KB3156387 (TH1) and KB3156421 (TH2) May Cumulative Updates - Any feedback? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

It’s Patch Tuesday again! As I’ve done for the past couple of months, I’m reaching out to see if there is any significant feedback on this month’s release. If you see/hear anything, can you let me know?

I have to admit that I did get overwhelmed with the sheer volume of feedback I received across the various channels last month, and I want to apologize for not following up properly on some of the things that came up. I’ve gotten a little more organized now, so while this project is still a work in progress, I’m hoping that I do a better job of keeping up and responding this time.

One thing I noticed was that the bulk of the problems surfaced very quickly, i.e. in the first few days after the release. To try to optimize the engineering efforts on this end, I want to focus on identifying the problems and gathering data (log files, as always, and maybe some other diagnostic information) and then shift focus to hard-core trouble-shooting once we get enough data to make sense of the problems. That means I’m going to try to be ultra-present this week, but probably stepping back and refocusing my efforts next week.

So if you’ve got issues, let’s get to work. J

The two top issues from last month were performance issues after install of the update, and update fails and uninstalls. I’ve proactively started separate threads for those two subjects:

Performance problems: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4b316dd4-1ef1-4e77-8407-f52e6e4678bf/kb3156421-computer-is-slow-after-installing-latest-cumulative-update?forum=win10itprogeneral

Update fails and uninstalls: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ffe77e1c-1c92-4ed2-bf3d-bc0cd0867b78/kb3156421-spinning-dots-after-installing-the-update-computer-either-hangs-or-uninstalls-the?forum=win10itprogeneral

If you’re seeing one of these problems, please jump in on the appropriate thread. If you’re seeing something new though, bring it here and let’s have a look at it.

Thanks, as always, for your help!

John Wink [MSFT]

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 5:22 PM

All replies

• I have far too many clients with windows 10 and damn slow internet, and it causes major issues with busines.

it really would be very nice to find a easy to download total cumulated update package - so i can [lace on a USB then update them.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 5:50 PM
  • I have far too many clients with windows 10 and damn slow internet, and it causes major issues with busines.

it really would be very nice to find a easy to download total cumulated update package - so i can [lace on a USB then update them.

Ask and you shall receive. :-)

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

• Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:18 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 6:01 PM
  • KB3156387 is supposed to replace KB3147461.  However after installing KB3156387, WSUS still wants to push out KB3147461.

KB3147461 is not marked as superseded.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:34 AM
  • I did not get KB3156387 (or KB3147461).

Did get KB3156421 and 4 others.

What is (TH1) and (TH2) ?

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:26 AM
  • I have uploaded the CBS Logs on the Onedrive. Can someone please look and advise on the root cause of the issue with updates
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 8:46 AM
  • I've tried to install cumulative update KB3156421. Same problem as before with the cumulative update KB3147458 and those before. It's hard to believe that Microsoft cannot solve this problem, but it is real.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 10:18 AM
  • I did not get KB3156387 (or KB3147461).

Did get KB3156421 and 4 others.

What is (TH1) and (TH2) ?

TH1 s the original release version of Windows 10 (build 10240). TH2 is the November 2015 upgrade which is build 10586 (also called version1511 to add to the confusion).

Bill

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 10:32 AM
  • I couldn't install the past cumulative updates on my PC (rollback) contrary to my 2 notebooks where the installation was no problem. With KB3156421 things are going better. I couldn't install this update on my PC and on one of my notebooks. It did install only on one notebook. I suppose the June cumulative update will not run on all my machines.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:24 PM
  • John,

We are really struggling with these last 2 CU for Windows 10 (3147461, 3156387), both on separate PCs with Win10 32/64b installations.  We have done everything we found to get these updates installed, and still they fail with error 0x80070005).  Please advise on the next steps and if you need CBS logs uploaded (I tried sifting through them, but I couldn't find anything useful.

Best regards,

rexhepi333@hotmail.com

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:04 PM
  • John,

We are really struggling with these last 2 CU for Windows 10 (3147461, 3156387), both on separate PCs with Win10 32/64b installations.  We have done everything we found to get these updates installed, and still they fail with error 0x80070005).  Please advise on the next steps and if you need CBS logs uploaded (I tried sifting through them, but I couldn't find anything useful.

Best regards,

rexhepi333@hotmail.com

That's essentially an Access Denied error. Send me a set of logs and I'll take a look? And could you name it netspeed.zip? Lots of people are uploading files called CBS.zip and I have no way of figuring which belongs to whom. Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:20 PM
  • John,

Thank you kindly for your timely reply.  The log file is uploaded as you requested.  I looked into permissions in the registry (mentioned in other posts) - every thing looked OK.  I did try the offline installer for KB3147461 - no difference, but haven't tried the same for KB3156387.

Best regards,

NetSpeed

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:36 PM
  • John,

Please let me know if you need anything else.  We really want to keep current with Windows Updates and resolve any issues that we might encounter.  Please reply.

Best regards,

NetSpeed

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 10:05 PM
  • This update (KB3156387) is failing to install just as KB3147461 was. During reboot, it rolls back. I even performed a reset on the computer and got the same results.

"MC"

• Edited by Tobore Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:08 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:08 PM
  • I am getting exactly the same issue with KB3156387.  It attempts to install 20%, 30%  etc it and then reverts back saying rolling back and unable to.  I really don't know how it will be fix.  This is a relatively new Laptop Toshiba Flex.  Ironically my old laptop Acer went fine with the upgrade.  

Does anyone know of the solution?  What is Microsoft doing to resolve.  I thought I was the only one, but looks like there could 1,000's of people with the same scenario.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 4:59 PM
  • John,

Were able to find the specific file/folder/registry key that caused the Access Denied error?  I really need to get past this and prepare for the future Anniversary Update.

Best regards,

rexhepi333@hotmail.com

Thursday, May 12, 2016 5:37 PM
  • John,

Were able to find the specific file/folder/registry key that caused the Access Denied error?  I really need to get past this and prepare for the future Anniversary Update.

Best regards,

rexhepi333@hotmail.com

Have you done something to forcibly disable your USB ports?
    • Proposed as answer by NetSpeed Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:05 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:11 PM
  • John,

Amazing! This was/is the solution - for our situation.  The KB3156387 installed without error.  Do you have a suggestion on how to otherwise disable mass storage devices without modifying registry keys and permissions?

Best regards,

NetSpeed

Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:01 PM
  • John,

Amazing! This was/is the solution - for our situation.  The KB3156387 installed without error.  Do you have a suggestion on how to otherwise disable mass storage devices without modifying registry keys and permissions?

Best regards,

NetSpeed

Try this...

In gpedit go to User Configuration - Administrative Templates - System - Removeable Storage Access. The two entries for WPD Devices are (if I recall correctly) the ones you're after. Hope this helps!

Friday, May 13, 2016 2:32 PM
  • OK. Not sure if this is the answer or not. I have tried so many things in the last few days. However, I finally got the update to go in.   Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure the exact solution.   Anyway, I was logged into the domain as a domain admin.   I decided to try and see if I could get the update to work by logging out and then logging back in as local admin instead.   When I ran the stand-alone update for KB3147461, it went all the way this time.     I was also in "cleanboot" state and I had disabled the policy and paused protection of my Kaspersky software.   3 days of troubleshooting.  Argh.  At least it's in now.   Hope this helps someone.

"MC"

Friday, May 13, 2016 7:37 PM
  • Hey folks, a quick note... I'm going to be offline for a few days for a family engagement, but my colleague Stephanie Anderl will be around while I'm absent.

Many thanks!

John Wink [MSFT]

Friday, May 13, 2016 8:13 PM
  • I see this behavior on 2 PCs, a 3rd never managed to install the upgrade to Windows 10 at all (but is still nagging, despite of 3 automated rollbacks).

Each of the last three or four cumulative upgrades started to download on my two Windows 10 PCs, but never completed (hanging forever at a certain percentage). This also blocks the installation of other critical updates, which are downloaded successfully. It is also not a matter of line speed, otherwise a manual download of the KBs would also go to strike.

Deleting the software distribution folder usually starts the download again and it will stop again at the same or a different percentage.

Both affected machines have been upgraded from earlier Windows versions. Could there be some timeout value herited?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, May 14, 2016 8:36 AM
  • KB3156421 on Windows 10 causes boot sector not found when restarting. Now I have to restore PC and hide this update.
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 2:30 PM
  • Getting the same ... "problem installing some updates" ... as before w KB3147458 (which I believe this replaced per MSFT) w the same error message.  "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3156421) - Error 0x800703f1"

Does not look like this solve the issue(s) for some users? 

Saturday, May 14, 2016 7:36 PM
  • I have several responses - between here and your other post.

