Is it possible to disable PF access for Exchange 2013 users in a coexistence scenario RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm in a coexistence scenario with Exchange 2013, 2010 & 2007.

Public folders are present and hosted on Exchange 2007.

I have some pilot users on Exchange 2013 ; those users do not require access to Public Folders.

When checking Outlook connectivity I can see there is always a connectivity to the legacy Public folder.

Is there a way to disable Public folder access for some users. I know there is a setting at the database level but as far as I know, the workaround is to go with ADSIedit and remove the PublicFolderMailboxDatabase attribute, as described here : http://exchangeserverpro.com/remove-default-public-folder-database-exchange-mailbox-database/

Are there any option ? Any side effect of removing this attribute in AD ?

Additionaly, I observed that when configured not in cache mode, no Public Folder connectivity is present.

Thanks for your feedback, have a great day !

• Edited by BobRazowski Tuesday, August 9, 2016 12:43 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 11:42 AM

All replies

• Till the time you dont setup the public folder proxy mailboxes Exchange 2013 users will not be able to access the public folder on exchange 2007 servers as mentioned in the below artical.

If you wish to disable the access disable public folder proxy mailboxes.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn690134(v=exchg.150).aspx

Thanks,

Yogesh

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 2:12 PM
  • Hi, thanks for answer.

In fact, I didn't configure anything on the Exchange 2013 servers but I can see, public folder item is present when I click the folder view in Outlook.

So my question remains : how can I force Outlook clients not to use this PF connectivity because they have nothing to do on public folders :)

Thanks

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:37 AM
  • Public Folders changed dramatically in Exchange 2013, but coexistence of legacy public folders on older versions of Exchange (2007 and 2010) and Exchange 2013 is possible and supported. If you intend to keep the Exchange 2007 server around you can configure coexistence for legacy public folders. Outlook 2010 and 2013 clients will be able to access the public folders hosted by the Exchange 2007 server computer.

The summary of this legacy public folder coexistence is that Exchange 2013 has changed the way that Outlook clients are referred to Public Folder stores. There are some specific commands you can run, after you've applied Exchange 2013 Cumulative Update 5 (or later), to configure your environment for legacy public folder coexistence.

I m not sure how its working without setting up all the things mentioned in the artical here.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2014/11/07/on-premises-legacy-public-folder-coexistence-for-exchange-2013-cumulative-update-7-and-beyond/

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:35 AM