Welcome Emails sending to individual users added to site but not to users added to SharePoint Group RRS feed

• Question

• When I add a user, individually, to a site (any permission level) and I select to send that user a Welcome Email message they receive the message.  And after this, if I add that user to a SharePoint group on that site I can also elect to receive a Welcome Email message - which works, too.

However, if I do not first add a user to the site individually and I try to add the user to a SharePoint Group first, I get the option to send a Welcome Email message, but none ever comes.

Adding users to SharePoint Groups and electing to receive a Welcome Email only works if I have added that user individually to the site first.

1) Can anyone else reproduce this?

2) Does anyone know what this issue is about and how to correct it?  It seems that the intended behavior, out of the box, is that the Welcome Email should go whenever anyone/group is added - regardless of where else they appear.

Brian Kennedy ECM Administrator
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:08 AM Not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In my local test, the welcome emails are sending properly either when adding users to SharePoint group or when giving users permission directly.

In order to do more research, please provide more information:

1.       Did this issue occur on a SharePoint group or all the group?

2.       Did the issue occur on one user or all the users?

3.       If occurred on one user, make sure the user you add to the group has set email address properly.

Let me know the result.

Regards,

Xue-Mei Chang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:01 AM
  • 1) This issue occurs when adding users, one by one, to a sharepoint group AND those users are not already added, individually, at the site/library/list level.  In your local test, did you make sure that the user wasn't already setup at the site/library/list level before you added them to the sharepoint group?

2) Any user added to a sharepoint group, who is not first added individually at the site/library/list level, will experience the issue.

3) When I add those same users in steps 1 and 2 individually to at the site/library/list level (meaning, Not in any permission group), the receive the welcome message just fine.  So, their email addresses are configured to receive mail properly.

Brian Kennedy ECM Administrator
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:48 PM
  • Hello,

I tried on my lab environment and I was not able to reproduce the issue. Can you please create a new web application and check whether you are seeing the same behavior and also please confirm you are using SharePoint groups and not AD-groups.

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Hi,

Check if all IPs of your server is added into allow relay list of SMTP server.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:08 AM
  • Hello, 

I run all the test cases and it's working fine on my test environment.

Try to remove user from "All People" it will remove from the site and then run your test case again.

I hope you can able to resolve the issue.

Regards Sandeep
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:51 PM