I have issues and would really appreciate knowing that I can use my computer without BSODs and scary Event Viewer  ERRORS before I get up very early tomorrow and begin work.

Still receiving BSOD after hiding update.   How do I stop this?

Thank you.

Sunday, May 15, 2016 4:29 PM
  • John,

I am still getting the BSOD shutdown.  As opposed to Saturday, there is no longer a vague reason listed.  Just the smiley face and "Your PC has to restart," or whatever the language is. 

Update Windows license and product key tokens failed with 0x80070005.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\oem\asustek computer inc[1]-100741.xrm-ms

If I try to install the updates, and successfully install them, should this nonsense stop - or will I cause more problems for myself?  I hid the updates, so I think I've run out of options.

-- Cannot conduct business this way.

Thank you.

Monday, May 16, 2016 2:34 PM
  • I see this behavior on 2 PCs, a 3rd never managed to install the upgrade to Windows 10 at all (but is still nagging, despite of 3 automated rollbacks).

Each of the last three or four cumulative upgrades started to download on my two Windows 10 PCs, but never completed (hanging forever at a certain percentage). This also blocks the installation of other critical updates, which are downloaded successfully. It is also not a matter of line speed, otherwise a manual download of the KBs would also go to strike.

Deleting the software distribution folder usually starts the download again and it will stop again at the same or a different percentage.

Both affected machines have been upgraded from earlier Windows versions. Could there be some timeout value herited?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Hi Olaf,

John has another thread on this issue. You can find it here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ffe77e1c-1c92-4ed2-bf3d-bc0cd0867b78/kb3156421-spinning-dots-after-installing-the-update-computer-either-hangs-or-uninstalls-the?forum=win10itprogeneral

This post has information on how to collect CBS logs, where to upload them and how to resolve the issue where the update hangs.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Monday, May 16, 2016 5:59 PM
  • John,

I am still getting the BSOD shutdown.  As opposed to Saturday, there is no longer a vague reason listed.  Just the smiley face and "Your PC has to restart," or whatever the language is. 

Update Windows license and product key tokens failed with 0x80070005.

If I try to install the updates, and successfully install them, should this nonsense stop - or will I cause more problems for myself?  I hid the updates, so I think I've run out of options.

-- Cannot conduct business this way.

Thank you.

Hi Noah881,

Since you have already hidden the update, it doesn't look like this is update related. It's probably best if you reach out to our support team directly. You can reach them through: https://support.microsoft.com.

Thanks,

Stephanie Anderl [MSFT]

Monday, May 16, 2016 7:48 PM
  • Stephanie,

If an issue starts immediately after an update, it is no doubt an update-related issue.  I sent my CBS file to John's OneDrive account, so I would like a second opinion, if you don't mind. 

I had a third BSOD shut down after I posted my last response.  There are NO SOLUTIONS for the KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE message, so going to support is not going to be useful. 

Thank you.

• Edited by Noah881 Tuesday, May 17, 2016 1:17 PM Necessary change.
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 1:23 AM
  • John,

Stephanie dismissed my issue yesterday because she doesn't think it's CU related. I do.

I uploaded my CBS file yesterday (Joshua88).  Will you please check it?   There are no other solutions.

I am on day four of BSODs and KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.

Thank you.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:17 PM
  • Stephanie,

If an issue starts immediately after an update, it is no doubt an update-related issue.  I sent my CBS file to John's OneDrive account, so I would like a second opinion, if you don't mind. 

I had a third BSOD shut down after I posted my last response.  There are NO SOLUTIONS for the KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE message, so going to support is not going to be useful. 

Thank you.

I apologize that it seemed I dismissed your issue. I misunderstood your issue. From your first post, I mistakenly thought that you had blocked the update, so it had not applied, and you were still seeing the BSOD. I will take a look at your logs. One thing you can try, is to boot into safe mode and uninstall the update. Please let me know if you still see the BSOD after you uninstall the update.

Thanks,

Stephanie Anderl [MSFT]

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:33 AM
  • Stephanie,

I just found your response - I don't know why I was not notified that I got an answer - I've been waiting for some kind of recognition since Saturday (in total). 

I will do as you suggested and get back to you.

Thank you.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 3:02 PM
  • Stephanie,

I just found your response - I don't know why I was not notified that I got an answer - I've been waiting for some kind of recognition since Saturday (in total). 

I will do as you suggested and get back to you.

Thank you.

Hi Noah881,

I looked at your logs and it appears that the update failed and rolled back. You mentioned before that you hid the update, so your computer should not be trying to install the update, is this correct? Can you tell me more about what you have been seeing. When do you see the KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE message, on the BSOD screen, event logs? Were any drivers or apps recently installed around the same time as the update? 

Thanks,

Stephanie Anderl [MSFT]

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 8:53 PM
  • Stephanie,

On the 14th, the first day the update was installed, that's exactly what happened. As of today, I've probably had 14 BSODs.  The last four occurred when I was in outlook (mail, not office) and clicked on an email.  Without the tab opening, the blue screen error appeared.  Kernel Failure is the message, no code #.  There is no restart function  - I wait for the bar to fill to 100% and then hit off/on button.  Since it's not reversing the CU, it moves more quickly.

The event logs have been consistent.  Most of the errors are "Update Windows license and product key tokens failed with 0x80070005." I realize the error code can be vague, but most answers point to updates being the culprit.  With that in mind, this is where you came in.  I said if I hid the update, why am I still getting this error in event log?

After the crash, during troubleshooting, I ran my Driver program.  Around the time of the update, no drivers or programs were installed.  I run weekly image and other scans on Friday - it's cleanup day, and the updates installed on Saturday, when I do not work.

Last night, I went to Mozilla forum.  Per Fred's suggestion,  I went into Safe Mode and still got the Blue Screen - Kernel Failure message, but my computer was up about 5 - 10 minutes longer after clicking on the same email in outlook (mail) as the other three times this happened.  So we know it's not Firefox or addons.

As far as your instructions - wow, what a chore.  It took forever to find the Cumulative Update for downloading. It failed - I tried to download the x32 and x64 versions, but they all failed - 3 attempts.    I'm sorry, I forgot to save that error message, but it was innocuous.  In IE still, I then ran their troubleshooter, which couldn't detect the issue.  When I ran WUSHOWHIDE in Safe Mode, there was no update. 

Coming out of safe mode, event viewer showed the same error: Update Windows license and product key tokens failed with 0x80070005.  Nine Security - SPP errors of 11.   One new - "search service has detected corrupted data files in the index {id=4810 - base\appmodel\search\search\ytrip\tripoli\inverted\decodinglayer.cpp (478)}. The service will attempt to automatically correct this problem by rebuilding the index."  Advance Total Care should fix that if it's not already fixed (I'm good but do not have a sophisticated level of knowledge about technology.)

You might want to read my posts since Saturday morning.  Ignore the sniping and look for better real-time reporting.

Next?

Thank you.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 12:48 AM
  • Stephanie,

There is a misunderstanding - and I can't believe I read it wrong, but I need you with me on this until you acknowledge defeat.  I also have about 15 years of dealing with Windows Updates wreaking all sorts of havoc on my computers - and only when it's not attributable to anything else.  I run a business and am extremely responsible and safe/cautious/secure.  It's never coincidence after an update - that's too convenient.   Do you disagree?

I did hide my update, but the event logs and ongoing blue screen shutdowns/errors seem to indicate that they weren't hidden particularly well and were/are still causing problems.  I understand that event log numbers can be interpreted many ways, but I was going by consensus that pointed to Win Updates failing, not authentication issues.  

Event logs no longer show Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0922: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3156421). They have been replaced by Update Windows license and product key tokens failed with 0x80070005.  If you interpret that as something else, you are definitely on to something.

Thank you.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 12:58 AM
  • Stephanie,

There is a misunderstanding - and I can't believe I read it wrong, but I need you with me on this until you acknowledge defeat.  I also have about 15 years of dealing with Windows Updates wreaking all sorts of havoc on my computers - and only when it's not attributable to anything else.  I run a business and am extremely responsible and safe/cautious/secure.  It's never coincidence after an update - that's too convenient.   Do you disagree?

I did hide my update, but the event logs and ongoing blue screen shutdowns/errors seem to indicate that they weren't hidden particularly well and were/are still causing problems.  I understand that event log numbers can be interpreted many ways, but I was going by consensus that pointed to Win Updates failing, not authentication issues.  

Event logs no longer show Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0922: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3156421). They have been replaced by Update Windows license and product key tokens failed with 0x80070005.  If you interpret that as something else, you are definitely on to something.

Thank you.

Hi Noah881,

0x80070005 is an access denied error code. Are you using an administrator account? It appears that for some reason the system is not able to access the resources needed to install the update. I also saw this error code in your CBS logs. I will talk to my colleagues and see if I can find out more information.

