none
Network Adaptor error: Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)

Question

• This problem started on my Lenovo laptop a few days ago.  It happened while I was using the machine and there were no errors or system updates running at the time and I had not installed any new software programs or hardware. I lost my Ethernet connection without warning and have not been able to restart it by reinstalling or updated the drive due the to above error during the update. My network adaptor driver is the Realtex PCIe GBE Family Controller. 

My laptop is only a few months old and came with Windows 10 Home installed. It was successfully updated to the Fall Creator editor over a month ago and I had no problems with the Ethernet connection until recently. It is the 64-bit version of Windows 10.

I read of similar issues on this forum but those seemed to be a result of Windows upgrades from earlier versions to Windows 10 which is not my case.

I attempted to do a network reset and that made things worse as it disabled my WiFi adaptor with the same error. Thankfully I was able to rollback the network configuration to an earlier save point and this restored my WiFi connection but not the Ethernet even though the save point was days earlier than the day I lost the Ethernet connection. 

I have uninstalled the adaptor and restarted my machine hoping that Windows would reinstall and start it during the start up process but it still fails with the same error.

Are there any suggestions for how to resolve this issue? Thanks. 

Friday, November 10, 2017 7:47 AM

Answers

• I had a similar problem but it happened after a windows upgrade feature was installed. In my case, uninstalling my Checkpoint VPN client and restarting immediately restored all my network adapters and they functioned normally. Maybe you can check if you have any similar application. I should also point out that when I had that error, only the checkpoint adapter was visible under the network adapter window all others were missing there but visible under device manager with the code 56 alert.
    • Marked as answer by Don.Mankewich Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:02 AM
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Don.Mankewich,

Temporary close antivirus then try to download and install network adapter driver from Realtex official site. We could manually install the driver by the steps in the link below.

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-update-drivers-after-upgrading-to-windows-10/

From this issue description: “Network Adaptor error: Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)”—it seems that the windows upgrade has not totally complete yet. You could do a system repair or rollback then upgrade again

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 13, 2017 10:46 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I tried reinstalling the driver with the antivirus program disabled but still got the same error.

Please note that I was not performing a Windows upgrade at the time of the original error event. My Windows 10 o/s has been stable for several months since the Fall Creators Edition update. My laptop shipped with Windows 10 installed so I did not need to update Windows from an earlier version. The only updates have been for Windows 10 against the Windows 10 o/s that was originally installed. I have spoken with a Lenovo tech support agent who suggested that I attempt a 'system reset'. Windows 10 now has a reset feature that does not require erasing all files on the machine and will keep personal data files so I may have to try that. 

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 11:12 AM
  • I had a similar problem but it happened after a windows upgrade feature was installed. In my case, uninstalling my Checkpoint VPN client and restarting immediately restored all my network adapters and they functioned normally. Maybe you can check if you have any similar application. I should also point out that when I had that error, only the checkpoint adapter was visible under the network adapter window all others were missing there but visible under device manager with the code 56 alert.
    • Marked as answer by Don.Mankewich Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:02 AM
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:45 PM
  • That was it!  Once I completely uninstalled the Checkpoint VPN client software and the network adaptor and then restarted my machine, my Ethernet adaptor successfully configured and enabled and my Ethernet connection is now working again.

I reinstalled the Checkpoint VPN client and adaptor and reconnected to the VPN and everything works fine. So the two adaptors do co-exist but there must have been some event that destabilised the Ethernet adaptor which put it in conflict with the Checkpoint adaptor so the order of installation is important.

I marked the above reply as the answer. 

Thanks for the help! 

Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:10 AM
  • Hi,

It’s a great effort.

Glad to hear that you have found a solution and thank you for sharing it here, it will be helpful to other community members who have same questions.

Best regards,

Carl

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:38 AM
  • Thank you, that fixed me up as well.
    Wednesday, November 22, 2017 12:57 PM
  • Fabulous. This has been driving me nuts for 4 hours! Uninstalled Checkpoint and Bingo! Thank you very much for sharing this.

(My CheckPoint and other VPNs had also all been working fine for months. Then, after the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and KB4048955 - don't know which - my Ethernet went and my WiFi started acting strange (wouldn't connect to other VPNs - said there was a modem error). I did a Windows network reset and lost my WiFi too. Could not update drivers, Windows said it wasn't there etc...)

• Edited by PeterM777 Thursday, November 23, 2017 1:10 AM
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 1:04 AM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I waisted hours and hours and hours till I found your message. 

I had Checkpoint installed and all it took was to uninstall it.

Which was just as well as I do not need it anymore.

The best to you !!!!

Saturday, November 25, 2017 5:09 AM
  • Thank You so much. This works. It worked me all well after uninstalling CheckPoint.

