Compatibility With Power Builder 5.0 With Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I am a power builder 5.0 developer. Providing support & maintenance to various application which was develop using power builder 5.0 and oracle 8i. But few days before i am facing some problem (unable to connect to OLE object), the application work fine with XP operating system but when i am going to implement those application in windows 7 environment it create so many problem even i am not able to install the power builder 5.0 in windows 7 machine. I have some questions please help me.

1. Power Builder 5.0 is compatible with windows 7 ?

2. Is it possible to overcome the problem which is happening power builder 5.0 application in windows 7 environment ?

3. To overcome this short of problem  need to migrate the Power builder version ?

Please help me.

Thanks & e-Regrads 

Avishek

When i am going to install power builder 5 in windows 7 environment system through PPO error, please help me

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• PowerBuilder 5 is a VERY OLD program and is not compatible with Windows 7.  You need to contact Sybase for Support: http://www.sybase.com/products/modelingdevelopment/powerbuilder

See info @

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?l=en-us&type=Software&s=PowerBuilder&os=32-bit

and

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?l=en-us&type=Software&s=PowerBuilder&os=64-bit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, August 4, 2011 6:41 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Many many thanks for the above suggestion the links will help me lot. But please give me any link of Microsoft site where clearly mention that Power Builder 5.0 is not compatible with Windows 7 and clearly mention the errors if some one run the power builder 5.0 executable  in windows 7 environment because power builder 5.0 is running in the windows 7 environment but in some portion of code it will generate error. So i have to identify the area of incompatibility if some one continue with this environment will it create junk data. Please help me the document is required.

Thanks

Avishek

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:13 PM
  • The information at the 2 links to Windows Compatibility is the only information I found about PowerBuilder.

You will have to talk to the Sybase Technical Support for information about exactly why PowerBuilder 5.0 is not compatible with Windows 7 and exactly what in the PowerBuilder 5.0 code causes the problem.  This not informaion that would be published by Microsoft.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:50 PM
  • Thanks Rick for help.

Regards

Avishek

Thursday, August 4, 2011 5:10 AM
  • I have similar issues.  I have narrowed mine down to PowerBuilder app not being able to access Registry values with RegistryGet.  No errors are returned, but no values either.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:19 PM