Thanks,

Stephanie Anderl [MSFT]

Thursday, May 19, 2016 4:51 PM
  • Stephanie is anyone monitoring the reddit thread? https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4iqaig/kb3156421_computer_is_slow_after_installing/

I think there are a number of people looking for solutions. My computer keeps freezing up since this update. This is the second time I have had a laptop essentially get bricked after windows update. Seriously what is happening with this?

How does Microsoft not understand that this is unacceptable? 

Thursday, May 19, 2016 6:59 PM
  • Stephanie,

I am owner, user, administrator, etc.  I don't know how to answer your question, because I am the only person who uses this computer. 

Since Win10 was installed in late January, there have been a couple of programs that have never worked without issues. (We'll fix these things one day.)  Notepad, upon every restart, still shows an "Access is Denied" error with a yellow triangle.  Once the error pops up, my desktop is fully loaded.  I tried to fix permissions yesterday, actually, but every time I think I know where to go, I simply do not know enough on my own to fully fix it. 

I thought I discovered a possible cause of conflict.  Sometime before 6 this evening, I was thinking about composing a letter to you when the Blue Screen reappeared.  Early this morning, I deleted and then added Firefox into the firewall (allow a new app, I think).  While opening emails (in outlook/live mail), I proceeded  without any crashes this morning  - and again after work, for about an hour.   I clicked through mail (with new tabs opened) that previously led to an immediate BSOD. At 5.50, I had another crash.  Damn!  Event viewer showed the same error: "Update Windows license and product key tokens failed with 0x80070005."  Not in tonight's crash, but the last one - I lost my Password Editor again.  That is the second time - and the only other program affected, since Saturday.

I got more work done in my personal email account than I was able to accomplish since Saturday.  I wonder why.  I am trying to track down every last possible cause/but I am so far finding it impossible to find the confluence of events that cause my particular shutdown. 

Look forward to the next step.

Thank you. 

Friday, May 20, 2016 2:51 AM
  • Stephanie,

I am owner, user, administrator, etc.  I don't know how to answer your question, because I am the only person who uses this computer. 

Since Win10 was installed in late January, there have been a couple of programs that have never worked without issues. (We'll fix these things one day.)  Notepad, upon every restart, still shows an "Access is Denied" error with a yellow triangle.  Once the error pops up, my desktop is fully loaded.  I tried to fix permissions yesterday, actually, but every time I think I know where to go, I simply do not know enough on my own to fully fix it. 

I thought I discovered a possible cause of conflict.  Sometime before 6 this evening, I was thinking about composing a letter to you when the Blue Screen reappeared.  Early this morning, I deleted and then added Firefox into the firewall (allow a new app, I think).  While opening emails (in outlook/live mail), I proceeded  without any crashes this morning  - and again after work, for about an hour.   I clicked through mail (with new tabs opened) that previously led to an immediate BSOD. At 5.50, I had another crash.  Damn!  Event viewer showed the same error: "Update Windows license and product key tokens failed with 0x80070005."  Not in tonight's crash, but the last one - I lost my Password Editor again.  That is the second time - and the only other program affected, since Saturday.

I got more work done in my personal email account than I was able to accomplish since Saturday.  I wonder why.  I am trying to track down every last possible cause/but I am so far finding it impossible to find the confluence of events that cause my particular shutdown. 

Look forward to the next step.

Thank you. 

Have you used Push Button Reset or backup software on this computer?

Can you try running the following command in PowerShell?

Get-Acl c:\windows\system32\spp\store\2.0\cache | Set-Acl –path c:\windows\system32\spp\store\2.0\cache\cache.dat

Let me know if you are still seeing the "Update Windows license and product key tokens failed with 0x80070005" error.

Thanks,

Stephanie Ander [MSFT]

Friday, May 20, 2016 7:03 PM
  • Yes, thank you.
    Friday, May 20, 2016 7:10 PM
  • Stephanie,

Push button reset - you mean the button on my laptop?  I have a wired keyboard which is what I always use for typing, but as far as resetting the computer after blue screen -- I use the button.

I backup daily using Win7 Backup & Restore.  I always get errors (element not found- twice), but the system always backs up.  That has happened since upgrade to Win10.  I haven't restored, but it sure looks like it has been saving my .pst files.

I want to be clear that you know the Kernel Security message IS ON the blue screen.

I just used the same email that led to my blue screen this morning and sure enough  - BSOD.

Event viewer:Update Windows license and product key tokens failed with 0x80070005.

Was I supposed to see anything after entering your suggested text into PowerShell?  A response, a confirmation. anything? 

Thank you. You are welcome.

• Edited by Noah881 Friday, May 20, 2016 8:33 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 8:28 PM
  • I still have the spinning dots and then fail at the end of the Update process (it started a few monthes ago, and each month I hope that the solution is there)... something is different this time: even if the update fails, I have a notification telling that it's a success (but it's not).

I uploaded my CBS logs on OneDrive as CBS_PlopProut.zip

Friday, May 20, 2016 8:51 PM
  • Stephanie,

Push button reset - you mean the button on my laptop?  I have a wired keyboard which is what I always use for typing, but as far as resetting the computer after blue screen -- I use the button.

I backup daily using Win7 Backup & Restore.  I always get errors (element not found- twice), but the system always backs up.  That has happened since upgrade to Win10.  I haven't restored, but it sure looks like it has been saving my .pst files.

I want to be clear that you know the Kernel Security message IS ON the blue screen.

I just used the same email that led to my blue screen this morning and sure enough  - BSOD.

Event viewer:Update Windows license and product key tokens failed with 0x80070005.

Was I supposed to see anything after entering your suggested text into PowerShell?  A response, a confirmation. anything? 

Thank you. You are welcome.

By Push Button Reset, I mean the Reset this PC option in Settings, Update & Security, Recovery page. Did you ever try to reset this computer using Reset this PC?

It is expected that there is nothing returned when running the PowerShell command.

Is it possible for you to upload the crash dumps to the OneDrive?

Thanks,

Stephanie Anderl [MSFT]

Friday, May 20, 2016 9:16 PM
  • Stephanie,

I fixed the settings it so that it will restart.  Thanks for asking me about it, so that I checked it out.  The tech who upgraded me to Win10 probably should have set it like this, but we didn't finish.

Thank you for letting me know that I used PowerShell correctly.

Will find and upload dumps, shortly.   I'm going to send it to the cloud.   Under Joshua88 like the last one.   Having a much harder time than anticipated, 

Update:  Stephanie - Error at OneDrive, but I can't solve it.  I compressed to zip file and the message says, "Sorry, you don't have permission to add files to this folder."  Awaiting your instructions.

Update 2: I just collected another BSOD, so I will also have a minidump to add to the memory dump.  I'm done for tonight, though.  (As are you.)

Thank you.

• Edited by Noah881 Saturday, May 21, 2016 4:03 AM
    Saturday, May 21, 2016 12:14 AM
  • Stephanie/John,

Two zips were uploaded today - memory and minidumps.  Under Joshua88. 

It turns out that I have more logs/records than indicated by all earlier searches. Today was not the first time that I viewed hidden folders.  So, if you need more input, let me know.  I now have seven days of crashes/reports.

Thank you.

(Permissions are messed up beyond my patience today.  No exaggeration, it took me a few hours to create two dump zips for uploading.  I kept getting hangups with copying files and had to do one at a time, instead of permissions covering the entire file/folder. I'll deal with it asap, but is it possible that the entire permissions setup is defective/corrupted/incomplete since upgrade from Win10?   I know this is a separate issue, but if I have to create more logs that require admin rights, I will need to fix something.)

Saturday, May 21, 2016 6:39 PM
  • Stephanie/John,

Two zips were uploaded today - memory and minidumps.  Under Joshua88. 

It turns out that I have more logs/records than indicated by all earlier searches. Today was not the first time that I viewed hidden folders.  So, if you need more input, let me know.  I now have seven days of crashes/reports.

Thank you.

(Permissions are messed up beyond my patience today.  No exaggeration, it took me a few hours to create two dump zips for uploading.  I kept getting hangups with copying files and had to do one at a time, instead of permissions covering the entire file/folder. I'll deal with it asap, but is it possible that the entire permissions setup is defective/corrupted/incomplete since upgrade from Win10?   I know this is a separate issue, but if I have to create more logs that require admin rights, I will need to fix something.)

Thanks for providing your crash dumps. What happens if you use a different browser? Do you still see the BSODs? What anti-virus/anti-malware software do you use?

Thanks,

Stephanie Anderl [MSFT]

Monday, May 23, 2016 5:28 PM
  • Hi John,

I'm experiencing what's described here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/28da3f9b-3ca1-4c7c-8236-02c552f7e9e6/10010586306-version-of-d2d1dll-problem?forum=win10itprosetup

Any ideas?

