how to configure DNS to support ipv4 and ipv6 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2008 r2 domain controller in my lab.

i'm doing Exchange 2007, 2010 and 2013. I have mix Windows 2008 r2 servers for other applications.

i'm running into issues where i'm thinking it is time to have both IPV4 & IPV6 to run on all lab machines.

I can't get a clear picture on how to accomplish a mix environment. in the DNS administrator do I create a new "reverze lookup zone" with only the IPV6? or do I have to create a new record in the "forward lookup zone" to with both IPV4 & IPV6 which the later points to the new "reverse lookup zone".

I see a lot of internet article but little on "how to".

or on the DC should I enable the DHCP role to support the IPV6?

Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:34 AM

Answers

• Oh yes, after I created the reverse look-up zone, I let the server register its records by itself - or use ipconfig /registerdns

If I recall correctly from yesterday... because I've been very busy and have a lot on my mind.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Marked as answer by hauld Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:25 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:13 PM

All replies

• Edited by britishdhez Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:43 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Monday, April 21, 2014 7:39 AM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:42 AM
  • thank you Britishdhez,

the docs are all and good but it still is unclear on the implementation.

do I create a second record for the all my machines in my lab AD with a ipv6 then create a second "reverse lookup zone" to be house the ipv6 address lookup?

I need a more *how to steps*...

Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:35 AM
  • Hi,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:40 AM
  • thank you Alex.

I appreciate this!

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:42 PM
  • 1. You assign an IPv6 address to the domain controller/DNS server

One method is letting this site (legitimate) create a random private IPv6 range for you:

http://www.simpledns.com/private-ipv6.aspx

For example:

fd06:fcde:8b4e:d6bd:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx

You can configure the x's like this (you cannot leave the x's there):

fd06:fcde:8b4e:d6bd:0000:0000:0000:0001

If you close and open IPv6 properties, or do an "ipconfig /all" you'll see that the IPv6 is abbreviated as follows:

fd06:fcde:8b4e:d6bd::1

That's normal.

If you look in your forward lookup zone, you'll now see this IPv6 address (you may have to register that manually - ipconfig /registerdns - but it seemed to happen automatically for me.

So there is no need to create a separate forward lookup zone for IPv6.

OK, but what about the reverse zone?

2. Create reverse lookup

In DNS Manager (what you call administrator), right-click on reverse lookup zone, select New Zone, click, Next, Next (default values are fine) until you choose between IPv6 and IPv4. Selecft IPv6 of course.

Then enter your prefix as shown here:

That's it. The reverse lookup information is configured automatically (your prefix " backwards").

Now, unlike with the forward lookup zone, my domain controller does not seem to be registering its name in the reverse IPv6 zone: there's only the SOA and NS record.

But that's another question.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:23 PM
  • Otherwise, yes, the other machines in your lab will need a IPv6 address, either assigned manually or via DHCP which is another subject.

If you only have 2,3,4 or 5 machines (virtual or not) in your lab. You can just assign IPv6 addresses manually.

Instead of 1 at the very end, just use 2,3,4,5, etc..

fd06:fcde:8b4e:d6bd:0000:0000:0000:0002

fd06:fcde:8b4e:d6bd:0000:0000:0000:0003

fd06:fcde:8b4e:d6bd:0000:0000:0000:0004

fd06:fcde:8b4e:d6bd:0000:0000:0000:0005

Subnet prefix length can be 64

Default gateway? My lab is a closed network so I just made up a number.

Clients will need the DNS server IP address in IPv6. You can add manually once again.

I did a blog post on configuring an IPv6 DHCP server - but I cannot provide the link right now. Will try to do that later.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:32 PM
  • Dave,

this looking good! I will work on this in my lab and *remark* back.

thanks.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:58 PM
  • sorry for being dense. I just want to do this correct the first time.

you state: "1. You assign an IPv6 address to the domain controller/DNS server", to me this means I go into the DNS administrator and in the DNS server "forward lookup" create a ipv6 record from the DC? so there are two records?

or am I reading too much into this, Dave?

or are you saying that I go into the DC NIC card ipv6 properties and add the data there?

sorry as I stated I want to do this right.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:22 PM
  • I assumed step "1" was to just add the ipv6 to NIC

then in step "2" I created the new reverse lookup zone.

i'm trying to add an IPV6 address for a machine that currently has an IPV4 and I get an error:

DNS: a new record cannot be created. the node cannot be created.

so I assume the machine can only have 1 IP address not both 4 and 6. so I "cannot have" both 4 and 6 per machine? but I "can both in the private network"?

Exchange and new OS seem to want both so it can choose ipv6 to communicate over.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:41 PM
  • Hi,

if you determine to configure IPV6 on DNS server, you need to configure IPV6 reverse zone. whether to enable IPv6 on DHCP or not depends on if you would like to assign IPv6 address to clients

Regards,

Mike

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:42 AM
  • thank you Mike.

but i'm not understanding.

let me try it this way. I currently have all my lab machines using ipv4 via my DNS server.

I want to get ipv6 to work in the lab because i'm noticing that more Microsoft OS and Exchange are using ipv6 addressing when transmitting. so I want to insure quick and proper response.

it appears that in DNS I cannot assign both a ipv4 and ipv6 address, is this correct?

so if the above is true I can either use the manual approach to populate the ipv6 information or add the DHCSPV6 feature/role on my DC to populate the ipv6?

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:56 PM
  • The conversation has evolved since I last posted but I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Yes, you configure what you have in the screenshot in the IPv6 properties of the NIC, not in DNS Manager.

A machine can have one IPv4 address per NIC and *several* IPv6 addresses.

So called "link-local" addresses are automatically configured. They start with FE80.

You can add additional IPv6 addresses - no problem.

You can use either the manual approach or use DHCP for IPv6 - as you can for IPv4.

And yes, I'll try to remember to send you the link about DHCP and IPv6...

http://davidmtechblog.blogspot.com/2013/11/windows-server-2012-dhcp-with-ipv6.html

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:08 PM
  • Oh yes, after I created the reverse look-up zone, I let the server register its records by itself - or use ipconfig /registerdns

If I recall correctly from yesterday... because I've been very busy and have a lot on my mind.

• Marked as answer by hauld Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:25 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:13 PM
  • ok.

after a windows update on the DC and a restart it appears the DNS on the DC is allowing me to create IPV6 addresses for existing IPV4 machines. also it is creating data in the reverse zone.

DC was acting badly.

thank you everyone. this is now resolved.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:25 PM