Monday, November 27, 2017 9:37 AM
  • Totally worked for us!!! Had a employee with the same issues this morning, thought I was going to have to do a windows repair etc. You saved me a lot of work!!!! Much appreciated!!!
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 7:17 AM
  • THANK-YOU SO MUCH.  Windows did updates to my laptop and all of a sudden all the network adapters (wifi, Bluetooth, and Ethernet) no longer worked.  I had even uninstalled the updates hoping that it would fix the problem, but of course, it did not.  Found this response and it fixed everything.  Thanks again for your help!

Monday, December 11, 2017 3:10 AM
  • Solved after I found this answer!

After Windows 10 update, my network card hadn't working anymore. I have lost almost entire working day trying to found a solution, until I read this.

Thanks!

Monday, December 11, 2017 3:11 PM
  • Worked for me as well.   Thank you !
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:10 AM
  • Thanks for sharing this, much appreciated!
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 12:28 PM
  • thanks!!! it solve my problem
    Friday, December 22, 2017 6:12 AM
  • Even I faced the same issue after windows updates were installed on my windows10 laptop. Uninstalling Checkpoint VPN resolved the issue.
    Friday, December 22, 2017 2:47 PM
  • Thank you, that worked.
    Sunday, December 24, 2017 3:29 AM
  • Thank you so much!!! Uninstalling Checkpoint VPN solved the problem!!
    Thursday, December 28, 2017 2:39 PM
  • I do not have CheckPoint VPN, but I have OpenVPN installed. I did un-install the OpenVPN. However, the issue is still exist. Is there anyone have the same issue resolved? Any assistance is appreciated. 
    Monday, January 1, 2018 7:41 PM
  • I had the same problem after the latest windows update.

I uninstalled Checkpoint ZoneAlarm Security and all of the failing adaptors came good.  The one I wanted was for my TomTom GPS (Remote NDIS Compatible Device).  Simply turning off ZoneAlarm did not work for me.

I reinstalled ZoneAlarm and my PC was back to normal - until next time.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 7:06 AM
  • I had the exact same symptoms.  Only the CheckPoint VPN client was visible, and my network card displayed the (Code 56) error.  I did as you suggested and uninstalled the Check Point VPN Network adapter device.  Rebooted my system, and my network operations were restored.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 9:02 PM
  • THANK YOU!!!   This was absolutely driving me nuts!!  Stupid Checkpoint VPN!!

Friday, January 12, 2018 6:50 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem: not only all my adapters went away, they do not appear in the list of adapters in the Network Connections ...

I uninstall the only VPN I knew of or close to a VPN which is VMWARE horizon client. Restart the computer. Didn't do the job. I tried to reset the network, did not solve the problem.

I also uninstalled the Intel Proset/Wireless application with no better results.

I have error 0x8007025d when I try a system restore point, as if some of the resources are locked.

It seems that, nowadays, everybody needs to be IT in order to have a computer ... This is not right.

My next steps seem to be:

- go to hp and reinstall the latest drivers a see if that fixes the problem

- go to the bios, disable securedBoot and see if that let this network adapters back

I also noticed that the wifi driver has no issue but I do not see it at all, as if it was disabled. I am kind of desesperate right now ... just because of an update

Post Scriptum: I do not think I have checkpoint VPN client so any suggestion on how to make sure is welcome.

One more thing: I actually tried to connect an Ethernet cable using a USB2Ethernet adapter to get some network. It does not work either. It seems that this updates simply disabled network in my BIOS/UEFI settings.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:24 AM
  • To everyone, I review the registry and surprise! CISCO VPN client and VMWare horizon client were still referenced there but more importantly there were some dll still there. It seems that those applications do not uninstall properly. Anyway, after cleaning the registry and the directories that were pointed out, all network controllers came back. 
    Sunday, January 21, 2018 9:16 PM
  • Thank you so much for this solution.  It solved my problem immediately.  I have had this problem with Windows 10 updates, and once every few days a forced update disables most drivers, particularly my Wireless and Ethernet.  I had tried everything, including editing the registry and still updates were enforced, and consequences repeated.  

I ended up uninstalling Checkpoint, followed by restart, and then reinstalling checkpoint.

Friday, February 2, 2018 12:29 PM
  • Thx a lot for your answer.

I have searched for the reason and solution all around the Chinese internet for two day,but get nothing except reinstall the whole system..

Saturday, February 3, 2018 5:27 AM
  • This did it for me too. Thanks for your help.