Monday, May 23, 2016 7:59 PM
  • Stephanie,

You are welcome.  Hope you had a good weekend. 

Once I confirmed during Safe Mode - Firefox that I still got the BSOD, I didn't bother to test another browser.  I can't stand using IE (or Edge, which I uninstalled), so I avoid being aggravated.  Unless I wrote it down that I crashed in IE, I assume that it hasn't happened. 

I don't crash when I am any place other than personal email.  To be clearer, I can use Office Outlook (business) and I can open mail in other mail servers (Yahoo/webmail 1&1) and I can surf stores, newspapers, etc. in Firefox.  I only crash when in Firefox and outlook.com, and open new mail tabs there.

I use Defender and Advanced System Care.  I run Malwarebytes (Free). 

Are we making any progress at all?

Thank you. 

Monday, May 23, 2016 10:37 PM
  • Stephanie,

You are welcome.  Hope you had a good weekend. 

Once I confirmed during Safe Mode - Firefox that I still got the BSOD, I didn't bother to test another browser.  I can't stand using IE (or Edge, which I uninstalled), so I avoid being aggravated.  Unless I wrote it down that I crashed in IE, I assume that it hasn't happened. 

I don't crash when I am any place other than personal email.  To be clearer, I can use Office Outlook (business) and I can open mail in other mail servers (Yahoo/webmail 1&1) and I can surf stores, newspapers, etc. in Firefox.  I only crash when in Firefox and outlook.com, and open new mail tabs there.

I use Defender and Advanced System Care.  I run Malwarebytes (Free). 

Are we making any progress at all?

Thank you. 

Yes we are making progress. I have sent your logs and crash dumps to some of my colleagues for more investigation.

Could you also run the following commands in PowerShell and upload the SPPAcls.txt to the OneDrive?

Get-Acl C:\windows\system32\spp\store\2.0\* | Format-List >> $env:temp\SPPAcls.txt

Get-Acl C:\windows\system32\spp\store_test\2.0\* | Format-List >> $env:temp\SPPAcls.txt

Get-Acl -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\*" | Format-list >> $env:temp\SPPAcls.txt

Let me know if the first two commands fail as "Cannot Find Path."

Thanks,

Stephanie Anderl [MSFT]

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 6:01 PM
  • something new

I have finally seen the Dropbox = No Start Menu symptom and it is worse than that symptom description implies.   I have yet to try uninstalling it and re-installing it.  Simply disabling it using Task Manager and rebooting is enough to avoid the problem symptoms.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/windows-10-critical-error-start-menu-isnt-working/878cdf28-aae2-4b93-9dbf-aef0bc9ab0ea?page=16&msgId=bc00e4f3-1735-4632-9d42-2d6a2e205ba1

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this observation in that thread because I have never seen the message it is supposedly about (although discussion has diverged from the original topic, so with that I fit right in.   <eg>)

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 7:02 PM
  •  I had another BSOD this morning.  I couldn't imagine why restart took twenty minutes, until I read the screen.  Updates failed to install and was undoing the process. 

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0922: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3156421).  My logs showed that in a five hour period, I had 21 of these following errors -Update Windows license and product key tokens failed with 0x80070005. Why is it trying to hard and so often to install?  

In rehabilitating my computer, I learned through WUshowhide that this update was not hidden. Is there an expiration date on the function? Then I was getting security warnings because Defender wasn't on.  As it turns out, Defender wasn't even accessible.  (I checked it yesterday to answer your questions.)  The ON button is greyed out.  I checked each of the individual files/folders/updates, I ran sfc.exe.   It's in my files, and I think all files are complete, but I can't fix it.  **Neither can Microsoft - it has been an issue for at least three years without a solution.  After updates, as well.  WOW.

No matter what the independent test labs say, I wanted Defender back.  Running scannow determined my laptop to be in fantastic shape. How is that possible? At any rate, I just installed BitDefender and I am done fighting this side of the computer.   

Glad to hear we are making progress. It seems reasonable to think that I am dealing with more of the aftermath of the CU trying to install on my computer. Don't you agree?  If nothing else, these past ten days show the utter travesty of the decision by MS to take away OUR right to determine how and when to install our own updates.  If I have to be at the mercy of MS on a monthly basis, I'll start a riot.  Stephanie, I imagine that you are working with several people and issues, and I realize that I add things to the conversation that my not be relevant to solving my problem, but I would appreciate a response here.  Thank you.

I deal with your chores tonight. 

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 12:36 AM
  • Stephanie -

First command succeeded.

Second command failed as cannot find path.

Third command succeeded. 

I ran it three times. 

Same sequence, with the same result.  Posted results to OneDrive - see Joshua 88 GetAcl.  

Thank you.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 1:02 AM
  • something new

I have finally seen the Dropbox = No Start Menu symptom and it is worse than that symptom description implies. 

In fact, I think Dropbox may be a red herring, even after a boot.  So now Dropbox is uninstalled and I have still seen the No Start Menu symptom (which really is much more than just No Start Menu).  Then I remembered this thread, found RuntimeBroker at 65 threads, killed it and fixed the symptom.  Why all of a sudden is RuntimeBroker acting up?  I wish I hadn't had Dropbox involved in my symptom description but it does seem more than a little coincidental.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/runtimebrokerexe/ca5b9c02-e030-4f82-b51f-b991aa4a05b3 

OMG.  I just read some of my comments ("chasing locks").  Since concurrency may be a factor I just remembered that I plugged in my Ethernet USB converter while I was originally connected via Wi-Fi.  So I am now multi-homed.  And now checking with Get-NetConnectionProfile I see that I have also forgotten that I am now using MWDA for a second monitor for my Surface 2 Pro.  This also reminds me that I am now using Mouse Without Borders to share my wireless keyboard and mouse with my Surface RT.  More overhead.  So I think this was just waiting to happen in the environment I have created and my "Dropbox factor" was just an unfortunate coincidence that appeared when a "RuntimeBroker overflow" finally occurred.  At least now I will be better prepared when it happens again.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 5:08 AM
  •  a "RuntimeBroker overflow" finally occurred.

Now I'm getting the idea that the "overflow" part may just be a way of increasing the probability of there being a deadlock somewhere in all those Wait chains.  This morning the number of threads was only 35 and only a few of them were in a Wait chain.  Nevertheless it was only after finding RuntimeBroker stuck at the bottom of a Wait chain for explorer.exe and killing it there that my Start Menu, Project dialog, Action Center, etc. all sprang to life after appearing to be just a symptom of some unresponsive keystrokes.  This was at the start of my day.  The Surface 2 Pro had been idle for long enough that I needed to use the power button to wake it up.  The only thing that I had done to disable my environment was power off my monitor to prevent the MWDA from burning a hole in it with its announcement and power off the Surface RT because it also seems to have trouble staying asleep otherwise.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 11:23 AM
  •  I had another BSOD this morning.  I couldn't imagine why restart took twenty minutes, until I read the screen.  Updates failed to install and was undoing the process. 

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0922: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3156421).  My logs showed that in a five hour period, I had 21 of these following errors -Update Windows license and product key tokens failed with 0x80070005. Why is it trying to hard and so often to install?  

In rehabilitating my computer, I learned through WUshowhide that this update was not hidden. Is there an expiration date on the function? Then I was getting security warnings because Defender wasn't on.  As it turns out, Defender wasn't even accessible.  (I checked it yesterday to answer your questions.)  The ON button is greyed out.  I checked each of the individual files/folders/updates, I ran sfc.exe.   It's in my files, and I think all files are complete, but I can't fix it.  **Neither can Microsoft - it has been an issue for at least three years without a solution.  After updates, as well.  WOW.

No matter what the independent test labs say, I wanted Defender back.  Running scannow determined my laptop to be in fantastic shape. How is that possible? At any rate, I just installed BitDefender and I am done fighting this side of the computer.   

Glad to hear we are making progress. It seems reasonable to think that I am dealing with more of the aftermath of the CU trying to install on my computer. Don't you agree?  If nothing else, these past ten days show the utter travesty of the decision by MS to take away OUR right to determine how and when to install our own updates.  If I have to be at the mercy of MS on a monthly basis, I'll start a riot.  Stephanie, I imagine that you are working with several people and issues, and I realize that I add things to the conversation that my not be relevant to solving my problem, but I would appreciate a response here.  Thank you.

I deal with your chores tonight. 

It appears that you have multiple issues going on. One is the update not installing and the other is the BSODs. I am working on tracking down both. Your logs and crash dumps have been very helpful in helping us get these tracked down. As far as I know there is no expiration on hiding an update.

You mentioned that Windows Defender toggle is grayed out, can you tell if it is running?

The scan you ran, was that through Defender or a different app?

