you suggested is not necessary.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:13 AM
  • simpleall doesn't support AND/OR/NOT, it only supports +/-

If you need or you can use simpleany, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a special need for or..

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:56 AM
  • Hi Murad,

According to ESP_Query_Language_Parameters_Guide.pdf, page 96/97: 

The Simple Query Language support enables creation of search boxes with simple operators as found on
    popular search engines on the Web.This includes support for mixing words/phrases and mixing AND/OR/NOT
    in a simpler way than the more formal FQL syntax.

This format is supported within the syntax of the string() operator:
    string("<simple query language expression>", mode="simpleall")

Doesn't the documentation imply "simpleall" should support Simple Query Language Expressions which includes AND/OR/NOT? Or what you are stating is the documentation is inaccurate?

Thanks.
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:19 AM