When I checked in device manager all network adapters were present. However, they all reported Code 56 except the Check Point Virtual Network Adapter, which reported as fine. :)

I wrote it up with a credit back to this forum thread.

https://supertekboy.com/2018/02/17/all-network-connections-broken-windows-10-fall-creators-update/

Practical help for Exchange & Office 365 - SuperTekBoy | Twitter | LinkedIn

Sunday, February 18, 2018 5:45 PM
  • I have spent months trying to fix this always having to revert back to an earlier version. Finally, today, I see your post. I uninstalled this and waahlaa! Success. Thank you very much, sir. Your post saved me much more time and frustration. Thank you! 
    Saturday, March 24, 2018 7:42 PM
  • Thank you sir! Burned 2 hours trying to solve. I’m running On a Lenovo machine with Nord VPN. After software update Ethernet lost but wireless available. Uninstalled Nord VPN client, Nord VPN adapter and the Ethernet adapter, then restarted and everything was back to normal. Now I have to go play with seeing if the VPN client can reinstall without conflict.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 2:45 AM

I cannot thank you enough for this solution. I should have guessed that checkpoint VPN was the issue. On every upgrade there seems to be an issue with this vpn client

• Edited by viper151 Wednesday, April 25, 2018 9:31 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 9:30 AM
  • I have the same issues.  Had to start with a fresh install.  Happened again last week with an update.  I do have checkpoint vpn, but the system says it's not there to delete.  it appears in my applications and programs, but will not uninstall.  any ideas welcome.  I really don't want to buy another laptop every time windows updates.  last time it was costly fix.   Please help?

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 11:17 PM
  • how do you review the registry??
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 11:37 PM
  • in the start menu, type regedit

you need to have administrator priviledges and full admin account is preferred.

Then, you search for the programs that you "uninstall" and clean the registry

Also, sometimes the entry will give you a value like a path to a dll. Check the path as well. And remove it.

This is what solved my issue. There was a path with only that dll. Once I deleted the directory and the dll, everything start working great.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 12:06 AM
  • I have the same issues.  Had to start with a fresh install.  Happened again last week with an update.  I do have checkpoint vpn, but the system says it's not there to delete.  it appears in my applications and programs, but will not uninstall.  any ideas welcome.  I really don't want to buy another laptop every time windows updates.  last time it was costly fix.   Please help?

please see above. If the program does not want to uninstall:

- open explorer 

- from start menu, type regedit (windows should show you a unique entry call registry editor). Run it as full administrator

- in this registry editor, type F3 (search).

- in the popup window, type the name of the program that you want to uninstall (or part of it) and select "keys", "Values", "data" then click on find next

- for each entry (and they can be a lot) review the key and look at the value.

- delete those that make sense, and delete the directories as well.

if you want to play safe, you can search for the pointing on the directories that you are deleting. like searching for C:\Program Files\<software> or just <software> and delete them all.

that should do the trick. This is basically what windows uninstall does: delete the files and clean the registry from the entries the installer create. But most of the uninstaller do a poor job on the later. 

Thursday, May 17, 2018 12:15 AM
  • I have the same problem,

tried all of the above and nothing seems to work, on the regedit i cannot delte any files ...??
    Monday, May 21, 2018 8:41 PM
  • You do not delete file from regedit. You remove entries. Some on the entries will have a path as value. You need to delete those in explorer. 

Also, in order to be able to edit the registry, because this can break lot of things, you need to be admin 

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 2:32 AM
    Thanks very much!! this solved all network adapters issues 
    Monday, May 28, 2018 1:32 PM
    omg , I swear I love you without knowing you! your comment has helped me too much, it seemed crazy looking how to solve this issue and uninstall the checkpoint and everything is fixed

Thank you so much!!!!
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 12:05 AM
  • Really helpful. thanks for saving the day - u r a superhero!! :) 
    Sunday, June 17, 2018 4:22 PM
  • Cheers Mate, this solved the problem with a Dell Latitude notebook using a Dell WD15 USB-C Dock.

Interestingly I did not even need to uninstall Checkpoint, I just initialized the drive decryption it does before uninstalling and rebooted. The network adapter immediately showed up while the decryption was still at 0%.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 2:12 PM
  • I have the exact same problem but I don’t have a vpn installed. Or I already had a couple installed but when I uninstalled them it still has the same error pls help!
    Saturday, July 14, 2018 4:41 PM
  • Thank you! Fixed my issue
    Wednesday, July 18, 2018 10:34 AM
  • I can't believe it - this did the trick!!! My issue appeared after the latest Windows 10. My VPNs stopped working. I've spent countless hours reading forums and trying different things. 

Once I uninstalled Checkpoint VPN and restarted, all the Wan Miniport adapters installed and was able to install Sonicwall and Anyconnect again. 

Thanks for sharing! This was a huge help. :-)

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 2:56 AM
  • It happen to me as described. Once I uninstall the Checkpoint VPN client, everything ok.
    Thursday, August 23, 2018 3:51 PM