Please keep telling me the symptoms you experience. I would much rather hear everything and get things that aren't relevant, than miss something that is relevant.

Thank you so much for continuing to get us more data as we work through these issues.

Stephanie Anderl [MSFT]

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 4:25 PM
  • Stephanie -

First command succeeded.

Second command failed as cannot find path.

Third command succeeded. 

I ran it three times. 

Same sequence, with the same result.  Posted results to OneDrive - see Joshua 88 GetAcl.  

Thank you.

Thanks for running the commands. Can you send us the SPPAcls.txt file?
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 4:32 PM
  • I'm experiencing the problem described at:  social.technet.microsoft.com Windows 10IT Pro /Windows 10 Hardware & Performance section and title is "Cumulative update KB 3156421 issues".

only after installation of KB 3156421.

Any help??

Thanks.

• Edited by Interface_01 Wednesday, May 25, 2016 4:54 PM modification
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 4:52 PM
  • Stephanie,

I thought that there was some sort of notice for new responses to my posts in my account.  I come on in the morning - at least after 8 Pacific - and then I look again after work.   (I wrote to find out how to use my account for something useful, such as what we are doing here.)

I used PowerShell for the first time after you asked me to the other day.  I have to learn how to get the file for you.  I thought maybe your three sequences had to successfully run in order to give you the results that you needed. Whatever I sent to OneDrive should have told you that I have no idea what you requested or how to get them, right?

Reading and learning to retrieve PowerShell data after I finish here.  You'll have it soon. 

Thank you.

• Edited by Noah881 Thursday, May 26, 2016 12:49 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 12:08 AM
  • Stephanie,

I have more logs, as I got two BSODs yesterday.  If they are so helpful, I will upload new ones under Joshua88.  I just searched my computer for wushowhide, and I got two hits, other than the cab diagnostic.  I ran a scan for AdvancedSystemCare on Monday, so I have the ASC scan and I ran a diagnostic scan for Iobit last night  - which is a very detailed zip file after running two programs with which I had results issues.  Would they help you?   Which would you want?  

If there is no expiration on hiding updates, then wushowhide,diagcab is coming off HIDE all by itself, as I would not dare to unhide Cumulative Updates after the trouble I'm having.  Yes?  Why?

Defender was definitely not running.  I was getting warnings (your computer is not protected, etc.).
    No, it could not have been running, otherwise all of my notifications were totally screwy and I have more problems than those we are discussing.  When I installed BitDefender, of course, Defender would have turned off. Since I get no warnings that my system is unprotected, I am sure that my notifications are working and Defender was not working.

Here are the Event logs: The Windows Defender Network Inspection Service service failed to start due to the following error:
    Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.
    The avc3 service failed to start due to the following error:  A device attached to the system is not functioning.  (Whether Windows or BitDefender, I don't know.)

The scan that I ran (as I wrote above) was sfc /scannow.  (I cleaned out a bunch of clone files, empty folders -- and more -  a lot of cleanup with ASC (Iobit), so I ran scannow after Iobit to fix possible errors that weren't found in the ASC scan.)  Losing Defender. I would have thought it would have found and fixed or tried to fix it.  (There is a method to my madness.)

Since I first heard the word pipeline in PowerShell, here are some regular event viewer ERRORS: What I read about in services seemed to indicate this error is not an issue for me or in Win10, but the first two have persisted since I've been reading the logs (5/14).  In other words, I am under the impression that I don't need or use the following, but maybe (if internet related) it's causing/contributing to my Firefox-outlook.com issues.

The NetTcpActivator service depends on the NetTcpPortSharing service which failed to start because of the following error:  The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
    The NetPipeActivator service failed to start due to the following error:  The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

I also get this warning every day after I've had a BSOD shutdown: Task Scheduler service found a misconfiguration in the NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ConfigureInternetTimeService definition. Additional Data: Error Value: %SystemRoot%\ehome\ehPrivJob.exe.

The Media Center has additional warnings other than Configure Internet Time Service.  Let me know if they would be of value.

Thank you - I hope you find these useful, as I find them curious.

You are welcome.

• Edited by Noah881 Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:35 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 12:45 AM
  • Stephanie,

I sent one text result to OneDrive (Joshua88) from your first command.  I don't know if it's complete, but it sure doesn't look like a list.

At this time of day, and with what is going on, I'm not able to figure out how to turn your commands into new PowerShell commands. For some reason, line one was easier to work with than the third.

Please help me break up your command so that I can enter it properly as mine.   If the first is unreadable, or too tedious as is, I'm sure you could type quickly what I can't do tonight.

Please treat both one and three that way.  Thanks for bailing me out here, and thank you for treating me like someone who can handle the tasks you give me.  I don't play with or write script, but I like this level of troubleshooting. 

Now that I understand a little about where you are going with this, it looks promising.  And it would also solve my Notepad denied issue, wouldn't it?  Be nice to finish one thing by Friday. 

Thank you.

• Edited by Noah881 Thursday, May 26, 2016 2:50 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 2:43 AM
  • Stephanie,

I sent one text result to OneDrive (Joshua88) from your first command.  I don't know if it's complete, but it sure doesn't look like a list.

At this time of day, and with what is going on, I'm not able to figure out how to turn your commands into new PowerShell commands. For some reason, line one was easier to work with than the third.

Please help me break up your command so that I can enter it properly as mine.   If the first is unreadable, or too tedious as is, I'm sure you could type quickly what I can't do tonight.

Please treat both one and three that way.  Thanks for bailing me out here, and thank you for treating me like someone who can handle the tasks you give me.  I don't play with or write script, but I like this level of troubleshooting. 

Now that I understand a little about where you are going with this, it looks promising.  And it would also solve my Notepad denied issue, wouldn't it?  Be nice to finish one thing by Friday. 

Thank you.

The txt file you uploaded wasn't what we were expecting for the output. Can you try again? I modified the last part of the command (which is just saving the output to a file) so that it is explicit. If your drive isn't called "c," then update it to the name of your drive. Run the commands one at a time (I removed the second one since it didn't work, so you only need to run the two below). The commands will append, not overwrite, to the same file, which is what we want.

Launch PowerShell and run the commands one at a time. There shouldn't be any output to the PowerShell window unless there is an error with the command (like you saw when you ran the second command earlier).

Get-Acl C:\windows\system32\spp\store\2.0\* | Format-List >> c:\temp\SPPAcls.txt

Get-Acl -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\*" | Format-list >> c:\temp\SPPAcls.txt

Upload the SPPAcls.txt file which you will find in c:\temp (or whatever drive you used in the temp folder).

Thursday, May 26, 2016 6:45 PM
  • Stephanie,

I have more logs, as I got two BSODs yesterday.  If they are so helpful, I will upload new ones under Joshua88.  I just searched my computer for wushowhide, and I got two hits, other than the cab diagnostic.  I ran a scan for AdvancedSystemCare on Monday, so I have the ASC scan and I ran a diagnostic scan for Iobit last night  - which is a very detailed zip file after running two programs with which I had results issues.  Would they help you?   Which would you want?  

If there is no expiration on hiding updates, then wushowhide,diagcab is coming off HIDE all by itself, as I would not dare to unhide Cumulative Updates after the trouble I'm having.  Yes?  Why?

Defender was definitely not running.  I was getting warnings (your computer is not protected, etc.).
    No, it could not have been running, otherwise all of my notifications were totally screwy and I have more problems than those we are discussing.  When I installed BitDefender, of course, Defender would have turned off. Since I get no warnings that my system is unprotected, I am sure that my notifications are working and Defender was not working.

Here are the Event logs: The Windows Defender Network Inspection Service service failed to start due to the following error:
    Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.
    The avc3 service failed to start due to the following error:  A device attached to the system is not functioning.  (Whether Windows or BitDefender, I don't know.)

The scan that I ran (as I wrote above) was sfc /scannow.  (I cleaned out a bunch of clone files, empty folders -- and more -  a lot of cleanup with ASC (Iobit), so I ran scannow after Iobit to fix possible errors that weren't found in the ASC scan.)  Losing Defender. I would have thought it would have found and fixed or tried to fix it.  (There is a method to my madness.)

Since I first heard the word pipeline in PowerShell, here are some regular event viewer ERRORS: What I read about in services seemed to indicate this error is not an issue for me or in Win10, but the first two have persisted since I've been reading the logs (5/14).  In other words, I am under the impression that I don't need or use the following, but maybe (if internet related) it's causing/contributing to my Firefox-outlook.com issues.

The NetTcpActivator service depends on the NetTcpPortSharing service which failed to start because of the following error:  The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
    The NetPipeActivator service failed to start due to the following error:  The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

I also get this warning every day after I've had a BSOD shutdown: Task Scheduler service found a misconfiguration in the NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ConfigureInternetTimeService definition. Additional Data: Error Value: %SystemRoot%\ehome\ehPrivJob.exe.

