none
Massive Replica Growth - 1TB in 30 minutes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In the space of about 30 minutes (which I guess is 2 auto growth operations) one of my replicas has grown by over 1TB in size:

The volume for D:\ has grown from 2,084.35 GB to 2,605.44 GB.

The volume for D:\ has grown from 2,605.44 GB to 3,256.81 GB.

I am now at the point where the replica is inconsistent because it wants more space than is left in the storage pool (500GB left) and I am trying to work out why all of a sudden there has been such a sharp growth when over the last month it's been fairly consistent in the amount of space used. 

Can anybody point me in the direction I should be looking so I can do something about this and get the volume consistent again?

Sunday, March 1, 2015 1:29 PM

All replies

• Hi

Could you please share deployment details? Are you observing this on DPM 2012 R2 Update Rollup5?

Regards, Trinadh [MSFT] This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. If you found the reply helpful, please MARK IT AS ANSWER. Looking for source of information for DPM? http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/hh758173.aspx

Monday, March 2, 2015 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

DPM Server OS: Windows Server 2012 R2 - physical server
    DPM Version: 2012 R2 UR5
    Protected Server OS: Windows Server 2012

Is there anything else you need to know?

Cheers

Adam.

Monday, March 2, 2015 3:08 PM
  • We've noticed similar behavior in our environment after applying UR5 a couple of weeks ago. The protection groups we've seen this with are protecting deduplicated volumes on Server 2012 R2 machines. The size of the replica seems to indicate that these backups are being done at a file (rather than block) level such that the backups are not deduplicated.

Has there been any official word from Microsoft on a change in behavior on how deduplicated volumes are being backed up?

Monday, March 2, 2015 8:32 PM
  • Our volume is also deduplicated.  The consistency check did eventually finish and now the replica size is at 3256.81GB, used 1956.43.

Monday, March 2, 2015 8:37 PM
  • Hi,

DPM 2012 R2 UR5 (4.2.1292) introduced a fix where tape based backups or restores of files that were deduped would fail under the below circumstance.

Backup job for dedupe-enabled volume on Windows 2012 R2 fails. For example, Data Protection Manager backup might fail for following setup:

•Data Protection Manager2012 R2 is installed on Windows Server 2012.
      •Data Protection Manager is protecting a dedupe-enabled volume on Windows Server 2012 R2.

If your DPM Server is running on Windows server 2012 and the protected dedup volume is on Windows server 2012 R2, then after installing UR5, all data will be protected in a non-dedup state.   This is necessary because the Windows Dedup filter on Windows 2012 does not know how to read Windows 2012 R2 dedup data structures which would be the replica volume on the DPM Server. 

If you want DPM to return to optimized backups, you need to upgrade the DPM machines operating system to Windows 2012 R2.  DPM does not support in-place operating system upgrades since Windows does not maintain the DPM mount points under program files. You need backup the DPMDB, to un-install DPM and retain replica, perform the OS upgrade, re-install DPM + UR5, then restore DB and run dpmsync -sync.   

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 30, 2015 3:17 PM