Prevent Changes to Playback Devices RRS feed

• Question

• Our students have begun renaming the default playback device (Speakers) to different names. They do this by right clicking on the audio icon in the task bar- selecting Playback devices - right clicking on the device (Speakers) and selecting Properties. And then renaming it from there.

How can I prevent this? I have already disabled the Microsoft.Sound control panel applet which prevents them from accessing through control panel.

I have tested this on Windows Vista, 7, and 8. All behave the same way. The exact registry key is here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\

I have played around when a lot of registry permissions and can't find one that works. It either allows them to change the name/disable the device or doesn't allow them to do anything (even play audio or change the audio)

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may disable the volume icon in the Control Panel. Then, disable Control Panel with Group Policy.

Control Panel>All Control Panel Items> Notification Area Icons> turn system icons on or off.

Then, disable Control Panel with Prohibit access to the Control Panel policy.

Hope it helps.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by tracycai Monday, October 22, 2012 8:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, October 22, 2012 9:33 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 3:02 AM
  • Hi,

I’m afraid that there isn’t a satisfactory way. We cannot change the volume level when the volume icon is disabled.

Tracy Cai

Monday, October 8, 2012 6:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You may disable the volume icon in the Control Panel. Then, disable Control Panel with Group Policy.

Control Panel>All Control Panel Items> Notification Area Icons> turn system icons on or off.

Then, disable Control Panel with Prohibit access to the Control Panel policy.

Hope it helps.

Tracy Cai

Friday, October 5, 2012 3:02 AM
  • Thank you Tracy! Is there any way to allow users to still change the level of volume?
    Friday, October 5, 2012 11:25 AM
  • Hi,

I’m afraid that there isn’t a satisfactory way. We cannot change the volume level when the volume icon is disabled.

Tracy Cai

Monday, October 8, 2012 6:46 AM