The Media Center has additional warnings other than Configure Internet Time Service.  Let me know if they would be of value.

Thank you - I hope you find these useful, as I find them curious.

You are welcome.

There's a lot of information here, so bear with me as I try to summarize and verify the information you gave me.

Did your scans find any viruses or malware?

It sounds like Defender was running at one point, and now it isn't, is that correct? The new anti-virus programs you have been using were installed after you noticed Defender was not working, correct? Did you start seeing the Defender notification after you tried to install the update and it failed?

I did a search for avc3 and it appears to be part of Bitdefender. Do you have any anti-virus or anti-malware software currently running on your computer? If no, can you get Windows Defender or Bitdefender to run by launching them manually? If you can, please run a full scan.

Are you seeing all the failures mentioned in your event logs more than once? When did they start, after the first time you tried to update? Do you see the failures again right after a BSOD or do they happen more often?

I'm not sure why you are seeing the update again. I'll try to find out. Did you hide the update again?

Thanks,

Stephanie Anderl [MSFT]

Thursday, May 26, 2016 7:23 PM
  • Stephanie,

Aha?  You mean to tell me that I just had to collect the files from where ever it is that they are saved?

I think I ran - "Get-results" with the first part of your command to get that dump of letters and numbers that I uploaded.  I tried too hard.

Will reread THIS post to make sure that I understand and get texts back to you shortly.  Hopefully, you'll see something obvious today.

I was focusing on this and will read the rest later.

I did glance at the other while searching for this.  I HID AGAIN the cumulative updates - are you kidding?

Thank you.

Thursday, May 26, 2016 9:08 PM
  • Stephanie,

Your first command result is now in OneDrive.

You shouldn't have altered anything.  I reverted to the original text, because the new one did not work.

Command two is now in OneDrive.

Yowie! (Great instructions.)

Thank you.

• Edited by Noah881 Thursday, May 26, 2016 9:31 PM
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 9:24 PM
  • Stephanie,

Your first command result is now in OneDrive.

You shouldn't have altered anything.  I reverted to the original text, because the new one did not work.

Command two is now in OneDrive.

Yowie! (Great instructions.)

Thank you.

I got your files. Sorry that my commands didn't work, but I'm glad we got it all figured out. Were you able to run a full virus/malware scan?
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 10:11 PM
  • Stephanie,

What a productive day!

Any and all scans show my computer is clean, flawless, and running beautifully.  No viruses and no malware.  Prior to yesterday's scan, I scanned Malwarebytes Friday - and no infections.  I have never been breached here, so far.

Defender was running Tuesday, the day you asked me which AV & malware programs I was using.  I installed BitDefender because Windows Defender failed to activate and wouldn't let me activate it, no matter which steps or troubleshooting programs I tried to tried to run.

Defender up and DIED, so I had no choice.  You'll agree.

I started seeing the security warning after the restart from BSOD, yesterday.  

I told you avc3 was either BD or Win Defender. - I checked what I could, but trying to cut down my research time on troubleshooting computers.  I'm sure you can understand.

I did a scan before I completed the installation.  It's clean. BD is my new AV.  (Award-winning antivirus and security software from Bitdefender.)  It is running now, but I don't have to manually launch it, or it is worthless to me.  Agree?  I cannot get Win Defender to run, I am not going to waste my time, as I am done with it - or at least until you figure out what happened.  SCAN was fine.  All scans are always fine.

I have never hand an infection in the fifteen )+/-) years that I've had a computer, and especially in the past ten since I run my business with my computer. 

There are some errors that happen after every BSOD. I've had one or two BSODs every day since 5/14.  Every single day, without exception.  If I never open outlook.com. I won't crash. There are some that repeat  multiple times daily.  I counted over 23 on the License and key tokens Failed in one DAY.  With two daily bsods, let's say these errors are four times daily - some more, some less.  If you want a more detailed log about frequency, just ask me and I'll compile a list for you.  After fourteen days of troubleshooting, the days are beginning to run into each other.  (Seriously.)

The only reason I felt compelled to post event logs is because of the repeated entries.  I tried to rule out the unnecessary (as in avC3), but sometimes it's easier to post trash that will be quickly eliminated because YOU ARE familiar with the program or your search capabilities are better than mine - no doubt.

Yes, errors started on 5/14, the first day of my CU and first ever on this computer BSOD.  I don't normally peruse Event Viewer except once in a great while, so I don't know exactly what has never happened before this incident.  Win10 installed late January, so the from the beginning of log history to now would be very short.

I have no intention of wasting your time with distractions, unless it's something that I think will further your understanding of what has BROKEN my computer.

Yes, to reiterate, of COURSE I hid the update again. 

What I wrote in my letter ABOVE your response is unerringly accurate.  I can change my format for your answers if you would like, if it is easier for you to view things in a list, or numbered - or whatever would help, but you seem to want me to confirm that I actually meant what I wrote. 

I don't mind confirming. 

Thank you.

• Edited by Noah881 Thursday, May 26, 2016 10:30 PM
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 10:19 PM
  • Stephanie,

Good.I scanned yesterday, but I'll run a full scan today.  Don't see why not.

Thank you.

Thursday, May 26, 2016 11:25 PM
  • Stephanie,

What a productive day!

Any and all scans show my computer is clean, flawless, and running beautifully.  No viruses and no malware.  Prior to yesterday's scan, I scanned Malwarebytes Friday - and no infections.  I have never been breached here, so far.

Defender was running Tuesday, the day you asked me which AV & malware programs I was using.  I installed BitDefender because Windows Defender failed to activate and wouldn't let me activate it, no matter which steps or troubleshooting programs I tried to tried to run.

Defender up and DIED, so I had no choice.  You'll agree.

I started seeing the security warning after the restart from BSOD, yesterday.  

I told you avc3 was either BD or Win Defender. - I checked what I could, but trying to cut down my research time on troubleshooting computers.  I'm sure you can understand.

I did a scan before I completed the installation.  It's clean. BD is my new AV.  (Award-winning antivirus and security software from Bitdefender.)  It is running now, but I don't have to manually launch it, or it is worthless to me.  Agree?  I cannot get Win Defender to run, I am not going to waste my time, as I am done with it - or at least until you figure out what happened.  SCAN was fine.  All scans are always fine.

I have never hand an infection in the fifteen )+/-) years that I've had a computer, and especially in the past ten since I run my business with my computer. 

There are some errors that happen after every BSOD. I've had one or two BSODs every day since 5/14.  Every single day, without exception.  If I never open outlook.com. I won't crash. There are some that repeat  multiple times daily.  I counted over 23 on the License and key tokens Failed in one DAY.  With two daily bsods, let's say these errors are four times daily - some more, some less.  If you want a more detailed log about frequency, just ask me and I'll compile a list for you.  After fourteen days of troubleshooting, the days are beginning to run into each other.  (Seriously.)

The only reason I felt compelled to post event logs is because of the repeated entries.  I tried to rule out the unnecessary (as in avC3), but sometimes it's easier to post trash that will be quickly eliminated because YOU ARE familiar with the program or your search capabilities are better than mine - no doubt.

Yes, errors started on 5/14, the first day of my CU and first ever on this computer BSOD.  I don't normally peruse Event Viewer except once in a great while, so I don't know exactly what has never happened before this incident.  Win10 installed late January, so the from the beginning of log history to now would be very short.

I have no intention of wasting your time with distractions, unless it's something that I think will further your understanding of what has BROKEN my computer.

Yes, to reiterate, of COURSE I hid the update again. 

What I wrote in my letter ABOVE your response is unerringly accurate.  I can change my format for your answers if you would like, if it is easier for you to view things in a list, or numbered - or whatever would help, but you seem to want me to confirm that I actually meant what I wrote. 

I don't mind confirming. 

Thank you.

Hi,

I apologize if it seems like I'm asking you to tell me what's happening over and over again. I'm just trying to confirm with you that I am understanding the issues you are seeing so that I don't pass on inaccurate information. The event log errors are helpful and I'm glad to hear your AV scans are clean and that Bitdefender is running. I wanted to make sure you are not in a vulnerable state. I've sent your SPPAcls.txt file to a coworker of mine for further investigation. I'll let you know what steps we should do next, once I hear back. Thanks for sticking with me as we investigate.

Thanks,

Stephanie Anderl [MSFT]

Friday, May 27, 2016 5:43 PM
  • Stephanie,

I said that I don't mind confirming - and I truly do not.  I couldn't get on here last night, so I couldn't tell you that I did another scan.  Just PUPs - that's the extent of "infections" if I get any at all. 

You have no idea - if I didn't have AV protection, I shouldn't be on the computer. 

