Win7 boot up speed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have recently downloaded the Windows 7 Beta and have successfully installed it on my 2GHz/2GB RAM Macbook (no booing...I am both a Mac and a PC) under VirtualBox virtualization (as my screen name implies). I also have Windows XP SP3 loaded up under virtualization as well. My main gripe with Win 7 is that it takes far too long to boot up when supposedly it should be faster at booting up/shutting down than any previous version of Windows. Actually, it does shutdown at about the same rate as XP so it's on par with that. 

To put this into comparison, Windows XP, under virtualization boots up in under 30 seconds. This is blazingly fast for me as any PC I've loaded Windows XP on natively takes nearly a minute to boot up...even a fresh install. This is almost quicker than Mac OSX which has rarely ever taken more than 30 seconds to boot up. Windows 7 takes nearly 2-3 minutes to boot up. It boots into the black screen...then the Microsoft copywrite stuff appears at the bottom...then, after a while, "Starting Windows" appears above it...then after nearly a minute the glowing windows logo appears...then another minute later it loads up the login screen. Altogether it seems to take about 3 minutes from starting the virtual machine to getting to the login screen. Like I said with XP though, I start the virtual machine and, with hardly any wait at all, I'm fully booted into Windows.

Once the system has booted up though, it runs quite well. In fact, it uses up less CPU under virtualization than XP does. XP takes up nearly half the processor power to run OSX>VirtualBox>WinXP. Win 7, by comparison, only takes up maybe a fraction of that even when doing something processor intensive.

So, to sum things up...XP loads up like lightning but uses tons of processor power whereas 7 loads up like molasses, but uses far less in terms of processing power. 

So after all that...should Windows 7 really take this long to load? Sorry if my grammar is terrible. It's late and I should be sleeping, but like the troubleshooting glutton for punishment that I am, I'm up trying to figure this out.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:03 AM

Answers

• i'm not running a VM, but a physical install.  on my x2 3800+ 3gb ram it takes ~15secs to the login screen and ~10 more secs to a usable desktop.  a little faster than xp, although my xp install has a lot more stuff on it (apache. mysql, IIS, sql server, etc).

considering w7 has a bigger code base it's impressive.  obviously MS has worked a lot on bootup time.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 3:23 PM

All replies

• i'm not running a VM, but a physical install.  on my x2 3800+ 3gb ram it takes ~15secs to the login screen and ~10 more secs to a usable desktop.  a little faster than xp, although my xp install has a lot more stuff on it (apache. mysql, IIS, sql server, etc).

considering w7 has a bigger code base it's impressive.  obviously MS has worked a lot on bootup time.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 3:23 PM
  • it used to boot fast but now is slow after install/uninstall of software.

You know what will be nice..

if you try to delete a shortcut it should prompt with question, to uninstall that application. 
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:50 PM