Exchange Distribution List (DL) & Mail Contact Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are in progress of Migrating of our existing Exchange server from 2007 to 2013. Right now first part of migration is completed. Now we are in progress of migrating the users mailboxes from 2007 to 2013 server, hence we do have both servers on production as coexist (exchange 2007 & exchange 2013).

In my exchange 2007 server we have many DL's and Mail Contact which was created already. I do want to know, Whether I have to migrated the Distribution List (DL) & Mail Contact manually to my new exchange 2013 or will it automatically get migrated to new one from old exchange 2007 ?

If I need to migrate all the DL's and Mail Contacts manually to my new exchange 2013, please let me know, best and easy practice to do this process.

Thanks

Thanks

Monday, May 9, 2016 6:27 PM

Answers

• Distribution groups and mail contacts are directory objects and no migration is necessary.  At some point before you remove your Exchange 2007 servers, you'll probably want to upgrade your groups and contacts to Exchange 2013, which stamps them with any new attributes and prevents future editing with Exchange 2007 (or 2010) tools.

You could do it as simply as this:

Get-DistributionGroup -ResultSize Unlimited | Set-DistributionGroup -ForceUpgrade
    Get-MailContact -ResultSize Unlimited | Set-MailContact -ForceUpgrade

See this article about modifying groups with multiple owners.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/microsoft_exchange_tips/2013/11/07/upgrading-distribution-groups-with-multiple-owners-to-exchange-2013/

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Tuesday, May 10, 2016 10:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niko.Cheng Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:11 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2016 9:48 PM

All replies

• Distribution groups and mail contacts are directory objects and no migration is necessary.  At some point before you remove your Exchange 2007 servers, you'll probably want to upgrade your groups and contacts to Exchange 2013, which stamps them with any new attributes and prevents future editing with Exchange 2007 (or 2010) tools.

You could do it as simply as this:

Get-DistributionGroup -ResultSize Unlimited | Set-DistributionGroup -ForceUpgrade
    Get-MailContact -ResultSize Unlimited | Set-MailContact -ForceUpgrade

See this article about modifying groups with multiple owners.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/microsoft_exchange_tips/2013/11/07/upgrading-distribution-groups-with-multiple-owners-to-exchange-2013/

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Tuesday, May 10, 2016 10:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niko.Cheng Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:11 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2016 9:48 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the update.

I have tried upgrading one of the DL, it went fine. And i can see the version upgrade.

Please let me know, Is that the same way i have follow to upgrade the "Security Group" also with the same command ?

Also please let me know, how about the "Dynamic Distribution List".

Thanks

Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:19 AM
  • Only mail-enabled groups need to be upgraded, whether they be security or distribution groups.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:57 AM
  • Hi,

I have upgraded the "Distribution Group" to the version 0.10(14.0.100.0) from 0.1(8.0.535.0). I can able to do all updates/changes in all distribution groups without any issue.

unfortunately, when i trying to update any changes(like adding & removing users) in Security Group, i am getting below error message. I am trying to do this changes/Update on EAC. But using the exact same administrative account, I was able to perform this task in Active Directory.

Issue in Updating Security Group through EAC. Error message as below.

Error Message :You don't have sufficient permissions. This operation can only be performed by a manager of the group.

All the security group or not mail-enabled group, even this also been upgraded to the version 0.10(14.0.100.0).

Can someone help me to sort out this issue.

Thanks

Friday, June 10, 2016 6:04 PM
  • Hi

Have you had any luck with this yet?

Do you know what version the distribution groups will be once upgraded via the Exchange 2013 management shell?

Thanks

Ben

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 8:19 PM
  • I've run into this before.  This should help you.

https://theucguy.net/customizing-default-role-assignment/

Thursday, June 23, 2016 1:25 AM
  • Once upgraded the DL new version is 0.10(14.0.100.0).

Thanks

Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:35 PM
  • Sorry, above URL was not up to my issue.

My issue is with Security Group only. Not able to update any changes(like adding & removing users) in Security Group.

Error Message :You don't have sufficient permissions. This operation can only be performed by a manager of the group.

Thanks

Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:40 PM
  • Use PowerShell and add the -BypassSecurityGroupManagerCheck switch.

Friday, June 24, 2016 12:09 AM
  • Hi,

I have used the below command to upgrade. So it has upgrade all the Distribution Groups and Security Group.

I don't have any issue with distribution groups after upgrading, but not able to update any changes in Security Group(like adding & removing users). If i trying to do any update, i am getting above error message(above screenshot). Need help to resolve this issue with security group.

Get-DistributionGroup -ResultSize Unlimited | Set-DistributionGroup -ForceUpgrade

Thanks

Friday, June 24, 2016 5:55 PM

• Add yourself as a manager to all groups.

Get-DistributionGroup -ResultSize Unlimited | Set-DistributionGroup -BypassSecurityGroupManagerCheck -ManagedBy @{add="Your Name"}

Friday, June 24, 2016 8:19 PM