I understand that the memory dump file has more value than the minidump - especially since you are the end user.  I'll send the report from last night's BSOD and the new (& ongoing) ERROR messages.

Now I'll ask outright - are you notified when messages come in for you here or do you have to monitor the forum?  If I know you need something from me, especially if it's something I can get back to you within fifteen minutes, it would expedite this process.  

What is your schedule -  will you have anything today?  What time should I stop looking for more guidance from you?  I am on the West Coast. 

Thank you.

• Edited by Noah881 Friday, May 27, 2016 9:38 PM
    Friday, May 27, 2016 9:35 PM
  • Stephanie,

I just uploaded three minidumps from the latest two days.

++++++++

I just ran dm_log collector.exe and it included the three minidumps that I just sent, so I will delete those and upload this new zip (Joshua88).

Thank you.

• Edited by Noah881 Friday, May 27, 2016 10:31 PM
    Friday, May 27, 2016 9:49 PM
  • Hi John,

Could you please, when possible, take a look at this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a43b522b-8583-42ca-a806-3dfdcf015f10/cumulative-update-kb3156421-issues?forum=win10itprohardware

and provide any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Monday, May 30, 2016 4:52 PM
  • Stephanie,

I said that I don't mind confirming - and I truly do not.  I couldn't get on here last night, so I couldn't tell you that I did another scan.  Just PUPs - that's the extent of "infections" if I get any at all. 

You have no idea - if I didn't have AV protection, I shouldn't be on the computer. 

I understand that the memory dump file has more value than the minidump - especially since you are the end user.  I'll send the report from last night's BSOD and the new (& ongoing) ERROR messages.

Now I'll ask outright - are you notified when messages come in for you here or do you have to monitor the forum?  If I know you need something from me, especially if it's something I can get back to you within fifteen minutes, it would expedite this process.  

What is your schedule -  will you have anything today?  What time should I stop looking for more guidance from you?  I am on the West Coast. 

Thank you.

I have to monitor the forum. Sorry I didn't see these sooner. I hope you had a great long weekend. At this point, we have collected as much as we can, so I'm going to work on getting you out of this state instead of debugging/investigating. Can you try restoring to a snapshot before the first time the update started trying to install (I think that was 5/14)? 

Thanks,

Stephanie Anderl [MSFT]

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 6:05 PM
  • S-

Do not have a snapshot account from which to restore.

Yes, good weekend, thank you.

I loaded a new file on the 29th - latest crash reports (multi-files).  Check it out.

I do not doubt that you are doing more than responding to me. I was (and am) trying to find out when I should look for your post so that I can respond more quickly.  Maybe we can accomplish twice as much as we are actually accomplishing. 

On one task a day, this is prolonged beyond necessary. 

++++++++

Stephanie - I sent a new MEMORY.dmp (Joshua88) to OneDrive. 

Do these tell you what I was doing immediately before the crash? 

Today, I didn't access outlook.com, yet.  I went to one of the websites I would expect to go and got an immediate BSOD (using Firefox, of course).  May try IE just for kicks. 

Thank you.

• Edited by Noah881 Wednesday, June 1, 2016 12:30 AM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:43 PM
  • S-

Do not have a snapshot account from which to restore.

Yes, good weekend, thank you.

I loaded a new file on the 29th - latest crash reports (multi-files).  Check it out.

I do not doubt that you are doing more than responding to me. I was (and am) trying to find out when I should look for your post so that I can respond more quickly.  Maybe we can accomplish twice as much as we are actually accomplishing. 

On one task a day, this is prolonged beyond necessary. 

++++++++

Stephanie - I sent a new MEMORY.dmp (Joshua88) to OneDrive. 

Do these tell you what I was doing immediately before the crash? 

Today, I didn't access outlook.com, yet.  I went to one of the websites I would expect to go and got an immediate BSOD (using Firefox, of course).  May try IE just for kicks. 

Thank you.

I’ve looked into your crash dumps and they show that the crashes occur when Firefox is used, which we have already suspected given the symptoms. We are not seeing a widespread issue, so we believe you likely have a file corrupted on your computer. To get the crashes to stop please try the following:

1. Uninstall and Reinstall Firefox, make sure Firefox is fully cleaned up when it is uninstalled. If the BSODs stop then you can stop here otherwise continue.
    2. Use a different browser (IE, Edge, Chrome, etc.). When Firefox updates, see if the crash is still happening with a newer version of Firefox.
    3. Refresh the computer. Refreshing will reinstalls Windows 10 and will keep your personal files and settings. You can find the steps to refresh here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc.

Thanks,

Stephanie Anderl [MSFT]

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 7:54 PM
  • Stephanie,

Not widespread - am I the only person?  You said you thought a few things were happening.  Why would Firefox affect the Cumulative Updates? 

I will do as you suggest with FF,  but you should know that I installed a new Firefox version May 29.  

Let me understand #2 -- after reinstalling Firefox, you want me to use another browser to see if it still crashes?  It takes a moment to reinstall, so it's not like I have to use another browser while installing. To be clear, I am using the newest /latest Firefox version. I'm reinstalling v46.0.1.

As far as your third suggestion, this computer does not have a refresh option.  Resetting is not an option.  Restore to a previous date is the only thing that I could do with this current configuration.  I can't logically restore to 5/14 without losing almost three weeks of daily new and changed data.  That's NOT a viable solution.  What would you suggest instead? 

I conduct business from home every day.  Can't afford to be down.  Can't afford to spend every day troubleshooting, either, but so be it.   You might have an answer tonight.

Thank you.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 12:48 AM
  • Your data should be in a separate partition. e.g. I have C:\ for windows and D:\ for data. I have done restores, refreshes and resets and my data was not lost. Also you could back up your data to a thumb drive and restore later.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 1:20 AM
  • My data is not in a separate partition.  Everything in documents in C.

I am not concerned about losing my data, but if I restore to May 14, I will lose all of the changes that began on May 15 to the date I restore.  My backup is saved to a hard drive, but I still cannot restore data made after the new data has been wiped out by the restore.   I can't even begin to parse out those details (if available) after twelve hours at my desk.

Don't mean to be difficult, but I don't think you understand as much as might be helpful to you in advising me.

This home version doesn't do refresh and resets - they are not an option.  I use Win7 Backup and Restore, not this new Save History thing, which is the wrong kind of backup for the backups that I do.

Thank you for your input - and feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 2:04 AM
  • Stephanie,

I don't like to disagree with the person who's attempting to save my ass, but I do not think you have ended up in the right place. That has nothing to do with the fact that I had a BSOD after reinstalling Firefox.  I had multiple issues.  What clues are in my files?

After five minutes of reinstalling Firefox, I got a BSOD.  (I was in email > Firefox.)  Is your solution related to Kernel Security Check Failure?  There are a few new error messages (ignoring the meaningless ones), but for the most part, I saw two that I always see and have been posted.  What about the persistent - and same old error logs from TODAY's event viewer?  

What about permissions?

I just uploaded two dumps from today.  Two BSODs - one before the reinstall and one after. 

The other part of my message above remains intact.  I'll check in around 9am, Pacific.  If not then, next at around 12.  Let me know when to come back for another step.

Thank you.

• Edited by Noah881 Thursday, June 2, 2016 2:30 AM
    Thursday, June 2, 2016 2:22 AM
  • What good is a backup if you can not use it to restore the current state of your data ?

Why not do a simple copy of your documents to a non-windows partition or a thumb drive or OneDrive (the cloud) and restore documents from there?

I have Windows 10 home version and it does refreshes and restores. (Settings -> Updates and Security -> Recovery)

Thursday, June 2, 2016 4:14 AM
  • What about "Use a different browser (IE, Edge, Chrome, etc.)"? Do you still get BSODs if you do not use Firefox to read your mail ?

Patient says "Doctor it hurts when I do this".  Doctor says "Don't do that".

Thursday, June 2, 2016 4:29 AM
  • Stephanie,

I don't like to disagree with the person who's attempting to save my ass, but I do not think you have ended up in the right place. That has nothing to do with the fact that I had a BSOD after reinstalling Firefox.  I had multiple issues.  What clues are in my files?

After five minutes of reinstalling Firefox, I got a BSOD.  (I was in email > Firefox.)  Is your solution related to Kernel Security Check Failure?  There are a few new error messages (ignoring the meaningless ones), but for the most part, I saw two that I always see and have been posted.  What about the persistent - and same old error logs from TODAY's event viewer?  

What about permissions?

I just uploaded two dumps from today.  Two BSODs - one before the reinstall and one after. 

The other part of my message above remains intact.  I'll check in around 9am, Pacific.  If not then, next at around 12.  Let me know when to come back for another step.

Thank you.

