none
Domain controller replacement RRS feed

• Question

• We had ransomware hit our server and encrypted all of the drives and files.  I have reinstalled Windows Server 2008 Standard on a new SSD and recreated our network as best as I could recall using the same domain name, server name, user names, passwords, DHCP, DNS, etc.  All of the client computers that have Windows 10 Pro as operating system have connected without any problems and are functioning as they were before.  Two client computers are using Windows 7 Pro and Windows 7 Enterprise and are having problems, ranging from difficulty to logon at startup, to dropping drive shares, to dropping printer connections, etc.  These issues are intermittent.  I have turned off firewall protection to one of the computers hoping that was the issue, but no change.

There must be something intuitive in Windows 10 Pro that doesn't require a specific settings change in DNS or DHCP that Windows 7 needs, but I just don't remember what that is.  

Thursday, July 19, 2018 10:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Depending on your description of the problem, some device records in the DNS server may have problems.

Check the service records in the DNS server, especially the manually created records.

In addition, are there reserved IP addresses in the DHCP server for the devices that provides the service, such as the printer? Make sure the device is getting the correct IP address.

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 20, 2018 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 26, 2018 9:45 AM