I understand that you cannot continue to keep troubleshooting this issue. Thank you so much for troubleshooting as long as you have. It's good to know that you are on the latest version of Firefox. It sucks that reinstalling Firefox did not help. What happens if you use a different browser? I suspect that you will not see the crashes when you use a different browser, since the issue stems from using Firefox. Using a different browser will likely work around the crashes so that you will be able to use your PC without the crashes.

Although the update issues and crashes appeared at the same time, I do not think there is direct cause and effect. It is possible that a file was corrupted around the same time as the update. Our experiences with these issues is that these are often caused by a corrupted file. At this point, I think we should treat these as separate issues. I have given all of the information you have provided to a colleague for investigation into the update issue. I am trying to help you work around and/or resolve the BSOD issue so that your computer will work without crashing.

Please try a different browser and see if that works around the issue.

If you want to continue using Firefox, you will need to refresh the computer. I looked more closely at the instructions (sorry I didn't do it sooner) and they list out the instructions using the UI for Windows 8/8.1. For Windows 10 to do a refresh go to Update & Recovery page in Settings. On the Recovery tab, click the Get Started button under Reset this PC. From here, you will be able to select if you want to keep your personal files, select the option to keep your personal files. Your apps and settings will be removed during the refresh, however your personal files will be saved.

Thanks,

Stephanie Anderl [MSFT]

Thursday, June 2, 2016 4:48 PM
  • Stephanie,

Thank you for checking reset options.  Using your instructions, reset is an option on this computer, but since I have to reload all programs (I previously removed all Windows apps on upgrade), I can't do it until I have extended time to put everything back. 

The crash occurred because I visited a website that has given me BSODS regularly.  I am fifteen years or so with Firefox, also, and it's very rare that I have issues.  Usually a reinstall fixes everything. 

As far as using a different browser, I haven't sat with IE open (I removed the Edge option, although most of the parts are on the computer, because I (and I said earlier) that I hate using IE).  Strongly.  Remember, I also started in Safe Mode and crashed.   Prior to the 5/29 and 6/1 newly installed FF versions, I had an update on May 4 -  and didn't experience any crashes until  I installed Cumulative Updates 14 May.  There are no BSOD issues in the Firefox forum, so this is more than isolated, I'd say. 

Are you telling me that there is no useful data tied to the BSODs in all of the dumps that I uploaded?  It's hard to comprehend that with all of the data I sent that you didn't see a direct cause.  

I ran SFC/scannow and had a clean scan.  Not an error that it couldn't fix, but nothing was found.  Where do these corrupted files hide themselves?  Is there no other troubleshooting program?

So, if we find that I don't crash using IE, that is the solution until either they (FF) update their version or I install an earlier version? To me, that isn't a solution.  It sounds to me that resetting Win 10 is the best and worst way to fix this. 

What are the chances that I will fix most if not all  the Win10 issues that I've had since January? Am I reinstalling what exists on my computer?  (I wonder...)

Thank you.

• Edited by Noah881 Thursday, June 2, 2016 8:17 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:16 PM
  • Mighty Tiger,

Good question.  What good is a Cumulative Update if it causes over two weeks of this?

I thought if anything, I could/would restore it to a date before I had issues, which was 5/14.  Have an external HD.   Thumb drive would be great in the proper size or I'll buy another external.  I am not prepared to cede privacy by using the cloud.   

I just started using Win10 about three months ago.  Haven't checked out all that it does.  I am not enjoying this OS, so exploring doesn't sound much fun. Never had to restore/reset/refresh since the upgrade. (Backups have worked great with all of the transfers and updates since WinXP.) Thank you for correcting me. 

Do you have instructions for creating a partition for data?

Appreciate your suggestions, MT.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:43 PM
  • Mighty Tiger,

You are too logical.  As a creature of habit and ease, what is familiar is so damned convenient.

This should have been a temporary issue. 

Of course, you are right.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:50 PM
  • What partitions (and size, % free) do you currently have ? (ignore recovery partitions and EFI).

Right click on the start menu in lower left corner and select "Disk Management" or use File Manager ("this PC").

Thursday, June 2, 2016 8:32 PM
  • Stephanie,

Thank you for checking reset options.  Using your instructions, reset is an option on this computer, but since I have to reload all programs (I previously removed all Windows apps on upgrade), I can't do it until I have extended time to put everything back. 

The crash occurred because I visited a website that has given me BSODS regularly.  I am fifteen years or so with Firefox, also, and it's very rare that I have issues.  Usually a reinstall fixes everything. 

As far as using a different browser, I haven't sat with IE open (I removed the Edge option, although most of the parts are on the computer, because I (and I said earlier) that I hate using IE).  Strongly.  Remember, I also started in Safe Mode and crashed.   Prior to the 5/29 and 6/1 newly installed FF versions, I had an update on May 4 -  and didn't experience any crashes until  I installed Cumulative Updates 14 May.  There are no BSOD issues in the Firefox forum, so this is more than isolated, I'd say. 

Are you telling me that there is no useful data tied to the BSODs in all of the dumps that I uploaded?  It's hard to comprehend that with all of the data I sent that you didn't see a direct cause.  

I ran SFC/scannow and had a clean scan.  Not an error that it couldn't fix, but nothing was found.  Where do these corrupted files hide themselves?  Is there no other troubleshooting program?

So, if we find that I don't crash using IE, that is the solution until either they (FF) update their version or I install an earlier version? To me, that isn't a solution.  It sounds to me that resetting Win 10 is the best and worst way to fix this. 

What are the chances that I will fix most if not all  the Win10 issues that I've had since January? Am I reinstalling what exists on my computer?  (I wonder...)

Thank you.

Hey Noah,

Stephanie and I chatted about this and also reviewed the dumps again. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do from this end. The dumps clearly show that Firefox is corrupting memory in a way that makes Windows unstable, so Windows is blue-screening itself to prevent ongoing corruption. The fault itself is somewhere in Firefox, and we don't have the possibility of debugging that.

The reason we suspect a corrupt file (and previously suspected malware until you confirmed that the machine was clean) is because yours is the only report we've seen of this. If it were an actual Firefox bug there'd be more reports at least in the Firefox forums and as you've verified, this isn't the case.

I don't understand why uninstalling/reinstalling Firefox isn't clearing the issue; I'd expect this to refresh all of the Firefox binaries. But again, this is something that we unfortunately don't have the tools to debug. We had originally suggested waiting for an update to Firefox in the hopes that such an update would refresh whatever binary is broken.

A reset of Windows is a painful process, but it would push you back to the point of having to reinstall your apps (ouch!) but would also force all things Firefox to be refreshed on your PC, which should clear the issue as well.

I'm sorry, none of these are good options, I know. But since the dumps point to the problem being outside of the Microsoft code base we're just not able to help you crack this nut beyond the options we've provided.

Thanks for persevering with us while we investigated, I hope you're able to get back up and running smoothly either with a FF update or (worst case) a refresh of Windows.

Best,

John Wink [MSFT]

Thursday, June 2, 2016 9:40 PM
  • "The crash occurred because I visited a website that has given me BSODS regularly."

What website is giving you the BSOD regularly ?

Guess I would be willing to go there using Edge and IE one time each to see what happens and report results.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 9:55 PM
  • John,

You are welcome.

I have something going on at Firefox, and something was just suggested.  My hope is that in creating a new profile and refreshing my program files, it will be the answer.

Are you saying that the crash which happened immediately after the cumulative update and ten days after the original May 4 update to Firefox version 46.0.1 has nothing to do with this CU? 

No, you can't be saying that - what about the daily (multiple times daily) ERRORS: Update Windows license and product key tokens failed with 0x80070005, which seems to relate to the subject of your forum?  How do I install the CU - or should that not be an issue?  What about the upcoming CU?  What the HELL do I do?

May I see your debugging files or whatever you've got from the latest uploads?  Since I might be able to get away with not refreshing Win10, there are those other recurring issues that perhaps I -or someone I hire- can  fix.   Can I view anything at OneDrive?

I guess I can delete the debugging kit I just installed.  (I don't know how to use it, but sometimes I am tenacious.)

Thank you for the time and effort.  Please tell Stephanie thank you.

Unfortunately, that solution did not work.  After nineteen days, I have been booted without a real solution.  I can't tell you how disappointed I am.  But, I am looking forward to any functioning data I can use. If I end up refreshing Win10 - which looks like my next option - and it works, what kind of conclusion am I to draw?   TY

• Edited by Noah881 Friday, June 3, 2016 1:29 AM
    Thursday, June 2, 2016 10:04 PM
  • Mighty Tiger,

You couldn't get in - it's someplace I have to login to access. 

I'll worry about the new data partition after I solve this latest drama/trauma. 

Thank you for posting and for offering. 

Friday, June 3, 2016 1:32 AM